1.Turn on computer
Xwindows starts and you are in a "windows-like" screen with icons and stuff to click
3. Click on the "start button"
-this will look like either a K (KDE) or a footprint (GNOME)
4. Select "System Tools" from the menu, then "Terminal"
-that will cause a little window to appear with a command line and a prompt. Like: [goosegg@localhost goosegg]$
5 Type: su -
-linux will then prompt you for a password
6. Enter the root password
-now the prompt will look something like this:
9. Using the down arrow key, move down to the file to the line that says: x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
-For me (redhat 8.0) this was at the bottom of the file and I had to press the down arrow 56 times.
10. Using the right arrow key, move over 2 spaces so that the "5" is under the cursor (highlighted)
11. Press the "r" key
-this will put vi in the "replace mode"; doesn't really matter what this means.
12. Press the "3" key
-this will magically swap the "5" with a "3"
12. Press the SHIFT and colon-semicolon(
key, so that you see a : appear at the bottom left hand corner of the screen
and hit enter.
and make sure that the edit worked.
15. Spin around in you chair yelling "w000t, w000t, I am a linux GOD!" over and over.
Just checked the post and it looks like you figured it out, but since I went through the trouble, I'll post it anyway.