Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Ok guys.... Im getting a little frustated but I wont give up that wireless nic and my ati card will work....
what I need install at least a 2.4.23 kernel..
What I have... Suse 9.0 Kernel 2.4.21
AMD Barton 2500
ATI Radeon 9500
Wireless G card
What I have done so far:
Downloaded kernel 2.6.1.
- Installed kernel sources and all packages needed to build a new kernel..
- copied the contents to /usr/src/kernel-2.6.1
- removed previous linux simlink
- made new simlink to kernel-2.6.1 as linux
- make oldconfig ----> I'll get more details below.
- make clean bzImage modules modules_install
- copied the new bzImage /boot as bzImage-2.6.1
- copied system.xxx /boot system.xxx-2.6.1 (xxx dont remember right now the ext name)
- renamed old system.xxx system.xxxold
- made symlink system.xxx system.xxx-2.6.1
- edit /etc/lilo.conf, added the /boot/bzImage-2.6.1 (and the other stuff, vga = normal)
- Got stuck when it was mounting ext2 filesystem.....
what i did wrong, and what do i need to do to fix it?
Anyone kwows a guide of the options available on the kernel?
What error messages do you get ? Please post them.
Are you using a kernel with initrd support?
If yes, did you create an initrd image ?
Did you have an old .config lying around for the 2.6 kernel?
Dont do make oldconfig unless you have a running config file.
Distribution: Fedora Core 1 & WinXP Pro & Gentoo 1.4 & Arch Linux
There are way too many things that are different from 2.4.21 to 2.6.1 that I wouldn't suggest the copy/make old.config approach. I think you will be alot better off doing make menuconfig and going from there.