LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
Kuroneku
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Need really help with Linux!


Hey Guys.
I have professional knowledge with Windows, but Linux makes my life hard!
I really could not find what could help me.

My goal is it to make the experience how a WEP secured network is hacked.
But when I start the Backtrack 3 Final Boot CD and want to search for Wireless networks I cant find any Networks [including my own].

And besides, does anybody have a GOOD guide how to install things on linux?


Im using this TUT :
http://thew0rd.com/2008/08/19/tutori...g-backtrack-3/

[i got an intel wireless agb 3945 wireless adapter]
 
Old 11-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #2
whansard
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: Mosquitoville
Distribution: RH 6.2, Gen2, Knoppix,arch, bodhi, studio, suse, mint
Posts: 3,186

Rep: Reputation: 52
And besides, does anybody have a GOOD guide how to install things on linux?

It depends on the distribution you are using, which you didn't post.
 
Old 11-22-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
Kuroneku
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by whansard View Post
And besides, does anybody have a GOOD guide how to install things on linux?

It depends on the distribution you are using, which you didn't post.
can you tell me at least why i cant find any wireless networks with linux?

distribution? sorry, i dont know the meaning of that in the computer world, since i studied everything in german.
 
Old 11-22-2008, 01:19 AM   #4
phantom_cyph
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: My HDD...
Distribution: WinXP for designing, Linux for life.
Posts: 2,329
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroneku View Post
can you tell me at least why i cant find any wireless networks with linux?

distribution? sorry, i dont know the meaning of that in the computer world, since i studied everything in german.
You're going to have to find out if the module that you activate is actually activated on your card. After the "modprobe" commands on that tutorial, try "lsmod" to see a list of modules that are activated and what is using that module. Post the output of "lsmod" on here.

whansard apparently didn't see that you did post your distribution -> BackTrack. A distribution is simply an operating system based on the Linux kernel. From there, it can take any form. Most distributions are based on the big, original "distros": Debian, Slackware, and Redhat. They tend to use .deb, .tgz, or .rpm package management, similar (in theory) but not the same as Window's .exe files. BackTrack, what you are using, is based on Slackware and Slax (a LiveCD off-take of Slackware). Some distributions require software to be installed via source, and some, like the Puppy Linux distribution, have their own package management system and use .pups (I think thats it..) instead of the usual 3 types.

If you want an almost complete list of Distributions, you can go to www.distrowatch.com, it lists all the latest releases and descriptions for a few hundred distros.

BTW-check out the Linux distribution "Protech" while you're on DistroWatch, I personally like it better than BackTrack.

Last edited by phantom_cyph; 11-22-2008 at 01:21 AM.
 
Old 11-22-2008, 01:32 AM   #5
Kuroneku
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom_cyph View Post
You're going to have to find out if the module that you activate is actually activated on your card. After the "modprobe" commands on that tutorial, try "lsmod" to see a list of modules that are activated and what is using that module. Post the output of "lsmod" on here.

whansard apparently didn't see that you did post your distribution -> BackTrack. A distribution is simply an operating system based on the Linux kernel. From there, it can take any form. Most distributions are based on the big, original "distros": Debian, Slackware, and Redhat. They tend to use .deb, .tgz, or .rpm package management, similar (in theory) but not the same as Window's .exe files. BackTrack, what you are using, is based on Slackware and Slax (a LiveCD off-take of Slackware). Some distributions require software to be installed via source, and some, like the Puppy Linux distribution, have their own package management system and use .pups (I think thats it..) instead of the usual 3 types.

If you want an almost complete list of Distributions, you can go to www.distrowatch.com, it lists all the latest releases and descriptions for a few hundred distros.

BTW-check out the Linux distribution "Protech" while you're on DistroWatch, I personally like it better than BackTrack.




Module Size Used by
ipwraw 118296 0
snd_seq_dummy 6660 0
snd_seq_oss 32768 0
snd_seq_midi_event 10112 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 49872 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 10508 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss 42656 0
snd_mixer_oss 17920 1 snd_pcm_oss
pcmcia 35244 0
pcmcia_core 36628 1 pcmcia
capability 7304 0
commoncap 9344 1 capability
fuse 41876 4
lp 13864 0
parport_pc 27940 0
parport 34888 2 lp,parport_pc
pcspkr 6400 0
psmouse 38792 0
arc4 5888 0
ecb 6656 0
snd_hda_intel 20248 0
snd_hda_codec 211712 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm 71428 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer 22276 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
intel_agp 25500 1
hci_usb 18588 0
iTCO_wdt 12964 0
agpgart 31304 1 intel_agp
iTCO_vendor_support 7172 1 iTCO_wdt
bluetooth 52964 1 hci_usb
snd 46692 9 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd _timer
r8169 29704 0
sg 30364 0
soundcore 9824 1 snd
ata_generic 9220 0
snd_page_alloc 11400 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
shpchp 33300 0
serio_raw 9220 0
evdev 12032 5
i2c_i801 11536 0
aufs 106372 1
squashfs 48388 11
sqlzma 6916 1 squashfs
unlzma 8576 1 sqlzma






thanks so far!


what do you say?

Last edited by Kuroneku; 11-22-2008 at 01:43 AM.
 
Old 11-22-2008, 04:12 AM   #6
knudfl
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Copenhagen, DK
Distribution: pclos2016 CentOS6.9 CentOS7.3 + 50+ other Linux OS, for test only.
Posts: 16,682

Rep: Reputation: 3284Reputation: 3284Reputation: 3284Reputation: 3284Reputation: 3284Reputation: 3284Reputation: 3284Reputation: 3284Reputation: 3284Reputation: 3284Reputation: 3284
Quote:
My goal is it to make the experience how a WEP secured network is hacked.
If you want to change password for your own network : The manual
will probably have the instructions.
Trying to hack any other network is illegal, and cannot be
discussed in this forum.

The German word for Distributions : Distributionen.
e.g. Ubuntu, BackTrack, etc.

Last edited by knudfl; 11-22-2008 at 04:23 AM.
 
Old 11-22-2008, 04:29 AM   #7
billymayday
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuse, Slack, Gentoo, Debian, Arch, PCBSD
Posts: 6,678

Rep: Reputation: 122Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by whansard View Post
And besides, does anybody have a GOOD guide how to install things on linux?

It depends on the distribution you are using, which you didn't post.
Backtrack yes it was posted (it's a security live CD)
 
Old 11-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
comprookie2000
Gentoo Developer
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale FL.
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 3,291
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 56
As root post;
lspci | grep Ethernet
and
iwconfig
 
Old 11-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
Kuroneku
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by knudfl View Post
If you want to change password for your own network : The manual
will probably have the instructions.
Trying to hack any other network is illegal, and cannot be
discussed in this forum.

The German word for Distributions : Distributionen.
e.g. Ubuntu, BackTrack, etc.


i know that for sure, and i dont want to make any illegal actions, because my records are clean.

i will do it with my own wireless network, but somehow when i boot backtrack i cant find any wireless networks anymore.

thats the problem!
 
Old 11-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
Kuroneku
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
bt ~ # modprobe -r iwl3945
bt ~ # modprobe ipwraw
bt ~ # lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT
Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT
Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Aud
io Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (r
ev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (r
ev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controll
er #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controll
er #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controll er #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controll er #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Control ler (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (re v 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (re v 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Con troller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce Go 7600] (rev a1)
04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Conne ction (rev 02)
05:04.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Cont roller (PHY/Link)
05:05.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Et hernet (rev 10)
05:07.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6421 IDE RAID Controller ( rev 50)
bt ~ # iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wifi0 unassociated ESSIDff/any
Mode:Monitor Channel=1 Bit Rate=54 Mb/s

rtap0 no wireless extensions.

bt ~ # lspci | grep Ethernet
05:05.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
bt ~ # iwlist scan
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wifi0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

rtap0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

bt ~ #






can anybody tell me why linux is saying that wifi0 does not support scanning?

please give me a hand xD im researching for weeks now.
 
Old 11-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #11
comprookie2000
Gentoo Developer
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale FL.
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 3,291
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 56
You will need the firmware;
http://intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads

What kernel?
uname -a
 
Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #12
Kuroneku
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprookie2000 View Post
You will need the firmware;
http://intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads

What kernel?
uname -a
OHH MY GOD I THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!
You helped ALOT with just a few words =)


Just one single favor..
Can you tell me what i have to put into the "[ ]" (in the tutorial), because in some cases its not working!

http://thew0rd.com/2008/08/19/tutori...g-backtrack-3/

Thanks alot!
 
Old 11-23-2008, 03:56 AM   #13
comprookie2000
Gentoo Developer
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale FL.
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 3,291
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 56
Post what you have tried?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration