LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
manuleka
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 114

Rep: Reputation: 16
nVidia.ko issue with kernel 2.6.27.24-179.2.68


just ran update lastnight and i got this error message on login, which results in a blank white screen

Code:
.......
checking for module nvidia.ko                                                 FAILED
nvidia.ko for kernel 2.6.27.24-170.2.68.fc10.i686 was not found               WARNING
the nvidia driver will not be enabled untill one is found                     WARNING
.......
how do i get into console mode again?

by the way i'm running Fedora 10
 
Old 05-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
pljvaldez
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere on the String
Distribution: Debian Wheezy (x86)
Posts: 6,094

Rep: Reputation: 271Reputation: 271Reputation: 271
CTRL+ALT+F1 should get you to a console.
 
Old 05-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.8, Centos 5.10
Posts: 17,241

Rep: Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325
Use the install DVD to boot and type

linux rescue

at the prompt

That will boot off the DVD and enable you to mount your disks (should offer to do that for you).
Then, edit /etc/inittab and set init default line to have a 3 instead of a 5.
This will then enable you to boot into CLI mode from the HDD.

The message means your current/new kernel does not have a matching nvidia module.
With any luck you can edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and set the default boot kernel to the old one. If this works, you can reset inittab entry to 5 to get GUI boot.

At some point you'll need to get an update nvidia.ko kernel module to match your latest kernel.
 
Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
manuleka
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 114

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism01 View Post
Use the install DVD to boot and type

linux rescue

at the prompt

That will boot off the DVD and enable you to mount your disks (should offer to do that for you).
Then, edit /etc/inittab and set init default line to have a 3 instead of a 5.
This will then enable you to boot into CLI mode from the HDD.

The message means your current/new kernel does not have a matching nvidia module.
With any luck you can edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and set the default boot kernel to the old one. If this works, you can reset inittab entry to 5 to get GUI boot.

At some point you'll need to get an update nvidia.ko kernel module to match your latest kernel.
i can easily go to the previous kernel on grub but how can it be i'm using an old or incompatible nvidia driver, i've just installed it in less than a week ago using kmod..

maybe i should just download the latest driver and install it manually
 
Old 05-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.8, Centos 5.10
Posts: 17,241

Rep: Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325
Each driver has to match the kernel version exactly.
If you've installed anew kernel, you need a matching driver.
 
Old 05-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
manuleka
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 114

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism01 View Post
Each driver has to match the kernel version exactly.
If you've installed anew kernel, you need a matching driver.
ok... so that goes for all components on the computer? im having issues now with my usb wireless after installing new kernel, even when i boot in to previous kernel (where the currently installed nvidia version works fine) wireless isn't working properly (doesn't connect to my wireless router)

i'm posting from Windows :|

i'm gonna have to stop running update everytime any is available... especially with kernels...
 
Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
ArfaSmif
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Location: Brisbane Australia
Distribution: Always back to Fedora
Posts: 263

Rep: Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuleka View Post
ok... so that goes for all components on the computer? im having issues now with my usb wireless after installing new kernel, even when i boot in to previous kernel (where the currently installed nvidia version works fine) wireless isn't working properly (doesn't connect to my wireless router)

i'm posting from Windows :|

i'm gonna have to stop running update everytime any is available... especially with kernels...
Yes - that is a good idea. You need to wait until the nvidia module is available at the same time as the new kernel - usually a day later. Always see what is being upgraded with :-

# yum list updates

You can probably get out of this easily by using the command line and running

# yum list updates

If you see the matching nvidia module for your new kernel then you are in luck. Simply type

# yum upgrade

and it all should be ok.
 
Old 05-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
manuleka
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 114

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pljvaldez View Post
CTRL+ALT+F1 should get you to a console.
when do i click this? my xserver won't load (well nvidia wouldn't loadt) so how can i get to console on bootup?

any easier way other than having to loadup another Installer media and edit inittab?

cheers

Last edited by manuleka; 05-27-2009 at 11:33 PM.
 
Old 05-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
pljvaldez
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere on the String
Distribution: Debian Wheezy (x86)
Posts: 6,094

Rep: Reputation: 271Reputation: 271Reputation: 271
You can try that even though you have a blank xserver screen. The other thing you can do is use grub to append "single" to the end of the kernel line. You can get a grub command prompt by typing "c" instead of hitting enter (or type "e" to edit the line and then put "single" at the end. Single is basically recovery mode, you're the root user so be very careful!
 
Old 05-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
manuleka
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 114

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pljvaldez View Post
You can try that even though you have a blank xserver screen. The other thing you can do is use grub to append "single" to the end of the kernel line. You can get a grub command prompt by typing "c" instead of hitting enter (or type "e" to edit the line and then put "single" at the end. Single is basically recovery mode, you're the root user so be very careful!
i'm boot into other two previous kernels and they both have white screen too

is there a way of downloading this kmod-nvidia on another machine and manually install it myself?

Last edited by manuleka; 05-28-2009 at 08:31 PM.
 
Old 05-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
manuleka
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 114

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
found kmod-nvidia

http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfr...fc10.i686.html

installed it and it's running fine now only problem is, my usb wireless adaptor is having some issues... fedora recognizes it but when i try to connect it wouldn't connect... now i'm back to xp to look for some drivers.. damit
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nvidia Kernel FORCEDETH Network Driver Reboot Issue Increments ETHx jdmcdaniel3 SUSE / openSUSE 0 04-28-2007 11:04 AM
kernel issue causing nVidia problem? mmaleck Linux - Newbie 1 03-16-2007 01:36 PM
nvidia 6106, kernel 2.6.7, slackware 10, failure to load nvidia.ko Tarball_Phreak Linux - Hardware 3 08-04-2004 04:16 PM
kernel 2.6.3--bk8 and NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336 video driver from Nvidia zdenkod Linux - Hardware 2 03-09-2004 06:38 AM
(EE) NVIDIA (0) Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module Isjhe Mandriva 14 09-25-2003 10:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration