READ THIS IF YOU HAVE MANDRAKE 9.0 or 9.1
I've been having problems installing and running nvidia drivers on these distro's but NO MORE!!!!!
This is excatly what i did (hope it works for ALL you guys)
I installed mandrake 9.0 on a partition with my win xp machine
(amd 1ghz/40gb/256ram/geforce 2 mx 32mb)
and last week posted a can you help me
on this very subject and got a great response but try as i may nothing would work 100% so i thanked everybody and left it at that but now maybe i can return the favour
after altering the xf86config-4 incorrectly(a 2nd time!!) x would no longer start so i just formatted the partition and reloaded mdk 9.0 from scratch!
BACK TO SQ 1!!
1.I then went along to www.nvidia.com/drivers
and clicked on linux drivers
2. right click on NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.04349.run and "save target as" this started the download approx 6.13mb(not to sure of the actual size but this is a guess!!)
3.saved the file in a directory of choice (lets say "drivers")
4.logged off and signed back in as "root"- (default)
5. you should now be in a horrible RED screen with only the TRASH and the HOME icons visible on the desktop
6. start "MANDRAKE CONTROL CENTRE"
7. click on "INSTALL SOFTWARE"
8. click on "ALL PACKAGES"
9. scroll down to "BINUTILS"
10. click in the checkbox
11. it willl tell you it needs to install another package as well but just say o.k.
12. it will ask you for cd1
13 insert cd1 and click o.k.
14. it will install these packages
15. QUIT "MANDRAKE CONTROL CENTRE"
16.now go to etc/x11/xf86Config-4 file and right click on it
17. choose "open with" and choose kedit
18. when the file opens scroll doen to "devices" and alter the following:
Nvidia chipset (put the name of your card here) i.e geforce 2 mx 200 or geforce 4 ti 4200
Driver : change this from "nv or "gvlflex" or whatever it says to "nvidia"
19. in the "module" section
where it says load "glx * 3d driver" ( actually the * is a hash symbol but i can't find it on this keyboard!!)anyway remove all in the "" EXCEPT glx so it should read "glx"
20 go to file/save and save it
21. shut down k-edit
22. now go to where you downloaded the file NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.04349.run and open a terminal
type as follows: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.04349.run
23. whats going on here!! a install screen will appear
24. use the arrows on the keyboard and choose "accept"
25. files WILL install!!
26 just click on o.k. and close terminal
27. click on "log off" and Reboot
28. hold ALL your fingers and toes crossed AND ENJOY 3D FOREVER!!
I hope this works for everybody however i don't know about other distros but ive done this on 2 seperate machines already and IT WORKS!!