LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
richmondr
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Newbie requests aid to expand Gnu/Linux experience with installation.


I really dont know anything about linux. im trying to download something and when i try to open it an error comes up (There is no application installed for Windows Installer package files) I tried downloading the windows installer like i would normally but didnt help. so assume because this is linux its different. does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by onebuck; 01-25-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Correct title to allow exposure for better help/assistance
 
Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
lugoteehalt
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,215
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 49
Could you give more details, just detail the steps you took?
 
Old 01-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
coralfang
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD
Posts: 384
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondr View Post
I really dont know anything about linux. im trying to download something and when i try to open it an error comes up (There is no application installed for Windows Installer package files) I tried downloading the windows installer like i would normally but didnt help. so assume because this is linux its different. does anyone have any ideas?
Are you trying to run/install a windows executable in Linux?
 
Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,541
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943
Please use a descriptive title for your thread excluding words like 'urgent' or 'help'. Using a proper title makes it easier for members to help you. This thread has been reported for title modification. Please do not add replies that address the thread title.
 
Old 01-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mint, OpenBSD
Posts: 11,340
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 2730Reputation: 2730Reputation: 2730Reputation: 2730Reputation: 2730Reputation: 2730Reputation: 2730Reputation: 2730Reputation: 2730Reputation: 2730Reputation: 2730
More directly, Linux does not know what to do with Windows executables or *.msi files.

Two different worlds.

In most cases, Linux equivalents for Windows programs can be found, except when the Windows program is highly specialized or targeted towards a niche audience, such as CAD programs, medical records programs, and the like, or Windows games, whose manufacturers seldom see Linux users as a large enough market to be worth their while. They won't work exactly the same way, but they will produce comparable results, such as Open Office for MS Office and so on.

Many Windows programs, including a number of games, will run under Wine, but it's generally preferable to find native Linux programs. You can learn more about Wine here: http://www.winehq.org/

There's a good basic intro to Linux at About dot com.
 
Old 01-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 12,541
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943Reputation: 1943
Hi,

Welcome to LQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondr View Post
I really dont know anything about linux. im trying to download something and when i try to open it an error comes up (There is no application installed for Windows Installer package files) I tried downloading the windows installer like i would normally but didnt help. so assume because this is linux its different. does anyone have any ideas?
I suggest that you look at 'How to Ask Questions the Smart Way' so in the future your queries provide information that will aid us in diagnosis of the problem/query.

 You really did not give the forum much to work with.

Which distribution are you trying to use?
Utimate Linux Newbie Guide may help you to get some understanding.

Just a few links to aid you to gaining more understanding;



1 Linux Documentation Project
2 Rute Tutorial & Exposition
3 Linux Command Guide
4 Bash Beginners Guide
5 Bash Reference Manual
6 Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide
7 Linux Newbie Admin Guide
8 LinuxSelfHelp
9
Linux Home Networking
10
Virtualiation- Top 10

The above links and others can be found at 'Slackware-Links'. More than just SlackwareŽ links!
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
richmondr
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Question application like windows package installer

Ok well originally this was a windows xp computer. My fiancees father changed it to linux because that is what he prefers. I was trying to download a game and when it was finally finished i whent to open it and that error came up. so i tried to go and download what you would normally need on windows and i couldnt get it to work to save my life.

This is the error(There is no application installed for Windows Installer package files)

so i downloaded the typical windows package installer and when i downloaded it the cpu wouldnt allow me to install it. that is basically the whole story. sorry im not that computer smart about linux.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,130
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825Reputation: 4825
Linux is not Windows. Normally you can't run Windows apps in Linux. There may be a way to get your game running with wine, but there will be no guarantee that it works.
To help you with your problem, we need at least this information:
1. Which Linux distribution is installed on that computer?
2. Which game are you trying to run?
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
snowpine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,037

Rep: Reputation: 1099Reputation: 1099Reputation: 1099Reputation: 1099Reputation: 1099Reputation: 1099Reputation: 1099Reputation: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondr View Post
Ok well originally this was a windows xp computer. My fiancees father changed it to linux because that is what he prefers. I was trying to download a game and when it was finally finished i whent to open it and that error came up. so i tried to go and download what you would normally need on windows and i couldnt get it to work to save my life.

This is the error(There is no application installed for Windows Installer package files)

so i downloaded the typical windows package installer and when i downloaded it the cpu wouldnt allow me to install it. that is basically the whole story. sorry im not that computer smart about linux.
There is an application called Wine that allows you to run some Windows games in Linux. You can search for your game in the Wine database (AppDB) to see whether it will work: http://www.winehq.org/

In general I would recommend re-installing Windows if you are comfortable in Windows and use a lot of Windows applications. If you still want to learn about Linux, you can set up a "dual boot" so you have your choice of Windows or Linux each time you turn on the computer. (This is assuming it's you're computer--if it's your fiance's father's computer, then obviously you have to live with his choices.)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
richmondr
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I would reinstall windows xp but i just cant seem to figure out how. would you have any ideas? im using a netbook so there is no disk drive
 
Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
rich_c
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Distribution: Mepis; Maemo; openSUSE
Posts: 384
Blog Entries: 74

Rep: Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondr View Post
I would reinstall windows xp but i just cant seem to figure out how. would you have any ideas? im using a netbook so there is no disk drive
Apart from anything else, that probably wouldn't endear you to your prospective father-in-law. Why don't you go to him for advice as you say he prefers Linux. He may well be familiar with getting Windows apps/games running under WINE.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
snowpine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,037

Rep: Reputation: 1099Reputation: 1099Reputation: 1099Reputation: 1099Reputation: 1099Reputation: 1099Reputation: 1099Reputation: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondr View Post
I would reinstall windows xp but i just cant seem to figure out how. would you have any ideas? im using a netbook so there is no disk drive
You might get a better answer on a Windows support forum and/or from your netbook manufacturer. Depending on the model of your netbook and how Linux was installed, you may be able to restore the default Windows install from a hidden partition. If you call the manufacturer and tell them you messed up your Windows install, they may be able to help you restore the system.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
richmondr
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
alright thanks guys i will figure something out. appreciate the help
 
Old 01-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
rich_c
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Distribution: Mepis; Maemo; openSUSE
Posts: 384
Blog Entries: 74

Rep: Reputation: 81
By all means give us a bit more info to work with like what machine you're working with, Linux distro and app you're wanting to install. Someone might be able to point you in the right direction. Almost definitely in fact.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration