LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
boadiccearose
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question No network access after installing Suse 11.2


I'm new to SUSE. I had some virus issues with Windows Vista and decided to change my OS.

I have the modem set up and still can't get the internet to come up. I get the mozilla blank webpage, but I am connected to the internet server.
What can I do to get full internet access if everything seems to be working they way it should except for the blank webpage? I know I must be missing something but what?

Also, how do I open Yast to use it? I think I opened it by accident and got some things done, but now I can't figure out how I did it.

Please help.

Thanks

Last edited by boadiccearose; 09-08-2010 at 08:44 AM.
 
Old 09-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
boadiccearose
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I tried to do a configure of the network and got KTTSD failed. Not sure what this means. What is KTTSD and how do I fix this problem?
 
Old 09-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
suid0
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Location: Brazil
Distribution: Slackware, openSuSe, Ubuntu, Fedora
Posts: 56

Rep: Reputation: 16
Let's try something using the terminal.

Connect normally and do the following.

Steps

ping any server. If it works, the problem may be your browser

execute: cat /etc/resolv.conf
The command above should contain an entry like: namesever xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. If it does not contain anything like it, you must set up that manually.

execute: /sbin/ifconfig
If you don't see a ppp0 entry in the middle of the information that comes up and if it contains a ppp0 entry but not an ip address than this could a misconfiguration problem on your modem setup.


If you need more help on that. you may paste those commands in your next message.
 
Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
John VV
Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Posts: 12,919

Rep: Reputation: 1715Reputation: 1715Reputation: 1715Reputation: 1715Reputation: 1715Reputation: 1715Reputation: 1715Reputation: 1715Reputation: 1715Reputation: 1715Reputation: 1715
that is a bit odd suse is very good at auto setting up most network settings


some hardware info would help

forget about yast for now -- if you can not connect to the net yast is unusable

-- the 20 questions part --
is this a desktop or laptop?
hardware specs ?
how did vista connect to the net ( as in how are you NOW tiring to )
wireless ?
cable ?
adsl ?
dial up -56k ?

the brand and make/model of the network hardware
if wireless then what is the hardware ?
if cable -- i do not think so - that every linux will 100% auto setup just fine)

are you using a proxy ?
are you behind a network router ( as in a office) ?
and so on ...

you also might want to READ some -- if not all -- of the OpenSUSE documentation
http://opensuse-guide.org/
http://www.novell.com/documentation/opensuse113/
http://forums.opensuse.org/
-- i would register at the forum --
and READ the ** Information for New Users **
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/i...ion-new-users/

Last edited by John VV; 09-08-2010 at 07:27 PM.
 
Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
boadiccearose
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
that is a bit odd suse is very good at auto setting up most network settings


some hardware info would help

forget about yast for now -- if you can not connect to the net yast is unusable

-- the 20 questions part --
is this a desktop or laptop?
hardware specs ?
how did vista connect to the net ( as in how are you NOW tiring to )
wireless ?
cable ?
adsl ?
dial up -56k ?

the brand and make/model of the network hardware
if wireless then what is the hardware ?
if cable -- i do not think so - that every linux will 100% auto setup just fine)

are you using a proxy ?
are you behind a network router ( as in a office) ?
and so on ...

you also might want to READ some -- if not all -- of the OpenSUSE documentation
http://opensuse-guide.org/
http://www.novell.com/documentation/opensuse113/
http://forums.opensuse.org/
-- i would register at the forum --
and READ the ** Information for New Users **
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/i...ion-new-users/
I have a Toshiba M400 tablet laptop with a new Western Digital 250GB sata hard drive. Dual core 1GB CPU with 1.5 GB SDRAM. I connect through a wireless connection that is built in. I have zoomtown using a westell router for home/business. I think it used a proxy with Vista.

Thanks,
J
 
Old 09-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
boadiccearose
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by suid0 View Post
Let's try something using the terminal.

Connect normally and do the following.

Steps

ping any server. If it works, the problem may be your browser

execute: cat /etc/resolv.conf
The command above should contain an entry like: namesever xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. If it does not contain anything like it, you must set up that manually.

execute: /sbin/ifconfig
If you don't see a ppp0 entry in the middle of the information that comes up and if it contains a ppp0 entry but not an ip address than this could a misconfiguration problem on your modem setup.


If you need more help on that. you may paste those commands in your next message.
I can get connected... I just can't get the browser to bring up a webpage. It comes up blank. The network manager is connected to the westell router and shows that it is connected. The browser came with the SuSE cd installation and installed automatically.

Thanks,
 
Old 09-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
suid0
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Location: Brazil
Distribution: Slackware, openSuSe, Ubuntu, Fedora
Posts: 56

Rep: Reputation: 16
But if you're unable to open any website, that maybe a DNS configuration problem.
Sometimes, it may happen that even after you're connected, your DNS configuration was not updated on resolv.conf
 
Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
salasi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Directly above centre of the earth, UK
Distribution: SuSE, plus some hopping
Posts: 3,902

Rep: Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by boadiccearose View Post
I tried to do a configure of the network and got KTTSD failed. Not sure what this means. What is KTTSD and how do I fix this problem?
IIRC KTTSD is KDE Text To Speech Daemon - you don't really need it for anything that you are trying to do, but some of the KDE apps (akregator, I remember at one time, for example) expect it to be set up, just in case you try to convert some text to speech. So usually an error message pops up and gives you the chance to configure it. If you accept that chance and do anything, whether it works or not, the problem goes away, unless you actually do need to convert text to speech, of course.

@suid0
Quote:
ping any server. If it works, the problem may be your browser
If you ping a server by ip address, eg,
"ping 173.194.36.104"
and that works, you have the basics of networking set up, but if
"ping www.google.com"
then fails, name resolution (DNS - converting the 'human readable' site names into the numeric value) is not working, so you would need to concentrate your effort there. You could also use, eg, dig to check out name resolution.

There is still no output from "cat /etc/resolv.conf" so we cannot comment on how you have that set up. You can probably either set that up to a publicly accessible DNS server (eg, Google's at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, described here or OpenDNS at 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220).

Or, if your modem/router is set up to use either one of the above, or your ISP's DNS servers, you could just use your router as your upstream source.

One puzzle about all of this is that normally your m/r would be using DHCP to hand out IPs and mDNS to set up the rest, so this would normally all happen 'automagically'. Have you done anything that stops mDNS or DHCP from doing the auto configuration thing?

@John VV
Quote:
forget about yast for now -- if you can not connect to the net yast is unusable
Not really true; if the net is unusable (and it may only be DNS that is unusable), then you cannot use Yast to install new software. However, installing new software is only one of 20+ functions of yast. In particular, you can still use yast to configure networking.

If this does not help, you will need to say whether you are using Networkmanager, Wicd, or idup/ifdown type networking configuration. Maybe that will show up when you post the resolv.conf contents.
 
  


Reply

Tags
configure, network, suse


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cannot configure network access in suse 10 adit_sen Linux - Networking 1 03-06-2006 10:43 AM
How does Suse access Billie's network? SuseSaidByeByeBilly Linux - Networking 1 01-18-2006 01:27 PM
Limited Network access on Suse 9.3 bwdave Linux - Networking 1 09-14-2005 12:36 PM
SuSe 9.2 cant access windont network The_Landlord Linux - Newbie 11 04-19-2005 06:02 PM
No access to the local network (Suse 9.2) zenith_zth Linux - Networking 28 03-07-2005 12:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration