LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2004, 04:27 AM   #1
trotsky
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: Debian Sarge 3.1
Posts: 21

Rep: Reputation: 15
Partitioning for installation


Hi.
I am going to install Debian Sarge on my computer. I currently run Windows XP.
I have no partitions on my disk right now. The fs I currently use is FAT32. My harddisk has 120 GB of space, and about 25 GB's of used space. I want to keep Windows on my computer. I would also like to keep all the files I have on my disk on a future windows partition.

I wonder if I have to partition my disk before linux installation, or if the debian installer can do it itself. If I have to partition the disk, do I have to make an ext3 partition? Please point me to a free partition tool.

Also that about the 1024 cylinder limit confuses me. My BIOS is "Award Software, Inc. ASUS P4S800 ACPI BIOS Revision 1004".

Thanks in advance
/Trotsky
 
Old 12-23-2004, 05:11 AM   #2
MasterC
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, UT - USA
Distribution: Gentoo ; LFS ; Kubuntu
Posts: 12,612

Rep: Reputation: 64
Re: Partitioning for installation

Quote:
Originally posted by trotsky
Hi.
I am going to install Debian Sarge on my computer. I currently run Windows XP.
I have no partitions on my disk right now.
Probably just don't realize it, but you couldn't actually have a filesystem without a partition, not even an NTFS one... It's just a terminology thing
Quote:
The fs I currently use is FAT32. My harddisk has 120 GB of space, and about 25 GB's of used space. I want to keep Windows on my computer. I would also like to keep all the files I have on my disk on a future windows partition.
You and everyone who wants to try linux but not completely give up windows. If you really want to install Linux, read on, otherwise, grab Knoppix and use it for your 'linux preview' if that is what you are trying to do. It's Debian based.

Quote:
I wonder if I have to partition my disk before linux installation, or if the debian installer can do it itself. If I have to partition the disk, do I have to make an ext3 partition? Please point me to a free partition tool.
There used to be a free windows partitioning tool that would do all of this for you, but I don't remember what it's called, and more so, I don't even know if it still exists. If you have the means and ability, I'd suggest ghosting your current disk. Then, whatever you choose to do beyond that, can always be reversed, quickly and easily, but ghost isn't free either... I wish I could help you further here, but basically you have the option of acquiring (maybe a friend has a copy?) a copy of Partition Magic. This is the best way I've heard to partition your current windows setup without losing anything.
Quote:
Also that about the 1024 cylinder limit confuses me. My BIOS is "Award Software, Inc. ASUS P4S800 ACPI BIOS Revision 1004".

Thanks in advance
/Trotsky
Pay no attention to that. It's for old schoolers, older than your motherboard.

My personal idea on how to achieve what you want using "free as in beer" tools:
Backup all your files. Can't? Too big? Take your chances, but realize you could lose it all.
Throw knoppix in there, partition up the HD into segments of your desired size. Install XP. Install Linux onto the partition you created, install LILO into the MBR, live happily ever after dual booting.

Other options are mentioned above, but the tools to go that route are not "free as in beer" but will do the job. You might want to google for the free windows partition manager to see if you can find it.

Cool
 
Old 12-23-2004, 09:32 AM   #3
slakmagik
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 4,113

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Re: Re: Partitioning for installation

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterC
There used to be a free windows partitioning tool that would do all of this for you, but I don't remember what it's called, and more so, I don't even know if it still exists.
Not sure if this is what you meant, but there's 'fips' - 'First Interactive non-destructive Partition Splitter' or something.

And not that you'd want to rely on this, but I just split an external hard drive into FAT32 and reiser and the data was still there in the remainder of the FAT partition.

-- Oh yeah: there's also Ranish Partition Manager and 'presizer' (Partition Resizer). Dunno about with XP - might not matter as FAT32's the main thing and I think they cover those, though they were originally designed for DOS, IIRC.

Last edited by slakmagik; 12-23-2004 at 09:34 AM.
 
Old 12-24-2004, 05:07 AM   #4
trotsky
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: Debian Sarge 3.1
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thank you very much. I am now posting from Debian Sarge .
 
Old 12-24-2004, 05:41 AM   #5
MasterC
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, UT - USA
Distribution: Gentoo ; LFS ; Kubuntu
Posts: 12,612

Rep: Reputation: 64
Cool good to hear, and yes, it was Ranish I was referring to, thanks digiot!

Cool
 
Old 12-24-2004, 05:50 AM   #6
SlackerLX
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Herzliyya, Israel
Distribution: SuSE 10.1; Testing Distros
Posts: 1,834

Rep: Reputation: 47
Re: Re: Partitioning for installation

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterC

You and everyone who wants to try linux but not completely give up windows. If you really want to install Linux, read on, otherwise, grab Knoppix and use it for your 'linux preview' if that is what you are trying to do. It's Debian based.
Cool
I did, MasterC!
No M$ product on this Box. My kids play M$ games on different box

Last edited by MasterC; 12-24-2004 at 05:53 AM.
 
Old 12-24-2004, 05:54 AM   #7
MasterC
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, UT - USA
Distribution: Gentoo ; LFS ; Kubuntu
Posts: 12,612

Rep: Reputation: 64
Good deal! I have 3 boxes with solely Linux, but the lappy has to retain XP until I can get my wife fluently speaking geek.

Cool
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware installation: partitioning (help!) maxmax Slackware - Installation 2 09-26-2005 07:29 PM
Partitioning ideas for installation argarc Slackware 11 03-21-2005 12:21 PM
SUSE Installation Partitioning rob0t Linux - General 2 02-14-2005 04:36 PM
SUSE installation partitioning rob0t SUSE / openSUSE 3 02-13-2005 08:31 PM
Partitioning after installation stingerbee Linux - Software 10 08-04-2004 07:55 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration