LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #16
un1x
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2015
Posts: 497

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido_dogstoyevsky View Post

The only thing I can add is that the best way to learn Linux
dont think so 'pal' (thus b/w quotation marks)

https://www.linuxmint.com/
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #17
dwnthk
Member
 
Registered: May 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 + Fluxbox
Posts: 65

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile

Thank you guys. I am appreciate your help.

Since there were some unmovable system blocks in my Windows partition, it took me 5~6 hours to shrink 40GB out from the Windows partition. (GUSH~~~ )

With some google help and installed the system twice, I finally get my Slackware running in my machine. But I still can't figure out how to setup my wifi connection. The networkManager doesn't seem user-friendly, and it greys out and I can't enable it. I need more time to figure it out.

Anyway, I like it so far. Thank guys.

PS: Please recommend me some books or websites to learn Linux.

Last edited by dwnthk; 05-01-2016 at 09:44 PM.
 
Old 05-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #18
fido_dogstoyevsky
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Location: Victoria, Australia
Distribution: Slackware 14.2
Posts: 121
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by un1x View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fido_dogstoyevsky View Post
The only thing I can add is that the best way to learn Linux [is to use it to get your work done wherever you can]
dont think so 'pal' (thus b/w quotation marks)
Do you know of a better way?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:39 AM   #19
beachboy2
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Wild West Wales, UK
Distribution: Linux Mint 18 MATE, antiX-16.1, MX-16
Posts: 2,093
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 755Reputation: 755Reputation: 755Reputation: 755Reputation: 755Reputation: 755Reputation: 755
dwnthk,

Just use Mr Google.

I already recommended Slackware Documentation:
https://docs.slackware.com/

Here are a few more:

http://linux-bible.com/

http://linuxsurvival.com/

http://linuxcommand.org/

https://github.com/jlevy/the-art-of-command-line

http://linuxreviews.org/beginner/

Linux Books and Online Magazines:

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...line_Magazines

Happy reading!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:37 AM   #20
keefaz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,388

Rep: Reputation: 408Reputation: 408Reputation: 408Reputation: 408Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnthk View Post
But I still can't figure out how to setup my wifi connection.
I like wicd (from /extra), easy config and has little gui on Xfce menu
http://docs.slackware.com/slackbook:wifi#wicd
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:13 AM   #21
dwnthk
Member
 
Registered: May 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 + Fluxbox
Posts: 65

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy2 View Post
Thanks beachboy2. You are awesome.
 
Old 05-02-2016, 04:15 AM   #22
dwnthk
Member
 
Registered: May 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 + Fluxbox
Posts: 65

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefaz View Post
I like wicd (from /extra), easy config and has little gui on Xfce menu
http://docs.slackware.com/slackbook:wifi#wicd

Thanks. I will check it out later today.

If the wifi connection is ok, then I will give to use Linux instead of my Windows.
 
Old 05-02-2016, 06:17 AM   #23
keefaz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,388

Rep: Reputation: 408Reputation: 408Reputation: 408Reputation: 408Reputation: 408
If wicd doesn't appear on Xfce panel, you may need to add Notification Area plugin (right click on panel, add new items)

http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/add-new-items
http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/systray
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #24
dwnthk
Member
 
Registered: May 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 + Fluxbox
Posts: 65

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefaz View Post
If wicd doesn't appear on Xfce panel, you may need to add Notification Area plugin (right click on panel, add new items)

http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/add-new-items
http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/systray
Thank again.

I've found it very strange about the system. First I was fooling around the KDE, and somehow I turned the sound off. Then I switched to xfce since I couldn't fix the wifi problem in KDE. After the xfce started, the sound was off, and I couldn't turn it on back. So, I went back to KDE and turned volumn back on. Then I can hear sound in xfce.
 
Old 05-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #25
beachboy2
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Wild West Wales, UK
Distribution: Linux Mint 18 MATE, antiX-16.1, MX-16
Posts: 2,093
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 755Reputation: 755Reputation: 755Reputation: 755Reputation: 755Reputation: 755Reputation: 755
dwnthk,

Quote:
Thanks beachboy2. You are awesome.
Spare my blushes!

Glad to hear that you are settling in to Linux world.

PS Just keep on clicking Yes for "Did you find this post useful?"

Last edited by beachboy2; 05-02-2016 at 09:42 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #26
keefaz
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,388

Rep: Reputation: 408Reputation: 408Reputation: 408Reputation: 408Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnthk View Post
Thank again.

I've found it very strange about the system. First I was fooling around the KDE, and somehow I turned the sound off. Then I switched to xfce since I couldn't fix the wifi problem in KDE. After the xfce started, the sound was off, and I couldn't turn it on back. So, I went back to KDE and turned volumn back on. Then I can hear sound in xfce.
I am not familiar with kde, it seems it requires wicd-kde package to work with (maybe you have it installed already, check with ls /var/log/packages/wicd-kde*)

For sound, it's not unusual that channels are muted by default, 'alsamixer' command should show that, surelly kde settings unmuted channels in some way.

Last edited by keefaz; 05-02-2016 at 10:11 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #27
Emerson
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Saint Amant, Acadiana
Distribution: Gentoo ~arch
Posts: 5,959

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy2 View Post
PS Just keep on clicking Yes for "Did you find this post useful?"
Very dignified ... we are not. Soliciting.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #28
dwnthk
Member
 
Registered: May 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 + Fluxbox
Posts: 65

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefaz View Post
I am not familiar with kde, it seems it requires wicd-kde package to work with (maybe you have it installed already, check with ls /var/log/packages/wicd-kde*)

For sound, it's not unusual that channels are muted by default, 'alsamixer' command should show that, surelly kde settings unmuted channels in some way.
Don't worry. It is ok. I will figure it out.

It is my first reply using Linux to do. My wifi setting has been fixed. The browser's response is very fast! Thanks Keefaz.

Last edited by dwnthk; 05-02-2016 at 10:44 AM.
 
Old 05-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #29
dwnthk
Member
 
Registered: May 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 + Fluxbox
Posts: 65

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy2 View Post
dwnthk,



Spare my blushes!

Glad to hear that you are settling in to Linux world.

PS Just keep on clicking Yes for "Did you find this post useful?"

What good does "Yes" do?
 
Old 05-03-2016, 12:58 AM   #30
mralk3
Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Posts: 869

Rep: Reputation: 278Reputation: 278Reputation: 278
New guy for Slackware :P

It will boost forum reputation, which is silly.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello Guys satyatv LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 0 03-28-2012 04:49 AM
Hi guys ! Joz_59 LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 1 01-19-2011 03:00 PM
Hi guys. Difficilus LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 1 01-04-2011 02:29 PM
guys little help maddeamon Programming 7 02-20-2006 07:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration