LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
dixie t
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
My new mini uses Linux and I can't get on the internet .


New to Linux and can't access the internet with my DSL cable that I use on the other PC with Windows. Modem supports Linux, I'm told. I am able to access inernet with wireless.
 
Old 09-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
ceantuco
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: New Jersey
Distribution: CentOS, Debian, Kali
Posts: 581

Rep: Reputation: 37
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie t View Post
New to Linux and can't access the internet with my DSL cable that I use on the other PC with Windows. Modem supports Linux, I'm told. I am able to access inernet with wireless.
what linux Distro are you using? is there a router connected between your DSL modem and your computer running linux?
 
Old 09-24-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
dixie t
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
No router but I dcn't know what a Distro is. This is a mini computer (Asus eee). The modem support person sad this modem model does support linux. I tried to create a netword using the option DSL and also the option Local Area Network and all I get is Firefox saying Page cannot be displayed. It works fine where there is WiFi. THanks
 
Old 09-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
pinniped
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: planet earth
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,732

Rep: Reputation: 50
You need to tell us a little more about your network:

1. Is your modem a modem/router or does it only have a single connection on your local side (1 ethernet and maybe 1 USB).

2. Does the modem remember your DSL details (user account, password) or does the computer have to supply that?
 
Old 09-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,063

Rep: Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381
We need to know a bit about the topology of your network.

If possible, we need to know the exact model of your modem/router/whatever, that will sort out all the questions about it's capabilities. We need to know how the boxes are connected between them, to a hub, to the modem itself all of them.... A drawing could help if you don't know how to explain a network with words.

If the modem is a modem/router as I suspect, and both boxes are connected to it using a hub in the middle, there's the possibility that the router can't do NAT, in that case, the first box that uses the router (your old box) monopolizes the available IP, and your new one can't connect without an IP, of course. But that's just a shot in the dark, without actually knowing how your network is and how everything fitst together I can only guess. There could be dozens of reasons why it's not working.
 
Old 09-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
dixie t
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
You need to tell us a little more about your network:

1. Is your modem a modem/router or does it only have a single connection on your local side (1 ethernet and maybe 1 USB).

2. Does the modem remember your DSL details (user account, password) or does the computer have to supply that?
I have a phone line connected to the modem and a cable to my laptop. The isp is peoplepc.com DSL. They told me they don't "support" Linux issues which my mini pc uses. It also uses Firefox as a browser and I don't see where a firewall is blocking that. I don't use a password to access the internet. Thank you for trying to help me. DT
 
Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
dixie t
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceantuco View Post
what linux Distro are you using? is there a router connected between your DSL modem and your computer running linux?
My old laptop(Vista) is connected by a phone cable to the modem and a there is no router. My DSL provider said they don't support Linux so they aren't any help. I was told by the modem techs that I could use it with Linux or Win. Thanks
 
Old 09-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
dixie t
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
We need to know a bit about the topology of your network.

If possible, we need to know the exact model of your modem/router/whatever, that will sort out all the questions about it's capabilities. We need to know how the boxes are connected between them, to a hub, to the modem itself all of them.... A drawing could help if you don't know how to explain a network with words.

If the modem is a modem/router as I suspect, and both boxes are connected to it using a hub in the middle, there's the possibility that the router can't do NAT, in that case, the first box that uses the router (your old box) monopolizes the available IP, and your new one can't connect without an IP, of course. But that's just a shot in the dark, without actually knowing how your network is and how everything fitst together I can only guess. There could be dozens of reasons why it's not working.
THe modem is ZyXEL P660R=ppc, a couple of years old. Their tech support said I could uses Linux or Windows OS. There is only a phone line to the modem and the phone line from it to my computer. I just unplugged it form my computer and inserted it into my new mini pc assuming it would access internet but it does not. It works fine if I am somewhere with WiFi but I don't have that here> The internet provider tech said they don't support Linux. I don't understand most of what you asked me but appreciate your help. Thank you
 
Old 09-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,063

Rep: Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie t View Post
My old laptop(Vista) is connected by a phone cable to the modem and a there is no router. My DSL provider said they don't support Linux so they aren't any help. I was told by the modem techs that I could use it with Linux or Win. Thanks
I see. So, in windows, what do you exactly need to do to connect? Does it work out of the box?

This modem should connect directly with a network cable (not a phone one, though they look similar, but they haven't the same pins on the endings).

EDIT: I mean, the phone cable goes to the wall plug, the -similar- net rj45 cable goes to your pc, and should plug into a network card.

Last edited by i92guboj; 09-25-2008 at 09:53 AM.
 
Old 09-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
dixie t
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
We need to know a bit about the topology of your network.

If possible, we need to know the exact model of your modem/router/whatever, that will sort out all the questions about it's capabilities. We need to know how the boxes are connected between them, to a hub, to the modem itself all of them.... A drawing could help if you don't know how to explain a network with words.

If the modem is a modem/router as I suspect, and both boxes are connected to it using a hub in the middle, there's the possibility that the router can't do NAT, in that case, the first box that uses the router (your old box) monopolizes the available IP, and your new one can't connect without an IP, of course. But that's just a shot in the dark, without actually knowing how your network is and how everything fitst together I can only guess. There could be dozens of reasons why it's not working.
Additional information; The new mini computer uses Firefox as the browser, could that be the problem?
 
Old 09-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #11
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,063

Rep: Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie t View Post
THe modem is ZyXEL P660R=ppc, a couple of years old. Their tech support said I could uses Linux or Windows OS. There is only a phone line to the modem and the phone line from it to my computer. I just unplugged it form my computer and inserted it into my new mini pc assuming it would access internet but it does not. It works fine if I am somewhere with WiFi but I don't have that here> The internet provider tech said they don't support Linux. I don't understand most of what you asked me but appreciate your help. Thank you
Right, that's what I needed to know.

We need to know the distribution that you use so we can give more fine-grained help. But in the while, try to do this:
  1. open a root terminal, there should be an option for that on your menus or something, you will need the root password for that probably, if you need it and you haven't installed your own linux, then the person who did or your vendor should have given you one (check manuals, etc.).
  2. there write "ifconfig", press enter, and paste the output here so we can review your network devices

Don't be afraid to ask if you need more detailed explanations. But try to check your logos, manuals and everything and see if you can give us details on the linux flavor (distro, distribution) that you use.

Last edited by i92guboj; 09-25-2008 at 10:01 AM.
 
Old 09-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,063

Rep: Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie t View Post
Additional information; The new mini computer uses Firefox as the browser, could that be the problem?
No, I don't think so. The problem must be somewhere in your network configuration.
 
Old 09-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #13
pinniped
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: planet earth
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,732

Rep: Reputation: 50
Just adding to what i92guboj posted, you can try this as root:

ifconfig eth0 up 0.0.0.0
dhclient eth0

If that connects then all you need to do is set up your networking tools - unfortunately we can't tell you how until we know what distribution of Linux you use - everyone sets up the network in a slightly different way.
 
Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #14
AuroraCA
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: Northern CA USA
Distribution: Ubuntu, Slackware, Gentoo, Fedora, Red Hat, Puppy Linux
Posts: 370

Rep: Reputation: 35
Early versions of the ASUS eee which were sold at WalMart use the GOS which is basically Ubuntu with modifications to enhance a Gadgets interface.

The current ASUS eee systems are listed as using simply GNU Linux.
 
Old 09-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
dasy2k1
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: 127.0.0.1
Distribution: Ubuntu 12.04 X86_64
Posts: 958

Rep: Reputation: 35
EEEs AFAIK use a hevially modified version of mandriva
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mini-mini live distro. BaptismOfFire Linux - Distributions 2 04-25-2007 06:51 AM
Considering Mac Mini for people who use computer for simple internet use linux-rulz Other *NIX 3 01-16-2005 07:38 AM
connecting to the internet via wireless through Intel PRo/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini P k_wjss Linux - Newbie 1 09-28-2004 06:00 PM
Connecting to the internet via Intel PRo/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter k_wjss Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 09-23-2004 06:40 AM
Mini Linux??? shaffin Slackware 4 09-25-2003 02:40 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration