Originally Posted by grail
So a few missing details:
1. What distribution?
2. What steps did you take to set up the static ip?
3. What does 'momentarily' working mean? (ie what gave you the impression it was working (what tests did you do))
There is probably more but we need to start some where
1) If this is what version, I believe the latest update of ubuntu I have is 12.04
2) I followed some guide online that said to go into ifconfig and then enter in the values he had such as 255.255.255.0 (the only one I remember offhand because of the numbers) - (I am also on a different system to reply) I entered in everything the way it looked in his example
3) momentarily meant that when I first set it up I went to a page that what.cd points to called 'canyouseeme'. The page said that it could see my port connection. When I went to Transmission and checked the port it said it was open. Then later that day I noticed my wireless was shaky and the next day when I checked the port it said it was closed. NOw I can't maintain an internet connection.
I probably should have left it alone but I figured if I am pulling from a site I need to give back and this seemed to be the best way to give back.
(also, as is obvious, I am not a computer savvy person - I had linux put on an old laptop as a means to thwart malware)