LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
lordlucifer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2014
Distribution: ubuntu, mint
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Need help in installing Ubuntu


Hi guys !

I have been using ubuntu 14.04 in an usb .And finally I have made my mind to install it along with windows 7.I have not installed any distro before.Just tried them in a VM.
When I went for installation I got some options like
1)Installing it along with other os.
2)Erase everything and install ubuntu.
3)Try something else.

As I said I want to dualboot ,so I can not go for option (2).I tried to find the answer in google.Some guy in the net suggested to choose option (3) and create a a root,a home and a swap partition and then install the os.
So guys please please guide me and tell me choosing each option exactly does what ?

And remember every reply adds

Last edited by lordlucifer; 06-29-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Correcting English
 
Old 06-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Philip Lacroix
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Distribution: Slackware{,-current}, OpenBSD
Posts: 361

Rep: Reputation: 377Reputation: 377Reputation: 377Reputation: 377
Hi there,

if you want to dual-boot Ubuntu with Windows, but you prefer not to mess with partitions and filesystems yourself, then the easiest and safest way is probably the first option, which allows the installer to do some work for you. If no free space is available for a new Linux partition, the installer will help you to resize existing ones, without (hopefully) losing data in the process.

Option 3) assumes that you are an advanced user who knows how to deal with partitions and filesystems (that is, create, delete, resize them without losing data and breaking anything).

Whatever option you choose, be sure you have working backups of your data, in case something goes wrong.

Kind regards,
Philip

Last edited by Philip Lacroix; 06-29-2014 at 01:25 PM.
 
Old 06-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 6,869

Rep: Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247
The Alongside method is certainly the easiest, if it works and it usually does. However, if it does not, you will have absolutely no idea what went wrong. You might go to the link below and read the tutorial which is very detailed and also explains a little about partitions and using the 'Something Else' option. If you don't understand it, you might try the Alongside method. You will certainly have a better understanding of what is going on during the install and will learn more with the 'Something Else' option.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/u...all-guide.html
 
Old 06-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
jross
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Distribution: Xubuntu 14.04
Posts: 164

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The "install alongside windows 7" option will do it automatically for you. It will take care of the swap and root that the guy recommended. The only thing it will not do is the "home" partition (that is an optional thing that is not required).

If you do that, it will present you with its proposed HD division sizes, the left side will be Windows and the right side ubuntu. If you don't like the sizes, you can slide the middle bar to adjust. However, to be safe you should not make the windows side any smaller. But if it gives you too much on the ubuntu side, you can reduce that (i.e. leave more for windows).

Doing the "something else" takes a lot more knowledge. My theory is if you don't really know how to do this, it is much safer to just let it do it automatically. The ubuntu installer is actually pretty good at this. Note: if it doesn't actually mention the "along side Windows 7 in the option, cancel and come back here and say exactly what it said.
 
Old 06-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
fbt
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Distribution: Chakra
Posts: 79

Rep: Reputation: 26
As others have said option 1 is the way to go. But before that BACKUP all your data and be prepared to reinstall Windows, just in case something goes wrong. Also it's a good idea to clear out your temp/cache files, empth the trash and remove as much as possible from Windows. You want Ubuntu to be able to create at least 20 gig of space for Linux, more if you want to really use it with all your files.
 
Old 07-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
lordlucifer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2014
Distribution: ubuntu, mint
Posts: 25

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
The "install alongside windows 7" option will do it automatically for you. It will take care of the swap and root that the guy recommended. The only thing it will not do is the "home" partition (that is an optional thing that is not required).

If you do that, it will present you with its proposed HD division sizes, the left side will be Windows and the right side ubuntu. If you don't like the sizes, you can slide the middle bar to adjust. However, to be safe you should not make the windows side any smaller. But if it gives you too much on the ubuntu side, you can reduce that (i.e. leave more for windows).

Doing the "something else" takes a lot more knowledge. My theory is if you don't really know how to do this, it is much safer to just let it do it automatically. The ubuntu installer is actually pretty good at this. Note: if it doesn't actually mention the "along side Windows 7 in the option, cancel and come back here and say exactly what it said.

Many thanks buddy for your kind response.
And yes it says "install ubuntu along side windows7 and docs,musics and other personal files will be kept and you can choose which OS you want each time your computer starts".Now what do you say ?
 
Old 07-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
suicidaleggroll
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS
Posts: 5,258

Rep: Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947
You want to install Ubuntu along side Windows 7, yes? So you would choose the option that says "Install Ubuntu along side Windows 7". It seems to me that the option you want is very clearly indicated, doesn't the description you just posted from the installer itself describe exactly what you want to do? Or is there more to this question that I'm not understanding?

Last edited by suicidaleggroll; 07-01-2014 at 01:54 PM.
 
Old 07-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
lordlucifer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2014
Distribution: ubuntu, mint
Posts: 25

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Exclamation Formatted space issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll View Post
You want to install Ubuntu along side Windows 7, yes? So you would choose the option that says "Install Ubuntu along side Windows 7". It seems to me that the option you want is very clearly indicated, doesn't the description you just posted from the installer itself describe exactly what you want to do? Or is there more to this question that I'm not understanding?
Yes man,you are right with both the aspects.I do want to install ubuntu along with windows 7 and it is clearly indicated in option (1).
That's right.But the thing I am worried about is like this.
I had linpus lite and windows 7 ,dualbooted in my lappy. Then I decided to eliminate linpus lite in order to install ubuntu. So I formatted all the partitions containing Linpus lite except the one small(512 mb) partition that contains GNU grub.In this
way I got around 31.7 GB free space.
Now an LQ buddy, jross informed me that choosing option (1) will create a swap and a root partition ,but not a home partition.If I am not wrong than it will share the home partition with windows.So many of the free space will be
remain unused.This is the thing that is eating me.
This is a very serious thing and I am expecting help .
 
Old 07-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
suicidaleggroll
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS
Posts: 5,258

Rep: Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947
If a separate /home partition is not created, then /home will just sit on the overarching / partition. Unless you need/want a separate /home partition (upgrading OS without wiping out user data, etc.) then it'll work just fine as a regular subdirectory of /. The Windows partition will never be used for any Linux-specific files/directories. It will be mountable from within Linux so you can access the files there, but none of your Linux files will ever be placed there by default, and it will not behave as a "shared" /home partition unless you go out of your way to make it do so.

Last edited by suicidaleggroll; 07-01-2014 at 03:13 PM.
 
Old 07-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
Nbiser
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Fedora, Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Knoppix, Helix,
Posts: 302
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 44
If I were you I would deffinitley use the automatic option, it is much easier, safer, and works well overall. I have used it multiple times and I haven't had any problems with it yet.

As far as a home partition goes there should be an option that comes up after install asking you if you wish to create a seperate home partition, if you say yes it will automatically create a seperate /home partition!

Good luck!
Nbiser
 
Old 07-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
lordlucifer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2014
Distribution: ubuntu, mint
Posts: 25

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll View Post
If a separate /home partition is not created, then /home will just sit on the overarching / partition. Unless you need/want a separate /home partition (upgrading OS without wiping out user data, etc.) then it'll work just fine as a regular subdirectory of /. The Windows partition will never be used for any Linux-specific files/directories. It will be mountable from within Linux so you can access the files there, but none of your Linux files will ever be placed there by default, and it will not behave as a "shared" /home partition unless you go out of your way to make it do so.
Well lets forget everything for a minute.
Now will the ubuntu be installed in that formatted free space(31.7 GB) that I made by removing lite ?
 
Old 07-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
jross
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Distribution: Xubuntu 14.04
Posts: 164

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I didn't mean to confuse you with the home comment, just forget about home (explaining it more will just confuse you; it will not affect your windows 7 in any way whatsoever).

But you did add a lot of info that wasn't in the original post, so before saying anything else, when you turn on this computer does it boot right into windows 7 as it always did or do you get a grub menu offering to choose between windows and linpus lite (I know the linpus lite is gone but is the boot menu still showing up)?
 
Old 07-02-2014, 02:13 AM   #13
lordlucifer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2014
Distribution: ubuntu, mint
Posts: 25

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
I didn't mean to confuse you with the home comment, just forget about home (explaining it more will just confuse you; it will not affect your windows 7 in any way whatsoever).

But you did add a lot of info that wasn't in the original post, so before saying anything else, when you turn on this computer does it boot right into windows 7 as it always did or do you get a grub menu offering to choose between windows and linpus lite (I know the linpus lite is gone but is the boot menu still showing up)?
Yeah, you suspected it right.
When I boot the computer it still shows the grub menu with windows and linpus Lite.Is there any way that I may able to remove the linpus Lite from the grub menu ?
And one more thing ,What is your opinion on " will the ubuntu be installed in that formatted free space(31.7 GB) that I made by removing lite ?"
 
Old 07-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #14
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,453
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlucifer View Post
Yeah, you suspected it right.
When I boot the computer it still shows the grub menu with windows and linpus Lite.Is there any way that I may able to remove the linpus Lite from the grub menu ?
And one more thing ,What is your opinion on " will the ubuntu be installed in that formatted free space(31.7 GB) that I made by removing lite ?"
When Ubuntu installs its GRUB, it will overwrite the linpus lite one.
and
Yes, if you choose that option when you get to the partitioning stage of the Ubuntu installation. As far as I can remember, the options are something like:
Use whole Disk - DO NOT CHOOSE THAT unless you want to say goodbye to Windows
Use Free Space - That chooses partition sizes for you, / , swap.
Manual - Choose your own partition sizes, and how many.
 
Old 07-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #15
jross
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2014
Distribution: Xubuntu 14.04
Posts: 164

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlucifer View Post
Yeah, you suspected it right.
When I boot the computer it still shows the grub menu with windows and linpus Lite.Is there any way that I may able to remove the linpus Lite from the grub menu ?
And one more thing ,What is your opinion on " will the ubuntu be installed in that formatted free space(31.7 GB) that I made by removing lite ?"

My biggest concern is the grub menu being there. This is beyond my knowledge and someone more experienced will have to help on this. My "guess" is that you want to get rid of that first (I have no idea if the ubuntu installer would automatically erase that and install its own-- the experts here would have to chime in on that).

I am also not sure about the formatted free space (might depend on how it was done). However, since you said the ubuntu installer recognizes the windows 7, I would assume it should work. One test that I can think of would be to just click the "install alongside windows 7" option. After you do that it will calculate how it thinks it should divide the HD. It will then show you (like I explained in an earlier post) a little graph of what it proposes, the windows will be on the left and the ubuntu on the right. So if the ubuntu size proposal is close to 31.7 GB I would think it will work as desired. If it is a different size altogether, then I am pretty sure you can still cancel and no harm is done.

But before you do that, wait for some input on the grub menu, that is what concerns me the most, and you need a more experienced person than me for advice on how to deal with that (or if it is even an issue).
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing (k)ubuntu-restricted-extras w/o installing java, looking for complete cmd cjae Ubuntu 3 05-20-2014 05:07 AM
LXer: Installing Xen On An Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Server From The Ubuntu Reposito LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 11-06-2007 09:50 PM
LXer: Installing Xen On An Ubuntu Feisty Fawn Server From The Ubuntu Repositories LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-01-2007 07:46 AM
ubuntu partitioning tool does not see external usb hard drive when installing ubuntu fakie_flip Linux - Software 2 07-30-2006 01:44 AM
Installing the nvidia driver off the web site and installing rpm in ubuntu? darkhatter Ubuntu 3 02-19-2006 03:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration