LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
iiiiiChan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
New in Linux Fedora


hi everyone mind if anyone could give me a hint on the syste linux fedora, and on what programs are compatible for the system, developing programs, etc. aside from that may i ask the question if i use fedora as an operating system should i download a driver for my unit? or ican use the same drivers that i use in windows xp.

thx in advance
 
Old 07-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
teek
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: The Netherlands; Dordrecht
Distribution: Arch (at the moment)
Posts: 110

Rep: Reputation: 16
You don't have to download "a" driver for your unit, they *should* all be included. If Fedora does not recognize all your hardware out of the box, as a noob it will be hard to fix.

You can definitely not use the same drivers as for XP (perhaps for your wlan with ndiswrapper but again that is quite complicated)

Linux has pretty broad hardware support though.

On the development programs... no idea
 
Old 07-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
nuwen52
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Distribution: Debian, CentOS 5, Gentoo, FreeBSD, Fedora, Mint, Slackware64
Posts: 208

Rep: Reputation: 46
The question of development programs is often dependent on the language. For shell scripting and c programming, I usually just use vi or nedit. There's a lot of others out there. If you have a language in mind, I'm sure someone will have a good idea of what you can use.
 
Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.9, Centos 7.3
Posts: 17,362

Rep: Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377Reputation: 2377
As for programs compatible, use the Add/Remove Software menu option. That will connect you to the official Fedora repositories, where you can download/update SW for Fedora.
For development I think we need a bit more detail about exactly what you mean.
Also, please put then name Fedora and its version in your profile. It will help people give you the correct help.
 
Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
jeromeNP7
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 101

Rep: Reputation: 19
For development there are several editors and IDE's available, like Kate, Anjuta, QT, KDevelop or the whole Eclipse stuff. These support multiple programming languages in terms of syntax highlighting and such things. These are all GUI tool for X-Windows. I do not assume that anyone still does full-scale programming on a shell terminal.

Linux

Last edited by jeromeNP7; 09-04-2009 at 09:16 PM.
 
Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
iiiiiChan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by teek View Post
You don't have to download "a" driver for your unit, they *should* all be included. If Fedora does not recognize all your hardware out of the box, as a noob it will be hard to fix.

You can definitely not use the same drivers as for XP (perhaps for your wlan with ndiswrapper but again that is quite complicated)

Linux has pretty broad hardware support though.

On the development programs... no idea

thanks for the info...so you're saying that i don't need to download any drivers for my unit if i use fedora as my OS? and do you mean that fedora has the drivers for my unit?
 
Old 07-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
iiiiiChan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism01 View Post
As for programs compatible, use the Add/Remove Software menu option. That will connect you to the official Fedora repositories, where you can download/update SW for Fedora.
For development I think we need a bit more detail about exactly what you mean.
Also, please put then name Fedora and its version in your profile. It will help people give you the correct help.
so you say that the add remove software menu option will direct me to the site that will show me the programs compatible for linux fedora??

how about vb6? is it compatible with linux fedora?
 
Old 07-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #8
iiiiiChan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeNP7 View Post
For development there are several editors and IDE's available, like Kate, Anjuta, QT, KDevelop or the whole Eclipse stuff. These support multiple programming languages in terms of syntax highlighting and such things. These are all GUI tool for X-Windows. I do not assume that anyone still does full-scale programming on a shell terminal.

i see.. that helps me a lot.. mind if u post the links where i can download development tools compatible with linux fedora thanks
 
Old 07-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
iiiiiChan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwen52 View Post
The question of development programs is often dependent on the language. For shell scripting and c programming, I usually just use vi or nedit. There's a lot of others out there. If you have a language in mind, I'm sure someone will have a good idea of what you can use.
thanks for the information.. i was thinking about python? can u rate it from 1-10 . i mean how was it? is it good is it user friendly?
 
Old 07-02-2009, 01:01 AM   #10
reptiler
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Distribution: Fedora
Posts: 184

Rep: Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiiiiChan
so you say that the add remove software menu option will direct me to the site that will show me the programs compatible for linux fedora??
Sort of. But it's not actually a site, it's a program that lists the available software and then will download it. That's the nice thing with software-management in Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiiiiChan
how about vb6? is it compatible with linux fedora?
No idea. VB.net can be done through Mono though.

Quote:
i see.. that helps me a lot.. mind if u post the links where i can download development tools compatible with linux fedora thanks
It's all in the software-management.
 
Old 07-02-2009, 03:44 AM   #11
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,093

Rep: Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474
to install the devel tools just use yum and do a group install
see
Code:
yum --help
man yum
--- then see ----
yum grouplist
then this-- or something similar ( i am on CentOS at the moment )
Code:
su -
yum groupinstall "Development Tools" "Development Libraries" "GNOME Software Development" "Legacy Software Development"
 
Old 07-02-2009, 05:42 AM   #12
teek
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: The Netherlands; Dordrecht
Distribution: Arch (at the moment)
Posts: 110

Rep: Reputation: 16
You might want to try fedora in a virtual machine first, try virtualbox, you can test fedora, see ho it works, mess it up, play with it and you don't have to fear that you get an unworkable pc.
 
Old 07-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #13
iiiiiChan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
to install the devel tools just use yum and do a group install
see
Code:
yum --help
man yum
--- then see ----
yum grouplist
then this-- or something similar ( i am on CentOS at the moment )
Code:
su -
yum groupinstall "Development Tools" "Development Libraries" "GNOME Software Development" "Legacy Software Development"
so how about the "yum" is yum a command and where can i see that in the fedora os?

and how about the internet connection? should i setup the internet? cz i've seen topics having problems regarding internet connection
 
Old 07-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #14
iiiiiChan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by teek View Post
You might want to try fedora in a virtual machine first, try virtualbox, you can test fedora, see ho it works, mess it up, play with it and you don't have to fear that you get an unworkable pc.
yes mister teek a friend of mine already told me about that, he uses linux backtrack
 
Old 07-02-2009, 06:56 AM   #15
teek
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: The Netherlands; Dordrecht
Distribution: Arch (at the moment)
Posts: 110

Rep: Reputation: 16
Yes, your questions are screaming for an install in a virtual machine , play around with it, I think you'll find a lot self explainatory and easy to find (easier then to imagine everything from our stories).
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm a newb for Fedora Linux. I have got to the point to install fedora on E:. dis Linux - Newbie 4 12-12-2008 09:06 PM
Linux Newbie: Would like a suggestion for wireless card for Linux Fedora Core 3. Gueron Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 10-06-2005 03:15 PM
Will the Fedora Foundation be paying for the Linux Distribution, Fedora forum at LQ? t3gah Fedora 1 06-06-2005 06:44 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration