LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
robertneville777
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: 15
Exclamation Need to choose which Ubuntu to install on PS3


Hey guys. I currently have Yellow Dog 5.0.1 on my PS3 WHICH IS ON A STANDARD TV, and obviously the RESOLUTION SUCKS, and I mean REALLY BAD. Also, since I'm only okay with computers in general, and still relatively new to Linux, my question is "which Ubuntu version should I install to solve this fuzziness problem (like reading words and text) and will this be a lot more user friendly than yellow dog? The reason why I ask is I've heard there are some problems putting 7.10 on PS3. My other question is if I choose Ubuntu, how can I make Ubuntu look like mac os? My last question is what do I need to make web browsing safe while using Ubuntu (does it come with a firewall and an antivirus program? WHOEVER ANSWERS THIS, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP. MANY THANKS GUYS!
 
Old 10-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
Total-MAdMaN
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 306

Rep: Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertneville777 View Post
Hey guys. I currently have Yellow Dog 5.0.1 on my PS3 WHICH IS ON A STANDARD TV, and obviously the RESOLUTION SUCKS, and I mean REALLY BAD. Also, since I'm only okay with computers in general, and still relatively new to Linux, my question is "which Ubuntu version should I install to solve this fuzziness problem (like reading words and text) and will this be a lot more user friendly than yellow dog?.
This page tells you how to install Ubuntu on the PS3, though I'm not sure whether it'll help with the fuzzy text due to how a standard def TV works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertneville777 View Post
My other question is if I choose Ubuntu, how can I make Ubuntu look like mac os?
It all depends on what GUI you use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertneville777 View Post
My last question is what do I need to make web browsing safe while using Ubuntu (does it come with a firewall and an antivirus program?
With Linux you don't currently need an antivirus program, as you're unlikely to come across one of the very few viruses that run on Linux. Linux has a firewall built-in, so you just need to choose an interface that you feel comfortable with using to set the firewall up the way you need it.

Last edited by Total-MAdMaN; 10-08-2008 at 04:50 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If I install ubuntu on my ps3 will I be able to do everything I could on a PC? Mac_09 Ubuntu 1 07-03-2008 02:36 PM
LXer: Ubuntu 7.10 on PS3 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-10-2007 07:10 AM
LXer: Dell to choose Ubuntu LXer Syndicated Linux News 1 05-07-2007 08:40 PM
finally installed Ubuntu on PS3 inee Ubuntu 4 01-12-2007 04:04 PM
Ubuntu on PS3 issues inee Ubuntu 5 01-09-2007 09:09 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration