LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   NM & WICD cannot connect to WEP/WPA 2 wireless (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/nm-and-wicd-cannot-connect-to-wep-wpa-2-wireless-758134/)

elusive_night 09-27-2009 07:11 PM

NM & WICD cannot connect to WEP/WPA 2 wireless
 
Hello,

Newish to linux, been using Ubuntu for about a year, moved onto Sabayon 4.2 now. I also have another laptop with Kubuntu that is using Network Manager, it has no problem connecting to my wireless, one wireless uses WEP and one uses WPA 2. When my main laptop used Ubuntu it was using Network Manager, that connected with no problem.

However Sabayon seems to have a problem. Initially I thought it was the DVD that I used to install it in, but after re-burning it and installing from fresh the problem still remains.
What happens is that NM when connecting to a wireless prompts for a passkey, I enter it in and it fails right away. This happens for WEP and WPA. If the network is unsecure then it connects with no problem.
So I emerged WICD 1.6 to see if that would work, it hangs on 'Obtaining IP Address'. If I put static IP then it connects, but this cant be an option as at my University campus I cant set a static IP.

I have tried to find the log file for NM, but (as stupid as this sounds) cannot locate it. I understand that it should be located in /var/log/daemon.log, but daemon.log does not exist on my system. I checked every NM directory and could not find any log files.

I have tried changing the settings in WICD to no effect.

Many thanks to any and all help!

James

elusive_night 09-28-2009 05:49 AM

Bump.

This problem has been on-going now throughout the linux community for over 2/3 months, there are many threads on this issue (that went unanswered and are now dead) yet no-one has found a solution!

I will work on this constantly until I have found a solution, but as I know hardly anything about Linux, that will take a very, very long time.

Any help is appreciated!

James

onebuck 09-28-2009 09:45 AM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by elusive_night (Post 3698925)
Hello,

Newish to linux, been using Ubuntu for about a year, moved onto Sabayon 4.2 now. I also have another laptop with Kubuntu that is using Network Manager, it has no problem connecting to my wireless, one wireless uses WEP and one uses WPA 2. When my main laptop used Ubuntu it was using Network Manager, that connected with no problem.

My first question is way move to another distro when the one you had was working?

Quote:

Originally Posted by elusive_night (Post 3698925)
However Sabayon seems to have a problem. Initially I thought it was the DVD that I used to install it in, but after re-burning it and installing from fresh the problem still remains.

It's not the distribution but your lack of fully understanding how to setup or tweak your install. You should make sure your 'md5sum' is correct for the downloaded 'ISO'. To re-burn the image that may not be valid will just get you the same image. If the 'hash' checks out then possibly slowing down the burn rate may aid you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elusive_night (Post 3698925)
What happens is that NM when connecting to a wireless prompts for a passkey, I enter it in and it fails right away. This happens for WEP and WPA. If the network is unsecure then it connects with no problem.

You sure about your 'passkey'?

Quote:

Originally Posted by elusive_night (Post 3698925)
So I emerged WICD 1.6 to see if that would work, it hangs on 'Obtaining IP Address'. If I put static IP then it connects, but this cant be an option as at my University campus I cant set a static IP.

Your just shooting in the dark by swapping apps. It does look like you still have a problem with the key or the network configuration for the key use.
Quote:

Originally Posted by elusive_night (Post 3698925)
I have tried to find the log file for NM, but (as stupid as this sounds) cannot locate it. I understand that it should be located in /var/log/daemon.log, but daemon.log does not exist on my system. I checked every NM directory and could not find any log files.

I have tried changing the settings in WICD to no effect.

Many thanks to any and all help!

James

Look in '/var/log/', in there you may find '/var/log/wicd/wicd.log'.

elusive_night 09-28-2009 06:04 PM

Thanks for your reponse and interest in this thread onebuck, I moved from Ubuntu as I quite literatly fancied a change of scenery, I had used Gentoo for a mail and file server in my previous job which is why I chose Sabayon.
Although to be honest I dont think I fully understood the wide differences between each flavour of Linux.
I've read up about people experiances the same issues, and some are solved by putting quotation marks around the passkey, or putting the passkey in uppercase, I tried both and failed.
What confuses me is that both NM & WICD display seperate issues, NM will not accept the passkey, WICD will not obtain an IP address.
The WICD log file shows the line No DHCPOFFERS received..
I'm starting to get concerned I'm doubling the issues I have by trying to fix WICD & NM. The strange thing is that NM doesnt connect to either the WPA secured or WEP secured network!

My knowledge on Linux & its network capabilies is so limited that I'm going to have to do more research on this.

Tomorrow however I've got to go into Uni and attempt to connect to their wireless network which is restricted by username and password, so that may be interesting.

Any suggestions? I just dont know where to start!

Thanks,

EN


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.