LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2007, 07:08 AM   #46
henrysukumar
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 33

Rep: Reputation: 15

Don't worry my dude, there good linux tutorials site like http://yolinux.com, http://linuxgalore.com
 
Old 02-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #47
desiraju01
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Posts: 32

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljs662
Mate you never finished my commands -
You Need to run ALL of these and I am 90% sure it will work.

sudo ifconfig eth0 up <enter>

sudo ifconfig eth0 [IP address that you want to use] <enter>

echo "nameserver [ip of DNS or router]" > /etc/resolv.conf <enter>

THEN try to ping yahoo, like this.

ping -c 5 www.yahoo.com

If you get a response like this -->

PING www.yahoo-ht2.akadns.net (209.131.36.158) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158): icmp_seq=1 ttl=50 time=173 ms
64 bytes from f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158): icmp_seq=2 ttl=50 time=174 ms
64 bytes from f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158): icmp_seq=3 ttl=50 time=174 ms
64 bytes from f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158): icmp_seq=4 ttl=50 time=175 ms
64 bytes from f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158): icmp_seq=5 ttl=50 time=171 ms

--- www.yahoo-ht2.akadns.net ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4036ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 171.670/173.691/175.012/1.193 ms



Then you have internet!
I actually think you are on the internet atm just with no dns server set

Good Luck Mate don't give up on the forum yet i'm 90% sure if you run these commands you will be on the net.

Luke

no no i didnt give up on the forum yet..it just ive been doing this for quite long time..i was getting sleepy..hmm i'll def try that and the tutorials!..wish me luck!
 
Old 02-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #48
AwesomeMachine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: USA and Italy
Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora
Posts: 1,923

Rep: Reputation: 278Reputation: 278Reputation: 278
Linux is not a toy. If someone uses a computer to do productive work they want linux. Linux is no good for people with Attention Deficit Disorder because it just isn't entertaining enough. Linux is a bear to learn, and even with the simplest distros you really need to know what you are doing. For this reason I recommend you install linux along side MS Windows XP, but on a different partition.
 
Old 02-25-2007, 08:13 PM   #49
desiraju01
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Posts: 32

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljs662
Mate you never finished my commands -
You Need to run ALL of these and I am 90% sure it will work.

sudo ifconfig eth0 up <enter>

sudo ifconfig eth0 [IP address that you want to use] <enter>

echo "nameserver [ip of DNS or router]" > /etc/resolv.conf <enter>

THEN try to ping yahoo, like this.

ping -c 5 www.yahoo.com

If you get a response like this -->

PING www.yahoo-ht2.akadns.net (209.131.36.158) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158): icmp_seq=1 ttl=50 time=173 ms
64 bytes from f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158): icmp_seq=2 ttl=50 time=174 ms
64 bytes from f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158): icmp_seq=3 ttl=50 time=174 ms
64 bytes from f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158): icmp_seq=4 ttl=50 time=175 ms
64 bytes from f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com (209.131.36.158): icmp_seq=5 ttl=50 time=171 ms

--- www.yahoo-ht2.akadns.net ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4036ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 171.670/173.691/175.012/1.193 ms



Then you have internet!
I actually think you are on the internet atm just with no dns server set

Good Luck Mate don't give up on the forum yet i'm 90% sure if you run these commands you will be on the net.

Luke
ok check this out, tell me what i did wrong or tell me how can i fix this?



ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo ifconfig eth0 up
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo ifconfig eth0 127.X.X.X
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ echo "nameserver 192.168.X.X" >/etc/resolv.conf
bash: /etc/resolve.conf : Permission denied


i tried other way


ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo ifconfig eth0 up
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo ifconfig eth0 127.X.X.X
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ echo "nameserver 192.168.X.X" /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.x.x /etc/resolve.conf
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ping -c 5 www.yahoo.com
ping: unknown host www.yahoo.com


can you or anyone tell me what i did wrong or what? please let me know thanx!
 
Old 02-25-2007, 10:50 PM   #50
desiraju01
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Posts: 32

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
anyone help me out?
 
Old 02-25-2007, 11:20 PM   #51
Emerson
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Saint Amant, Acadiana
Distribution: Gentoo ~arch
Posts: 5,872

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Correct commands to set up your network are:

sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.x.x broadcast 192.168.x.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
sudo route add default gw 192.168.x.x

NB! Assigned network address must be on same subnet, 127.x.x.x is not in a valid range for a private net!

Then open your resolv.conf with your favorite editor and add the nameserver.

sudo nano -w /etc/resolv.conf
 
Old 02-26-2007, 01:26 AM   #52
ljs662_removed
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 51

Rep: Reputation: 15
Nearly there

I dont know about that

Last edited by ljs662_removed; 12-17-2007 at 05:43 AM.
 
Old 02-26-2007, 05:08 AM   #53
teebones
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: /home/teebones
Distribution: sometimes this, sometimes that..
Posts: 502

Rep: Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeMachine
Linux is no good for people with Attention Deficit Disorder because it just isn't entertaining enough.
I have ADD (and PDD-NOS), and i LOVE Linux very much. It's very entertaining aswell. So to conclude i disagree on your statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeMachine
Linux is a bear to learn, and even with the simplest distros you really need to know what you are doing.
I do like tinkering, researching stuff = Linux to the bone. (and some friends of mine, who have ADHD, ASPERGER do like this too. So, i'm sure that many people (like myself), with these types of disorders, do like Linux.

Last edited by teebones; 02-26-2007 at 05:21 AM.
 
Old 02-26-2007, 07:15 AM   #54
Emerson
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Saint Amant, Acadiana
Distribution: Gentoo ~arch
Posts: 5,872

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
sudo echo "nameserver 192.168.0.1" > /etc/resolv.conf <enter>

This will not work, sudo gives root rights only to echo command, directing with > will be with user rights - and denied.
 
Old 02-27-2007, 03:55 AM   #55
ljs662_removed
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 51

Rep: Reputation: 15
Edit ---->

Correct it won't, i'm so used to Debian that I didn't notice.

In the code I gave you above, instead of

sudo echo "nameserver 192.168.0.1" > /etc/resolv.conf <enter>

You will need to edit it with a text editor like this.

vi /etc/resolv.conf

To edit the document, once vi (the editor) is open, press 'i' to enter insert mode.
make the document say this -->

nameserver 192.168.0.1

then press

esc
:wq
<enter>

to save and close the document
Once again good luck.
 
Old 02-27-2007, 11:05 PM   #56
bskrakes
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: Canada, Alberta
Distribution: RHEL 4 and up, CentOS 5.x, Fedora Core 5 and up, Ubuntu 8 and up
Posts: 251

Rep: Reputation: 32
Sorry to leave you hanging like that desiraju01. I tried to privately message you but you don't have the e-mail option turned on. Anyway I read some stuff to catch up to where you are at and still want to help. I would rather try and help privately as this form is going to involve so many different ways of doing a setup, as well as different opinions. If you want to do this send me a message.

Cheers,
Brendan
 
Old 02-28-2007, 05:39 PM   #57
desiraju01
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Posts: 32

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljs662
Correct it won't, i'm so used to Debian that I didn't notice.

In the code I gave you above, instead of

sudo echo "nameserver 192.168.0.1" > /etc/resolv.conf <enter>

You will need to edit it with a text editor like this.

vi /etc/resolv.conf

To edit the document, once vi (the editor) is open, press 'i' to enter insert mode.
make the document say this -->

nameserver 192.168.0.1

then press

esc
:wq
<enter>

to save and close the document
Once again good luck.
ok most of your command that you have given me early works. except for that namerserver command.

can you tell me where do i find this document? i still dont understand what you mean "to edit the document"? can you direct me to the location of document?

i understand that i have to edit the document.

what is :wq?

it workin so far..just this step and i think it will work!


btw, i went and look for the "etc" folder..i couldn't find the "resolv.conf".

Last edited by desiraju01; 02-28-2007 at 05:50 PM.
 
Old 02-28-2007, 05:52 PM   #58
desiraju01
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Posts: 32

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bskrakes
Sorry to leave you hanging like that desiraju01. I tried to privately message you but you don't have the e-mail option turned on. Anyway I read some stuff to catch up to where you are at and still want to help. I would rather try and help privately as this form is going to involve so many different ways of doing a setup, as well as different opinions. If you want to do this send me a message.

Cheers,
Brendan
hey its ok! i'll surely send u a private message if i need help. right now, i got the flow going so im getting hang of it.
 
Old 02-28-2007, 07:09 PM   #59
Emerson
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Saint Amant, Acadiana
Distribution: Gentoo ~arch
Posts: 5,872

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Bless you, AwesomeMachine. You were right about ADD.
 
Old 02-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #60
desiraju01
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Posts: 32

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson
Bless you, AwesomeMachine. You were right about ADD.

awesomemachine and emerson, please do not go off-topic in my thread. if you have something useful to say, then please do otherwise dont say anything. thanx!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
link dies intermittently-seemingly at random- between win<->linux not linux<->linux?? takahaya Linux - Networking 10 03-09-2007 11:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration