LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   not able to install vlc through terminal in ubuntu12.04 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/not-able-to-install-vlc-through-terminal-in-ubuntu12-04-a-4175435452/)

ajay06081993 11-03-2012 09:02 AM

not able to install vlc through terminal in ubuntu12.04
 
hey

i want to install vlc from terminal.i typed sudo apt-get update it shows
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

don't know what to do can anybody help me out

with regards
ajay

yancek 11-03-2012 05:04 PM

That will happen if you have the Software Manager open when you run the command. If you don't, I'm not sure what the problem is.

arun5002 11-03-2012 05:07 PM

Check whether any other process holding the lock First.If not rename the lock and try to update

Rename lock to lock.bak

sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock.bak

sudo apt-get update

ajay06081993 11-04-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun5002 (Post 4821615)
Check whether any other process holding the lock First.If not rename the lock and try to update

Rename lock to lock.bak

sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock.bak
sudo apt-get update


i typed the followind commands sudo fuser -cuk /var/lib/dpkg/lock
sudo rm -f /var/lib/dpkg/lock

from first command the computer screen goes blank and i have to press the start up button to restart the computer
then after rebooting i typed the second command in the terminal and after that i typed sudo apt-get update it works fine
but the speed is very-very-very slow and it is stuck at 25%working ,in between it shows
Err https://extras.ubuntu.com precise/main Sources
Couldn't resolve host 'extras.ubuntu.com'
Err https://extras.ubuntu.com precise/main i386 Packages
Couldn't resolve host 'extras.ubuntu.com'
how to get rid of this? i changed http to https does it make any differences??

should i download apt-fast before sudo apt-get update??

TroN-0074 11-04-2012 08:21 PM

try typing
Code:

sudo apt-get -f install
let it do its think once is done try to upgrade again with the command
Code:

sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
Let us know how it works for you.

ajay06081993 11-05-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroN-0074 (Post 4822247)
try typing
Code:

sudo apt-get -f install
let it do its think once is done try to upgrade again with the command
Code:

sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
Let us know how it works for you.

it goes to 32%working then it come down to 24%working and shows
Err https://extras.ubuntu.com precise/main Sources
couldn't connect to host
Err https://extras.ubuntu.com precise/main i386 Packages
couldn't connect to host
Ign https://archive.ubuntu.com precise-backports Release

did my linux distro is corrupted or not??

internet is very slow in linux what can i do??

TroN-0074 11-05-2012 10:24 AM

I am not an expert but I think your connection will have something to do with this problem. Are you able to test your system in a different location with a hot spot? perhaps in a coffee shop or in a library?

I don't think your installation is corrupted and perhaps with a different connection it might work. but really I don't know much .

Good luck to you.

hunternet93 11-05-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroN-0074 (Post 4822665)
I am not an expert but I think your connection will have something to do with this problem. Are you able to test your system in a different location with a hot spot? perhaps in a coffee shop or in a library?

I don't think your installation is corrupted and perhaps with a different connection it might work. but really I don't know much .

Good luck to you.

The error means that apt-get is having trouble downloading the file it needs. Wait a little while and try again, or try a different internet connection.

Code:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

The above message means that another program is currently accessing apt's files. You can wait a few minutes and try again when this appears or look for programs like Update Manager and close them.

ajay06081993 11-29-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunternet93 (Post 4822697)
The error means that apt-get is having trouble downloading the file it needs. Wait a little while and try again, or try a different internet connection.

Code:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

The above message means that another program is currently accessing apt's files. You can wait a few minutes and try again when this appears or look for programs like Update Manager and close them.

i reinstalled the linux and then do the proxy settings in linux terminal and from then onwards linux is working fine.
thanks for reply
with regards ajay


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.