LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
elusive_night
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 15
NM & WICD cannot connect to WEP/WPA 2 wireless


Hello,

Newish to linux, been using Ubuntu for about a year, moved onto Sabayon 4.2 now. I also have another laptop with Kubuntu that is using Network Manager, it has no problem connecting to my wireless, one wireless uses WEP and one uses WPA 2. When my main laptop used Ubuntu it was using Network Manager, that connected with no problem.

However Sabayon seems to have a problem. Initially I thought it was the DVD that I used to install it in, but after re-burning it and installing from fresh the problem still remains.
What happens is that NM when connecting to a wireless prompts for a passkey, I enter it in and it fails right away. This happens for WEP and WPA. If the network is unsecure then it connects with no problem.
So I emerged WICD 1.6 to see if that would work, it hangs on 'Obtaining IP Address'. If I put static IP then it connects, but this cant be an option as at my University campus I cant set a static IP.

I have tried to find the log file for NM, but (as stupid as this sounds) cannot locate it. I understand that it should be located in /var/log/daemon.log, but daemon.log does not exist on my system. I checked every NM directory and could not find any log files.

I have tried changing the settings in WICD to no effect.

Many thanks to any and all help!

James
 
Old 09-28-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
elusive_night
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 25

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Bump.

This problem has been on-going now throughout the linux community for over 2/3 months, there are many threads on this issue (that went unanswered and are now dead) yet no-one has found a solution!

I will work on this constantly until I have found a solution, but as I know hardly anything about Linux, that will take a very, very long time.

Any help is appreciated!

James
 
Old 09-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 11,148
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusive_night View Post
Hello,

Newish to linux, been using Ubuntu for about a year, moved onto Sabayon 4.2 now. I also have another laptop with Kubuntu that is using Network Manager, it has no problem connecting to my wireless, one wireless uses WEP and one uses WPA 2. When my main laptop used Ubuntu it was using Network Manager, that connected with no problem.
My first question is way move to another distro when the one you had was working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusive_night View Post
However Sabayon seems to have a problem. Initially I thought it was the DVD that I used to install it in, but after re-burning it and installing from fresh the problem still remains.
It's not the distribution but your lack of fully understanding how to setup or tweak your install. You should make sure your 'md5sum' is correct for the downloaded 'ISO'. To re-burn the image that may not be valid will just get you the same image. If the 'hash' checks out then possibly slowing down the burn rate may aid you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusive_night View Post
What happens is that NM when connecting to a wireless prompts for a passkey, I enter it in and it fails right away. This happens for WEP and WPA. If the network is unsecure then it connects with no problem.
You sure about your 'passkey'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusive_night View Post
So I emerged WICD 1.6 to see if that would work, it hangs on 'Obtaining IP Address'. If I put static IP then it connects, but this cant be an option as at my University campus I cant set a static IP.
Your just shooting in the dark by swapping apps. It does look like you still have a problem with the key or the network configuration for the key use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elusive_night View Post
I have tried to find the log file for NM, but (as stupid as this sounds) cannot locate it. I understand that it should be located in /var/log/daemon.log, but daemon.log does not exist on my system. I checked every NM directory and could not find any log files.

I have tried changing the settings in WICD to no effect.

Many thanks to any and all help!

James
Look in '/var/log/', in there you may find '/var/log/wicd/wicd.log'.
 
Old 09-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
elusive_night
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 25

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks for your reponse and interest in this thread onebuck, I moved from Ubuntu as I quite literatly fancied a change of scenery, I had used Gentoo for a mail and file server in my previous job which is why I chose Sabayon.
Although to be honest I dont think I fully understood the wide differences between each flavour of Linux.
I've read up about people experiances the same issues, and some are solved by putting quotation marks around the passkey, or putting the passkey in uppercase, I tried both and failed.
What confuses me is that both NM & WICD display seperate issues, NM will not accept the passkey, WICD will not obtain an IP address.
The WICD log file shows the line No DHCPOFFERS received..
I'm starting to get concerned I'm doubling the issues I have by trying to fix WICD & NM. The strange thing is that NM doesnt connect to either the WPA secured or WEP secured network!

My knowledge on Linux & its network capabilies is so limited that I'm going to have to do more research on this.

Tomorrow however I've got to go into Uni and attempt to connect to their wireless network which is restricted by username and password, so that may be interesting.

Any suggestions? I just dont know where to start!

Thanks,

EN
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wicd cannot obtain an IP automatically in a wireless network with WPA enabled. kemsiro Slackware 30 10-14-2009 10:17 PM
Why can I see wireless networks but never connect, WPA/WEP or open? Dan.b Linux - Newbie 3 09-03-2009 10:43 PM
problem using wicd to connect to a hidden wep network JazzItSelf Slackware 4 08-22-2009 03:46 PM
Wicd on Fedora 10 will not connect to WPA/WPA2 network after install Mikazo Linux - Wireless Networking 2 04-11-2009 12:38 PM
[ipw2200 & WPA] Need help to connect to WPA enabled router. Hyakutake Slackware 2 03-02-2007 09:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration