Hi, been a month since I bought a new computer, but I still haven't got it fully running. Below are my problems.
I am using Debian-tracking the stable distribution, at least I think, cause the cd was wheezy 7.3.0 but I change sources.list to update from stable instead.
1. Graphics Card- using AMD Radeon HD 7800, no idea debian doesn't officially support proprietary stuff, before I buy. I use the debian default gnome environment, but it says it doesn't fully load due to the graphics card. Found the fglrx-driver from debian but it gives a black screen after installing.
Then I tried the latest from the amd website AMD Catalyst™ 13.12 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver but it jams halfway, so I did a force install. It works, but sometimes, it gives a black screen or just keep loading without getting to windows. Also, the shutdown button sometimes appear and sometimes not and it doesn't always shutdown, sometimes it restarts the computer instead. I run auto fsck when reboot it shows fine, but after that it gives me a never ending load.
2. Debian related- the first time I ask something from debian mailing list, it didn't appear and I got no reply at all and I dunno how to check the status of a question. What is the differences between stable and stable-updates, is security updates also part of stable-updates? Cause I am tracking stable and security updates only.
3. The default gnash installed from debian doesn't play youtube videos at all. I can install adobe flash, but it doesn't support iceweasel from months ago(only google now, I dunno why) and I want my computer to be as free as possible as I want to follow the debian people. I check gnash website, but the last update was almost 2 years ago, and I already have the latest version.
4. Using Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB, I checked that they don't have a Linux firmware, only for windows, the given cd doesn't auto run on Linux. so I dunno how to get an update or if I need one. I assume that its ok cause it can save stuff, but I think the graphics card problem may be related to no update of firmware. Guessing here.
5. Samsung CD-rom drive- doesn't install - they give 2 programs Power2GO Essentials and Nero Kwik Media Downloader both of which only for windows, and I dunno where to find for Linux.
6. Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H, the CD also contains a lot of programs no idea whats inside, but doesn't run on Linux, so I dunno if this is related to the other problems.
I think this are some of the more major problems, so please help thanks.