LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
gael33
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Distribution: Linux Mint 18.0 Cinnamon 64 bit
Posts: 301

Rep: Reputation: 20
Question Personal Cloud?


I know there are a few Personal Clouds out there on the market. I have viewed a few of them and the majority are geared towards Windows or Mac.
I am looking for a Personal Cloud that will work happily with Linux, fairly easy to set up and will link all the gadgets, Android phones/tabs, HDTV, My Linux Mint 16 computer
and my wife's Microsoft Windows 7 Pro computer. I admit I know very little about Personal Clouds except that it will tidy up the mess we call our office of USB drives and external
HDD's. My idea is to centralize all our information into one workable Cloud where we can both access with reasonable ease ... is there such a thing?
What do others use as Person Clouds and can you give a first timer some advice as to the type of Personal Cloud I should consider?

gael.
 
Old 03-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Ryanms3030
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2014
Distribution: Debian, Mint, CentOS, Ubuntu
Posts: 261

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I just set up Owncloud a few weeks ago on a cloud hosted server. My server only has 20gb storage but I just use it to back up important documents so I don't need much space. I use it as redundancy for my Dropbox account. Owncloud is free and it was very simple and fast to set up. There is no reason you can't set it up on your home computer. Or you can buy an appliance. My friend has a Western Digital My Cloud drive. That is a external hard drive that just plugs into your router.
 
Old 03-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Soadyheid
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Location: Near Edinburgh, Scotland
Distribution: Cinnamon Mint 17.0 at present.
Posts: 1,173

Rep: Reputation: 201Reputation: 201Reputation: 201
Personal Cloud?

I have a 2Tb Iomega nas device which attaches to my lan. Iomega is now owned by emc2/Lenovo. There is cloud software which allows me to access it from anywhere on the Internet though it doesn't like 3G connected devices. Too many proxies to allow IP resolution.
The software is available for Windows, Mac & Linux plus there are Apps for Android & iOS devices as well.
I can also access it from my hard wired (cat5) blueray player to watch videos I've ripped down using handbreak.

Play Bonny!


Last edited by Soadyheid; 03-12-2014 at 07:02 PM.
 
Old 03-13-2014, 06:15 AM   #4
gael33
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Distribution: Linux Mint 18.0 Cinnamon 64 bit
Posts: 301

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanms3030 View Post
I just set up Owncloud a few weeks ago on a cloud hosted server. My server only has 20gb storage but I just use it to back up important documents so I don't need much space. I use it as redundancy for my Dropbox account. Owncloud is free and it was very simple and fast to set up. There is no reason you can't set it up on your home computer. Or you can buy an appliance. My friend has a Western Digital My Cloud drive. That is a external hard drive that just plugs into your router.
Thanks for the advice. However, I am looking to purchase something with about 4TB of storage and will work with the different and varying OS's (Windows/Linux/Android) etc. I have been looking at a QNAP TS-212-E ... but it's quite expensive

Thanks, gael
 
Old 03-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
gael33
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Distribution: Linux Mint 18.0 Cinnamon 64 bit
Posts: 301

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soadyheid View Post
I have a 2Tb Iomega nas device which attaches to my lan. Iomega is now owned by emc2/Lenovo. There is cloud software which allows me to access it from anywhere on the Internet though it doesn't like 3G connected devices. Too many proxies to allow IP resolution.
The software is available for Windows, Mac & Linux plus there are Apps for Android & iOS devices as well.
I can also access it from my hard wired (cat5) blueray player to watch videos I've ripped down using handbreak.

Play Bonny!

I may have to rob the piggy bank to get the one I want simply because I have to have a NAS that requires very little maintenance. I am not always on hand to "fix" things and so it may be worth my while to splash out for something that will just tick over in the background without causing an office mutiny. I guess I'll just after keep on looking

Thanks, gael.
 
Old 03-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
Ryanms3030
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2014
Distribution: Debian, Mint, CentOS, Ubuntu
Posts: 261

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by gael33 View Post
Thanks for the advice. However, I am looking to purchase something with about 4TB of storage and will work with the different and varying OS's (Windows/Linux/Android) etc. I have been looking at a QNAP TS-212-E ... but it's quite expensive

Thanks, gael
Owncloud is free. They have Windows/Linux/Android clients and in fact I am using it on all three platforms. It can be installed on any Linux server:

https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-ubuntu-12-10

http://lifehacker.com/5993596/how-to...-with-owncloud

You could build a computer with 4tb of storage and set it up with Owncloud. Or you could use an old computer to with your usb drives. There are also routers that will let you attach usb drives and use them as cloud

http://www.netgear.com/landing/en-us/readyshare.aspx
 
Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
esso82
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Location: Plymouth, UK
Distribution: SolydK
Posts: 45

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I use btsync, also on all major platforms - 2 windows computers, 2 android phones, debian computer - 3 users syncing with my debian home server

easy to set up with good reliability I'd say
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] How can I set up a personal cloud with my server? Ryanms3030 Linux - Virtualization and Cloud 8 02-28-2014 04:24 AM
Personal Cloud Drive Jezzirolk Linux - Server 14 04-13-2013 06:50 AM
Setup a personal cloud server on Centos. aadeshgandhi Linux - Server 4 04-07-2013 09:27 PM
LXer: ownCloud 2: Your Personal Cloud Server LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-19-2011 02:20 PM
Personal Cloud (eyeOS) on Pandaboard Slackware pino_otto Slackware 3 03-11-2011 10:55 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration