What to do once you have your tar.gz file..
1. Untar your file like this: tar -xzvf filename.tar.gz
- this will unpack your tar file (as well as un-gzip it) into a directory called apache-x.x.x. The "-xzvf" means, eXtract, ungZip, Verbose output, Filename follows.
2. cd apache-x.x.x
(change into the apache directory that was just created on the last command)
3. ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
5. make install
6. cd /usr/local/apache/
7. pico (or whatever text editor you use) /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
- make any changes you want here, but I think it may not be necessary to make changes just to launch your web server.
8. Launch your web server with: /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
9. You can stop your web server with: /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl stop
Your main web content directory is here: /usr/local/apache/htdocs
. Now that you have your browser loaded, and your Apache server running, point your browser address to: http://localhost/
- if you see an Apache welcome message, you're golden.