Well first I would like to say Hello to everyone. I'm sure you'll all be a great help.
I've had an HP Pavillon for over a year now, and have only got Ubuntu to work once using LiveCD. Anyways...
I decided to try Slackware, hoping I would learn so much from it. I have partitioned my HDD into 3 things:
- C:\For Windows and pre-partitoned things
- D:\For Hp_RECOVERY(Thank goddness for this.. saved me many times )
- E:\For "shared Data" like music and torrents. I was hoping I could use this on Both OSes, so it's formatted as FAT32.
- And lastly, about 30G (i know, its a tad big.. that I plan on using for Linux OSes. It's formatted as Ext2.
I actually installed Slackware onto the Linux Partition, but when LILO tried to run "Linux" at Startup, it gets pretty far into the procedure (when it finds peripherals i guess) until it hits a kernel panic error.
Additionally, during the boot of Linux, it gives all these choices for I suppose video settings. My native Resolution on the LCD is 1280x1024 and Refresh of 60Hz. I also have a NVIDIA 6200 series card installed.
I have some possible solutions to this problem:
- Re-burn the Slackware DVD at a slower speed.
- Re-install completely Slackware (already have done this twice, but maybe someone here will tell me better settings for it (like kernels)
- Ask for help with a Slackware boot CD, because I tried to find info on it in the web book, but only found how to make a diskette.
- Changing BIOS to start with onboard Graphics instead of starting on NVIDIA
I plan to find specs of my computer and find the point where kernel panic happens and post it.
[EDIT] I just found these specs for my computer. Hope this is all everyone needs!
Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11
Memory (RAM): 1016 MB
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
CPU Speed: 2992.3 MHz
Sound card: Realtek HD Audio rear output
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
Network Adapters: Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: F: HP DVD Writer 740b | G: IDE-DVD DROM6216
COM Ports: COM3
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 61.9GB | D: 8.0GB | E: 87.0GB I also have a Ext2 partiion, but Windows doesn't like it.
Hard Disks - Free: C: 25.7GB | D: 935.2MB | E: 68.5GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make: EG136AA-ABA a1240n
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: ATAT COMPATIBLE 090605 A M I 9000506
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Goldfish3
Modem: Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem