LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
P4sblom
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Espoo, Finland
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile MyHeritage-FamilyTreeBuilder sw - installation to Linux nearly OK. - Small problem.


As a newbie, I started with Linux ubuntu 14.04. I try to avoid using terminal commands. FamilyTreeBuilder was not possible.

After upgrading to ubuntu 14.10 I was able to install (with Q4Wine 1.1-r2) MyHeritage FamilyTreeBuilder sw nearly saccesfully. After installation when I try to open program it tries to make a customer data folder. That will give an error message:
Couldnt make folder: C:\user\peter\My Documents\MyHeritage\

FamilyTreeBuilder does not give any possibility to change the path.

I have SSD (sda = C: ) for Linux and separate HDD (sdb = D: ) for my files. For some reason, I am not allowed to write any files to sda (???).

Can anybody help?
P4sblom 17/02/2015
 
Old 02-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
tuxon86
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Location: Beauharnois, canada
Distribution: Mint
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by P4sblom View Post
As a newbie, I started with Linux ubuntu 14.04. I try to avoid using terminal commands. FamilyTreeBuilder was not possible.

After upgrading to ubuntu 14.10 I was able to install (with Q4Wine 1.1-r2) MyHeritage FamilyTreeBuilder sw nearly saccesfully. After installation when I try to open program it tries to make a customer data folder. That will give an error message:
Couldnt make folder: C:\user\peter\My Documents\MyHeritage\

FamilyTreeBuilder does not give any possibility to change the path.

I have SSD (sda = C: ) for Linux and separate HDD (sdb = D: ) for my files. For some reason, I am not allowed to write any files to sda (???).

Can anybody help?
P4sblom 17/02/2015
The best solution for running windows apps on Linux for me is to use Virtualbox. You then install windows in a virtual machine which gives you 100% compatibility.
 
Old 02-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
norobro
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Distribution: Debian Sid
Posts: 518

Rep: Reputation: 177Reputation: 177
I can't help with your problem, but webtrees is the genealogy software that I use and recommend. Although it is web based, I run it locally.

Also, the main developer is very active in the forums.
 
Old 02-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
suicidaleggroll
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS
Posts: 5,258

Rep: Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947Reputation: 1947
I do not recommend, as your first task in Linux, installing Windows software through Wine. You're just setting yourself up for failure.

There is no C: or D: in Linux, those are Windows terms. Wine creates a "fake" Windows directory structure inside itself with its own C: that the Windows applications can access. The actual location of this C: drive is /home/user/.wine/drive_c/.

You should strive to find a native Linux piece of software that can do what you want. If you can't find one, then I suggest looking into setting up a Windows VM inside Linux for running your Windows software. If you refuse to purchase a Windows license, or if your Linux system is not powerful enough to run Windows in a VM, THEN (and only then), should you start trying to fight with getting your software to run in Wine. Especially since that software, in general, has a pretty poor reputation for compatibility with Wine:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...ation&iId=7309

Last edited by suicidaleggroll; 02-17-2015 at 01:00 PM.
 
Old 02-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
P4sblom
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Espoo, Finland
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I want to still use FamilyTreeBuilder sw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norobro View Post
I can't help with your problem, but webtrees is the genealogy software that I use and recommend. Although it is web based, I run it locally.

Also, the main developer is very active in the forums.

Thanks, but I have a large database already in MyHeritage system, done with FamilyTreeBuilder, so I of cause want to go on with that,
P4sblom
 
Old 02-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
P4sblom
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: Espoo, Finland
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll View Post
I do not recommend, as your first task in Linux, installing Windows software through Wine. You're just setting yourself up for failure.

There is no C: or D: in Linux, those are Windows terms. Wine creates a "fake" Windows directory structure inside itself with its own C: that the Windows applications can access. The actual location of this C: drive is /home/user/.wine/drive_c/.

You should strive to find a native Linux piece of software that can do what you want. If you can't find one, then I suggest looking into setting up a Windows VM inside Linux for running your Windows software. If you refuse to purchase a Windows license, or if your Linux system is not powerful enough to run Windows in a VM, THEN (and only then), should you start trying to fight with getting your software to run in Wine. Especially since that software, in general, has a pretty poor reputation for compatibility with Wine:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...ation&iId=7309

I understand very well that Linux drives are in this case sda and sdb, using Wine C: is /home/user/.wine/drive_c/. Windows program still understands them as C: and D:.
Installation with Wine was no problem. Problem is to get customer database in a path that FamilyTreeBuilder can find.
P4sblom
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Damn Small Linux Wireless Card Installation Chronothread Linux - Newbie 4 12-06-2008 03:18 AM
Damn Small Lnux Installation problem dinesh_t Linux - Hardware 0 02-04-2007 03:13 AM
LXer: MyHeritage.com marries open, closed, and "shared" source LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-31-2006 05:54 AM
RAID 1, debian, installation small problem TheRudy Debian 1 06-11-2006 10:27 AM
I got a small problem, after installation. Kelphyr Slackware 11 10-04-2004 05:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration