LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
EGR
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2006
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Partitioning in spite of bad sector


I have a Gateway 4530 laptop that I am trying to get to dual-boot with Ubuntu Linux and XP (it's currently running on WinXP). I originally tried the partition tool that came with the Ubuntu installation, but it never worked for me (it would encounter an error, and refuse to let me proceed without explanation).

I tried again with QTparted then. It won't let me proceed either, but it at least tells me why: bad sector. I was pretty surprised, seeing as Scandisk had never run into anything before and even running it now fails to detect any disk damage. Same with HDD regenerator. So far, the only programme beside QT to have found the bad sector was Spinrite, and it failed to repair it completely.

The HD is a FUJITSU MHT2080AT 80GB, most of which (60GB) is free space.

Anyway, my question is, what should I do to partition anyway? I know ntfs resizer has an option to partition in spite of bad sectors -- is it reliable, but also, how complicated is it to use, compared with QT? Any other options available?

Finally, would wiping the drive be of any help? As a last resort, I would be willing to do this, but I am not sure about the usefulness: the HD will still need to be partitioned even if I install Linux only, right?

Thanks very much much already,
EGR
 
Old 05-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Randux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Siberia
Distribution: Slackware & Slamd64. What else is there?
Posts: 1,705

Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGR
I have a Gateway 4530 laptop that I am trying to get to dual-boot with Ubuntu Linux and XP (it's currently running on WinXP). I originally tried the partition tool that came with the Ubuntu installation, but it never worked for me (it would encounter an error, and refuse to let me proceed without explanation).

I tried again with QTparted then. It won't let me proceed either, but it at least tells me why: bad sector. I was pretty surprised, seeing as Scandisk had never run into anything before and even running it now fails to detect any disk damage. Same with HDD regenerator. So far, the only programme beside QT to have found the bad sector was Spinrite, and it failed to repair it completely.

The HD is a FUJITSU MHT2080AT 80GB, most of which (60GB) is free space.

Anyway, my question is, what should I do to partition anyway? I know ntfs resizer has an option to partition in spite of bad sectors -- is it reliable, but also, how complicated is it to use, compared with QT? Any other options available?

Finally, would wiping the drive be of any help? As a last resort, I would be willing to do this, but I am not sure about the usefulness: the HD will still need to be partitioned even if I install Linux only, right?

Thanks very much much already,
EGR
qtparted is normally pretty good. If it's only one bad sector, you can certainly partition around it without difficulty. Just get the number and go into linux fdisk and use the option (might be on the "expert" menu) and convert the display to sectors. Calculate how and where you want your partitions and set them up accordingly.

Alternatively, assuming a typical *bloze installation where XP has comandeered your entire drive, is the bad sector expected to be inside the NTFS filesystem after you've resized it? If so, perhaps you can let *bloze deal with the problem. I should think ntfsresize would accomodate the bad sector by just working around it, and you won't have to deal with it at all. Just tell qtparted to resize it, and then use linux fdisk or cfdisk to create partitions after the end of your ntfs partition. Remember to create partitions only on even cylinder boundaries, for best results.
 
Old 05-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
EGR
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2006
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Randux, thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randux
I should think ntfsresize would accomodate the bad sector by just working around it, and you won't have to deal with it at all. Just tell qtparted to resize it, and then use linux fdisk or cfdisk to create partitions after the end of your ntfs partition.
Well, my problem is precisely that qtparted will not allow me to resize at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randux
If it's only one bad sector, you can certainly partition around it without difficulty. Just get the number and go into linux fdisk and use the option (might be on the "expert" menu) and convert the display to sectors. Calculate how and where you want your partitions and set them up accordingly
How do I get the `number' of the bad sector, though? When I ran Spinrite, it identified it as `Drive sector: 6,355,289-6,355,290'. I also tried to do the partition with GParted, and the error message I got was: `Bad cluster oxc1f23-oxc1f23 (1), cluster size 4096 bytes'. Is either one of those it?

EGR
 
Old 05-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
EGR
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2006
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Ok, I managed to do it. I used ntfsresize with the bad sector option,
and it worked like a charm. Almost done installing UbuntuLinux now.

Cheers,
EG
 
Old 05-23-2006, 04:42 AM   #5
Randux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Siberia
Distribution: Slackware & Slamd64. What else is there?
Posts: 1,705

Rep: Reputation: 54
Great! Thanks for posting back.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how can i partition around a bad sector ? nephish Linux - Hardware 13 12-02-2005 09:45 AM
Bad sector woes :S kevingpo Fedora 4 07-07-2005 03:57 AM
Bad Sector Hard Drive tsigane Linux - Hardware 16 08-15-2004 04:07 AM
bad sector in HDD ??? hitesh_linux Linux - General 2 06-20-2003 04:54 PM
how to check for bad sector nakkaya Linux - General 1 01-16-2003 08:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration