LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #31
superdave7380
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 23

Rep: Reputation: 15

Alrighty then...

Found the driver folder, and the rf_kill file... and while I can't open the file, I can see by the li'l icon preview that it's a "2", which according to your post means "HW based RF kill active (radio off)"

Also...

---
david@david-laptop:~$ dmesg | grep ipw2200
[ 14.688000] ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.2.0kmprq
[ 14.688000] ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
[ 14.688000] ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
[ 14.972000] ipw2200: Radio Frequency Kill Switch is On:
[ 14.976000] ipw2200: Detected geography ZZM (11 802.11bg channels, 0 802.11a channels)
---

Now we're gettin' somewhere... Umm... we are getting somewhere, right?
 
Old 02-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #32
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,803
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416
Quote:
and the rf_kill file... and while I can't open the file, I can see by the li'l icon preview that it's a "2"
Can you open it as root? From what I can tell, that is what you need to change. On my laptop I've got an Intel3945, and my rf_kill is set to 0. I'm gonna guess that Intel doesn't do a lot of messing with configurations between cards, so setting that to 0 may really help. This thread is also backs up that idea.

Quote:
Now we're gettin' somewhere... Umm... we are getting somewhere, right?
At very least, we ain't where we used to be.......
 
Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #33
superdave7380
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 23

Rep: Reputation: 15
It doesn't let me open it! I get a "could not open the file /sys/blahblahblah..." message...

I tried opening it in gedit, ala "sudo gedit rf_kill"...

Should I be using a different program? I assume it's just a text file like everything else...

(I can't wait to get to my other problems, hehe... I'm kidding! This is the only one.)
 
Old 02-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #34
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,803
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416
Quote:
Should I be using a different program? I assume it's just a text file like everything else...

Yeah, it is a text file. At least on my rig I can open it as root using nano, so gedit should be just fine. Could you post the permissions for that file (ls -l)? Also the full error might help as it usually gives a reason for why it can't open the file.

Quote:
(I can't wait to get to my other problems, hehe... I'm kidding! This is the only one.)
I don't blame you for being frustrated on this. I have no idea why this is installed with the radio off, but judging by the number of threads I found in the Ubuntu forum, you're not alone.
 
Old 02-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #35
superdave7380
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 23

Rep: Reputation: 15
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 2008-02-19 08:48 rf_kill

wow. this is weird.

I managed to open it in nano... ya know, now that I know what nano is...

It was a an empty file with just a 2. So I thought, okay, you said it should be 0. So I changed it to 0. But then I opened it again to take another look, and it changed back to 2. And if I changed it back to 0, it changed back to 2.

Hmmm...

I can also now open it in gedit for some reason... and in gedit... there's nothing there at all... even though the 2 is clearly there in nano (and in the gnome icon preview...), so let's just disregard this paragraph...

In other news, radio still off, no MAC address... oh, and I almost forgot! No wireless. Hehe.
 
Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #36
superdave7380
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 23

Rep: Reputation: 15
You realize, if you do figure this out, they will write songs about you... (whoever 'they' are...)
 
Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #37
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,803
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416
Quote:
It was a an empty file with just a 2. So I thought, okay, you said it should be 0. So I changed it to 0. But then I opened it again to take another look, and it changed back to 2. And if I changed it back to 0, it changed back to 2.
Were you root when you opened it? Since only root has write permissions, if you weren't root, that would explain it. If you were root, I think I have a migraine coming on.......
 
Old 02-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #38
superdave7380
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 23

Rep: Reputation: 15
I was most definitely root...

Oh by the way, I originally thought you had said to change it to '1' (before I re-read)... so I did that first (ya, I'm making things worse)... and when I looked at it again, it changed to '3'... figure that out, hehe... But now, it's 2... again.
 
Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #39
superdave7380
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 23

Rep: Reputation: 15
Maybe you should email a good copy of the file or somethin'... with the right permissions and everything...

I'll trade you for a Tylenol...
 
Old 02-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #40
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,803
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416
Not to take a serious turn here, but what kernel are you running? If you don't know, run uname -a in a console. The reason I'm asking is that I've seen more than a couple of articles that refer to a Ubuntu bug around the kill switch. Everything I've read suggests that you should be able to edit that rf_kill file, and the fact that you can't may be a genuine bug.
 
Old 02-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #41
TommyGun
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Location: Norway
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42 View Post

Connecting on an unsecured network shows that your card and driver are working, so this is good. If you give us some details about what kind of security you've got on your home network and how you are trying to configure your card, we can give you some better pointers.

I only have a simple WEP key, its 10 characters long, I don't know what else to say about it? And, I'd just like to configure the card to work on my network, haha. The problem is that I don't have any clue about what to do, I got the light on my computer to light up, and it does find my network, but when I try entering my key, it says "Connection to network 'network name'" or something, then after a while it tells me to enter the WEP key again, so nothing happens really.
 
Old 02-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #42
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,803
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
I only have a simple WEP key, its 10 characters long, I don't know what else to say about it? And, I'd just like to configure the card to work on my network, haha. The problem is that I don't have any clue about what to do, I got the light on my computer to light up, and it does find my network, but when I try entering my key, it says "Connection to network 'network name'" or something, then after a while it tells me to enter the WEP key again, so nothing happens really.
As usual, the GUI is causing as many problems as it solves....

Lets try configuring the card from the console. You'll need to be root to do it.

Make sure your driver is loaded, then set your ssid (note I'm assuming yoru wireless card is wlan0, if it is something else, you'll need to change what you enter):

iwconfig wlan0 essid YourSSID

Then set your WEP key. If you know the hex version of it use this:

iwconfig wlan0 key HexVersionOfKey

If you know the text version the command is slightly different:

iwconfig wlan0 key s:TextVersionOfKey

Notice that s: ? That tells iwconfig that it needs to convert that key to hex before using it.

If you look at your iwconfig output at this point, you should see that the Access Point field has a mac address. That means you're associated and can request an IP address:

ifup wlan0

If you get an IP address back, you should then be good to go.
 
Old 02-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #43
TommyGun
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Location: Norway
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42 View Post
As usual, the GUI is causing as many problems as it solves....

Lets try configuring the card from the console. You'll need to be root to do it.

Make sure your driver is loaded, then set your ssid (note I'm assuming yoru wireless card is wlan0, if it is something else, you'll need to change what you enter):

iwconfig wlan0 essid YourSSID

Then set your WEP key. If you know the hex version of it use this:

iwconfig wlan0 key HexVersionOfKey

If you know the text version the command is slightly different:

iwconfig wlan0 key s:TextVersionOfKey

Notice that s: ? That tells iwconfig that it needs to convert that key to hex before using it.

If you look at your iwconfig output at this point, you should see that the Access Point field has a mac address. That means you're associated and can request an IP address:

ifup wlan0

If you get an IP address back, you should then be good to go.

Thanks alot for this easy-to-use guide, I really appreciate this and I will try this first thing in the morning!
 
Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #44
superdave7380
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 23

Rep: Reputation: 15
david@david-laptop:~$ uname -a
Linux david-laptop 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 07:42:25 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Did I win?
 
Old 02-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #45
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,803
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416
Quote:
Did I win?

DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!

Yes, Congratulations! You've hit the Ubuntu "Will my Wireless card work properly" Lottery!


That kernel shows up fairly prominently in the bug report I linked to a couple posts back, so that seems to be the reason for all of this nonsense.

As to what you do about it, I'm less sure. There might be a newer kernel on the Ubuntu repositories that fixes this bug. I sort of looks that way from the bug report, but their format is a little screwy so it is hard to tell.

The other alternative would be to find a different distro. To be honest, I think upgrading the kernel is probably the easier approach.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Patching kernel on Ubuntu for Acer Travelmate C100 ACPI paradoxdruid Linux - Software 1 04-19-2007 11:13 AM
Mandriva 10.0 on Acer Travelmate 2413WLMin(travelmate 2410 series). Wireless... apolishch Linux - Laptop and Netbook 2 06-05-2006 09:03 AM
Ubuntu 5.04 and Acer Travelmate 8103 aciesd Linux - Laptop and Netbook 2 01-07-2006 09:24 AM
Ubuntu Linux + Acer Travelmate 230XC tsissus Linux - Laptop and Netbook 2 09-02-2005 08:31 PM
Ubuntu on an acer 290 travelmate SD-Plissken Ubuntu 2 08-31-2005 05:01 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration