LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
Cory McGraw
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question my password


k, this is my second post.
For me, there are a few sites that requires me to update my Mozilla Firefox web browser, plus I wanted to install Google Chrome.
well i get to the download thing, and that works, but then this comes up when i try to open it: You are attempting to run "system-install-packages" which requires administrative privileges, but more information is needed in order to do so. Authenticating as "root" provide password.
and i do that, it goes away the 2 seconds later: You are attempting to run "system-install-packages" which requires administrative privileges, but more information is needed in order to do so. No matter how many times I do this, it never gets past that.
I am putting in the right password.
I am using Linux Linpus
Help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Cory McGraw; 12-28-2009 at 09:50 AM.
 
Old 12-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
We'll need to know what distribution (version) of Linux you are using. Also, getting the same message might simply mean that you are entering the wrong password.
 
Old 12-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
dreamwalking
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Slackware 14
Posts: 106

Rep: Reputation: 30
You are running Fedora?
Are you sure you are typing the correct password for root? What if you change to root in a terminal and try and install it directly as root?
 
Old 12-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Cory McGraw
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Post root

what is the terminal i see people talking about.
 
Old 12-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
dreamwalking
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Slackware 14
Posts: 106

Rep: Reputation: 30
Ok, so you are using Linpus. Do you know if you're using Gnome or KDE? If you right-click at any point on your screen, do you get a menu? In the menu, there must be an entry that says: xterm or x-terminal-emulator (or Konsole? I think, for KDE). That's your terminal.

Root is the superuser. Root's password is not the same (usually) as the password you use to log in. You normally set this password at some point during the installation.

Maybe you want to check this site for some general tips for linux, esp. the command line.

You can enter in the command line also by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 or F2, etc, up to F6. You get back to the graphic environment with Ctrl-Alt-F7.

You can set root's password by entering in the command line (or a terminal) and typing:
Quote:
sudo su
(user's password - the one you use to login)
passwd
(desired password for root)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
Cory McGraw
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I'm using gnome
 
Old 12-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
Joe of Loath
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Bristol, UK
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Arch.
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalking View Post
Ok, so you are using Linpus. Do you know if you're using Gnome or KDE? If you right-click at any point on your screen, do you get a menu? In the menu, there must be an entry that says: xterm or x-terminal-emulator (or Konsole? I think, for KDE). That's your terminal.

Root is the superuser. Root's password is not the same (usually) as the password you use to log in. You normally set this password at some point during the installation.

Maybe you want to check this site for some general tips for linux, esp. the command line.

You can enter in the command line also by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 or F2, etc, up to F6. You get back to the graphic environment with Ctrl-Alt-F7.

You can set root's password by entering in the command line (or a terminal) and typing:
GUI is F1 on fedora, and I believe F2 on DeLi Linux (although I'm not entirely sure).
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #8
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
Cory;

Please:
1. Do not edit your original post in response to a question---just post the answer.

2. Some of your posts here are hard to connect to questions that have been asked---as appropriate, please quote the question before typing your answer.

Quote:
I'm using gnome
You are answering one of dreamwalking's questions, but you have not reponded to the rest of his suggestions---please try to give complete answers/responses. These one-liners just leave us hanging.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
Cory McGraw
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany View Post
Cory;

Please:
1. Do not edit your original post in response to a question---just post the answer.

2. Some of your posts here are hard to connect to questions that have been asked---as appropriate, please quote the question before typing your answer.

You are answering one of dreamwalking's questions, but you have not reponded to the rest of his suggestions---please try to give complete answers/responses. These one-liners just leave us hanging.
All right then, new problem, I want to download ebooks on to my net book running Linux Linpus with Gnome it says access denied, well can some one help me with default administrator access?
 
Old 12-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
Cory;
1. Please tell us where you are on the original question----as part of this, tell us if any of the advice was useful.

2. I can see how the new question is potentially related, but: When it says "access denied", what is it that you are trying to access? For example, are you trying to download something from a website?

As I said earlier, you really need to provide complete information for us to help you. Example:

Quote:
Running Linpus Linux on a Netbook and accessingk www.superSW.com
When I try to download the new Super-Krumper SW, the site says that access is denied.
I am using Firefox 3.9.7 and I do not have a firewall.
 
Old 12-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
SaintDanBert
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Distribution: Mint-17.1 with Cinnamon & KDE
Posts: 1,478
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 95
... "seeking ROOT password" ... not really

I've found that many times you get a prompt for the "ROOT password" and what they actually want is the password you would type with sudo.
Code:
user@host$ ... do some stuff ...
user@host$ sudo ... something ...
prompt for password: *********
... something runs as super user ...
...
...
user@host$ ... back to normal user ...
Try whatever you would type in place of ******** above instead of whatever your would type to login a root itself.

Worked for me,
~~~ 0;-Dan
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:59 AM   #12
ashok_kxj2009
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Fedora12 root login issue

Hi,
I am posting my issue here because my problem is also similar. I am not able to login as a root. I have Fedora12(with GENOME) running inside a vmware player. I installed from Fedora12 DVD that i purchased from local dealer. It installs fine and i am able to login as a user, but when i try to login as root, it says "authentication failure". In the login screen i click "login as other" then in username gave "root", when it asked for password i gave the root password that i defined at the time of installation. I am sure that the password is correct. To be sure, i reinstalled the Fedora12 with a new carefully selected root password but still the problem continues. Another problem is that if i try to sudo in terminal then it asks for the root password but it doesnt accept the root password, after three tries sudo exits. Another strange thing is that when i install some RPM with pacage manager at that time it accepts the root password. So i am only able to install RPMs and cannot install from source as it requires work as "root" in terminal. Need help.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:01 AM   #13
Joe of Loath
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Bristol, UK
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Arch.
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_kxj2009 View Post
Hi,
I am posting my issue here because my problem is also similar. I am not able to login as a root. I have Fedora12(with GENOME) running inside a vmware player. I installed from Fedora12 DVD that i purchased from local dealer. It installs fine and i am able to login as a user, but when i try to login as root, it says "authentication failure". In the login screen i click "login as other" then in username gave "root", when it asked for password i gave the root password that i defined at the time of installation. I am sure that the password is correct. To be sure, i reinstalled the Fedora12 with a new carefully selected root password but still the problem continues. Another problem is that if i try to sudo in terminal then it asks for the root password but it doesnt accept the root password, after three tries sudo exits. Another strange thing is that when i install some RPM with pacage manager at that time it accepts the root password. So i am only able to install RPMs and cannot install from source as it requires work as "root" in terminal. Need help.
You can't login to gnome as root, it has to be in the terminal. So log into gnome as your regular user. In the terminal, to work as root, type "su", and it'll ask for the root password. It's just a different way of working to other distributions. More secure, but a little hard to grasp

If you want to use the sudo command, add your user to the sudoers folder (/etc/sudoers from memory)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:37 AM   #14
dreamwalking
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Slackware 14
Posts: 106

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_kxj2009 View Post
Another problem is that if i try to sudo in terminal then it asks for the root password but it doesnt accept the root password, after three tries sudo exits.
sudo password = password of current user, provided that current user is listed in the /etc/sudoers file
su password = root password

I don't know if this is different in Fedora, but I would think is isn't.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #15
ashok_kxj2009
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
It worked perfectly.
Thanks for helping me out.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GNOME: Gain privileges using current user's password instead of root's password maxkukartsev Fedora 5 02-10-2012 10:46 AM
simpler GUI password for Administrative tasks while retaining complex user password? workforfood Ubuntu 1 08-29-2009 07:48 AM
How to retrieve( or reset) root password in Mandrake Linux, as I forgot my password? Reghunath Linux - Software 4 05-08-2008 05:11 AM
How can I change e-mail password(or linux account password) with php in website?? yusuf Programming 1 05-28-2004 10:39 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration