LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #16
frazelle09
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Mexicali, Baja California, México
Distribution: PCLinuxOS 2016 - 64bit on four machines, including a laptop.
Posts: 113

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15

Oh, i just figured it out. i can check /here and /there. Well, both them are about the same. One holds the users that i created when i installed the new OS (frazelle09 and linda) and the other one holds the users that i created after sda7 was finally set up as /home. None of the frazelle09 users have the folders and files. Most of the folders are empty.

Warmest greetings,
]
edit> This is from the PC Control Center/Manage Partitions page

Code:
Device: sda7
Type: Journalised FS: ext4
Size: 113GB (48%)
Mounted
Which is why i believe that the files are still on there, even though the df command produces

Code:
df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       953M  719M  235M  76% /
/dev/sda5       114G  7.8G  101G   8% /mnt/here
/dev/sda7       112G  4.1G  108G   4% /mnt/there

Last edited by frazelle09; 12-17-2014 at 07:27 PM. Reason: add info
 
Old 12-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #17
astrogeek
Moderator
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Distribution: Slackware [64]-X.{0|1|2|37|-current} ::12<=X<=14, FreeBSD_10{.0|.1|.2}
Posts: 4,270
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304
Back for as long as a cup of tea lasts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazelle09 View Post
astrogeek, here's the result of some commands i ran as Live CD/root

Code:
mkdir -p /mnt/here /mnt/there /mnt/usb
[root@localhost root]# mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/here
[root@localhost root]# mount /dev/sda7 /mnt/there
[root@localhost root]# cat /mnt/here/etc/base-iso
Installation iso: pclinuxos64-kde-2014.08
Installation date:  2014-12-16
[root@localhost root]# ls -l /mnt/here/home
total 12
drwx------ 26   501  502 4096 Dec 17 01:33 frazelle09/
drwxr-xr-x 22 guest  500 4096 Dec 16 21:40 linda/
drwxr-xr-x  6 root  root 4096 Jun 15  2012 mysql/
[root@localhost root]# ls -l /mnt/there
total 28
drwx------ 19 guest  500  4096 Dec 17 02:41 frazelle09/
drwx------ 48   501  502  4096 Dec 17  2014 guest/
drwx------  2 root  root 16384 Oct  7  2010 lost+found/
drwxr-xr-x  7 root  root  4096 Jun  8  2011 mysql/
i thought it might be a little safer like this. What should i do to bring up the directories/partitions on the hard disk?

Have a great evening!
So, the above are the results of mounting while booted from a live CD, that is good.

In these listings the linda user appears for the first time, there is no guest on sda5 and the frizelle09 directory is now owned by guest... but we have no UIDs for them. We are kind of chasing our tails because the original assumptions were not valid (sda5, sda7 uses and mount points).

But what we must do has not changed, so here are the things that we MUST do, in this order to get you going.

1. Verify the files you want are still there on sda7.
2. Unambiguously identify the UID/GID of those files.
3. Create or Set UID/GID/users on new system to correspond to original partition.
4. All done...

So it is easy and fast, but we must do each thing explicitly and NOT change conditions between steps...

So, step 1 - lets actually verify what is on sda7 - and lets do it from live CD boot as our point of reference...

Code:
mkdir /mnt/there
mount /dev/sda7 /mnt/there

#Get unambiguous UID of original users/owners - post this to forum
ls -n /mnt/there
#Look inside each subdirectory to satisfy yourself that your files are there - post small sample to confirm UIDs 
ls -n /mnt/there/frazelle09/
ls -n /mnt/there/guest/
When you are happy with this and post the results, we will go to step 2.

Last edited by astrogeek; 12-17-2014 at 10:17 PM.
 
Old 12-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #18
frazelle09
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Mexicali, Baja California, México
Distribution: PCLinuxOS 2016 - 64bit on four machines, including a laptop.
Posts: 113

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thank you for posting and helping and i hope you enjoy your tea!

Code:
root@localhost root]# ls -n /mnt/there
total 28
drwx------ 19 500 500  4096 Dec 17 02:41 frazelle09/
drwx------ 48 501 502  4096 Dec 17 16:07 guest/
drwx------  2   0   0 16384 Oct  7  2010 lost+found/
drwxr-xr-x  7   0   0  4096 Jun  8  2011 mysql/
As you can see from the below post, only guest has folders in Spanish. frazelle09 does not.

Code:
# ls -n /mnt/there/frazelle09/
total 36
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Aug 11 21:08 Desktop/
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Jun 15  2012 Documents/
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Jun 15  2012 Downloads/
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Jun 15  2012 Movies/
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Jun 15  2012 Music/
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Jun 15  2012 Pictures/
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Dec 17 02:37 Templates/
drwxr-xr-x 6 500 500 4096 Dec 17 02:38 tmp/
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Dec 17 02:37 Videos/
[root@localhost root]# ls -n /mnt/there/guest/
total 68
drwxr-xr-x  2 501 502 4096 Dec  5 19:43 Descargas/
drwxr--r--  3 501 502 4096 Aug 11 21:08 Desktop/
drwxr-xr-x  2 501 502 4096 Oct 23 13:04 Documentos/
drwxr-xr-x  2 501 502 4096 Jun 15  2012 Documents/
drwxr-xr-x  2 501 502 4096 Jun 15  2012 Downloads/
drwxr-xr-x  2 501 502 4096 Oct 23 14:29 Escritorio/
-rw-r--r--  1 501 502  751 Sep 17 20:57 getLOdictionary.txt
drwxr-xr-x  2 501 502 4096 Oct 23 13:04 Imágenes/
-rw-r--r--  1 501 502  485 Oct 23 11:33 LibreOffice_Info.txt
drwx------  2 501 502 4096 Jun 15  2012 Movies/
drwxr-xr-x  2 501 502 4096 Jun 15  2012 Music/
drwxr-xr-x  2 501 502 4096 Oct 23 13:04 Música/ 
-rw-r--r--  1 501 502 1034 Aug 23  2011 OpenDNS_howto.txt
drwxr-xr-x  2 501 502 4096 Jun 15  2012 Pictures/
drwxr-xr-x  2 501 502 4096 Oct 23 13:04 Plantillas/
drwx------ 38 501 502 4096 Dec 17 16:07 tmp/
drwxr-xr-x  2 501 502 4096 Oct 23 13:04 Vídeos/
What is strange is that some of the folders on frazelle09 are from 2012, but their corresponding Spanish folders are not there, i.e. Music/ vs. /Musica

Therefore we do not have all of the folders and files - yet.

Have a beautiful evening and thanks for tonight!
 
Old 12-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #19
astrogeek
Moderator
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Distribution: Slackware [64]-X.{0|1|2|37|-current} ::12<=X<=14, FreeBSD_10{.0|.1|.2}
Posts: 4,270
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304
You are welcome, sorry this takes so long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazelle09 View Post
Thank you for posting and helping and i hope you enjoy your tea!

Code:
root@localhost root]# ls -n /mnt/there
total 28
drwx------ 19 500 500  4096 Dec 17 02:41 frazelle09/
drwx------ 48 501 502  4096 Dec 17 16:07 guest/
drwx------  2   0   0 16384 Oct  7  2010 lost+found/
drwxr-xr-x  7   0   0  4096 Jun  8  2011 mysql/
As you can see from the below post, only guest has folders in Spanish. frazelle09 does not.

Code:
# ls -n /mnt/there/frazelle09/
total 36
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Aug 11 21:08 Desktop/
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Jun 15  2012 Documents/
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Jun 15  2012 Downloads/
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Jun 15  2012 Movies/
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Jun 15  2012 Music/
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Jun 15  2012 Pictures/
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Dec 17 02:37 Templates/
drwxr-xr-x 6 500 500 4096 Dec 17 02:38 tmp/
drwxr-xr-x 2 500 500 4096 Dec 17 02:37 Videos/
...
What is strange is that some of the folders on frazelle09 are from 2012, but their corresponding Spanish folders are not there, i.e. Music/ vs. /Musica

Therefore we do not have all of the folders and files - yet.

Have a beautiful evening and thanks for tonight!
Yea, I see that (of course I have no way of knowing what was originally there, but you seem a reliable witness!).

But they are definitely not there now.

You created the newfrazelle09 user on the new system with sda7 mounted as home, if I understood previous posts correctly. And we see some subdirectories with a Dec 17 timestamp. Doing that with useradd would not remove any pre-existing directories, although I do not know the behavior or options of PCC utilities if they were used.

Did you delete that user at any time on the new system?

Lets see if there are any hidden directories under frazelle09...

Code:
(mounts as before...)

ls -al /mnt/there/frazelle09/
Post that output here please.

EDIT *** Also, are you certain that the Spanish named directories under guest are not actualy what you thought was under frazelle09? Could you look inside any of the guest subdirectories and determine that they definitely do or do not contain what had been under frazelle09?

Is it possible that you renamed them at some point? Just trying to cover all bases...

Last edited by astrogeek; 12-17-2014 at 10:49 PM.
 
Old 12-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #20
frazelle09
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Mexicali, Baja California, México
Distribution: PCLinuxOS 2016 - 64bit on four machines, including a laptop.
Posts: 113

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Do not worry about taking a long time. My wife finally figured out how to turn in her student's grades and...

Better to take our time and be sure than wipe out - lol.

Code:
[root@localhost root]# ls -al /mnt/there/frazelle09/
total 284
drwx------ 19 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:41 ./
drwxr-xr-x  6 root  root   4096 Dec 17 02:36 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 guest  500     24 Oct 15 04:20 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r--  1 guest  500    192 Jun 15  2012 .bash_profile
-rw-r--r--  1 guest  500    457 Aug 11 21:08 .bashrc
drwx------  3 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:38 .cache/
drwxr-xr-x  8 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:40 .config/
drwx------  3 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:37 .dbus/
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Aug 11 21:08 Desktop/
-rw-------  1 guest  500     26 Dec 17 02:37 .dmrc
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Jun 15  2012 Documents/
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Jun 15  2012 Downloads/
-rw-------  1 guest  500     16 Dec 17 02:37 .esd_auth
drwxr-xr-x  4 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:37 .gconf/
drwx------  3 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:37 .gnupg/
-rw-rw-r--  1 guest  500    162 Dec 17 02:37 .gtk-bookmarks
-rw-r--r--  1 guest  500    252 Jun 15  2012 .gtkrc-2.0
drwxr-xr-x  4 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:38 .kde4/
drwxr-xr-x  3 guest  500   4096 Aug 11 21:08 .local/
-rw-rw-r--  1 guest  500      0 Dec 17 02:37 .mdk-menu-migrated
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Jun 15  2012 Movies/
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Jun 15  2012 Music/
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Jun 15  2012 Pictures/
drwx------  2 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:37 .pulse/
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:37 Templates/
drwxr-xr-x  6 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:38 tmp/
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:37 Videos/
-rw-------  1 guest  500      0 Dec 17 02:41 .Xauthority
-rw-r--r--  1 guest  500   1897 Jun 15  2012 .xbindkeysrc
-rw-------  1 guest  500 174230 Dec 17 02:56 .xsession-errors
You asked two questions:

1. Yes, before assigning sda7 to /home through the Control Center/partitions, i used the same GUI in the Users area to delete both frazelle09 and guest.

2. Yes, i'm pretty sure that what we are looking at as user/guest is user/guest from the Old install. It was never very large and was used mainly by -- guests - lol - at our house. The Old user/frazelle09/linda had many more folders, one of which was Escritorio (Desktop).

Have a happy evening! Thanks again for being so patient.
 
Old 12-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #21
astrogeek
Moderator
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Distribution: Slackware [64]-X.{0|1|2|37|-current} ::12<=X<=14, FreeBSD_10{.0|.1|.2}
Posts: 4,270
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazelle09 View Post
Do not worry about taking a long time. My wife finally figured out how to turn in her student's grades and...

Better to take our time and be sure than wipe out - lol.

Code:
[root@localhost root]# ls -al /mnt/there/frazelle09/
total 284
drwx------ 19 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:41 ./
drwxr-xr-x  6 root  root   4096 Dec 17 02:36 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 guest  500     24 Oct 15 04:20 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r--  1 guest  500    192 Jun 15  2012 .bash_profile
-rw-r--r--  1 guest  500    457 Aug 11 21:08 .bashrc
drwx------  3 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:38 .cache/
drwxr-xr-x  8 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:40 .config/
drwx------  3 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:37 .dbus/
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Aug 11 21:08 Desktop/
-rw-------  1 guest  500     26 Dec 17 02:37 .dmrc
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Jun 15  2012 Documents/
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Jun 15  2012 Downloads/
-rw-------  1 guest  500     16 Dec 17 02:37 .esd_auth
drwxr-xr-x  4 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:37 .gconf/
drwx------  3 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:37 .gnupg/
-rw-rw-r--  1 guest  500    162 Dec 17 02:37 .gtk-bookmarks
-rw-r--r--  1 guest  500    252 Jun 15  2012 .gtkrc-2.0
drwxr-xr-x  4 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:38 .kde4/
drwxr-xr-x  3 guest  500   4096 Aug 11 21:08 .local/
-rw-rw-r--  1 guest  500      0 Dec 17 02:37 .mdk-menu-migrated
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Jun 15  2012 Movies/
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Jun 15  2012 Music/
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Jun 15  2012 Pictures/
drwx------  2 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:37 .pulse/
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:37 Templates/
drwxr-xr-x  6 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:38 tmp/
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest  500   4096 Dec 17 02:37 Videos/
-rw-------  1 guest  500      0 Dec 17 02:41 .Xauthority
-rw-r--r--  1 guest  500   1897 Jun 15  2012 .xbindkeysrc
-rw-------  1 guest  500 174230 Dec 17 02:56 .xsession-errors
You asked two questions:

1. Yes, before assigning sda7 to /home through the Control Center/partitions, i used the same GUI in the Users area to delete both frazelle09 and guest.

2. Yes, i'm pretty sure that what we are looking at as user/guest is user/guest from the Old install. It was never very large and was used mainly by -- guests - lol - at our house. The Old user/frazelle09/linda had many more folders, one of which was Escritorio (Desktop).

Have a happy evening! Thanks again for being so patient.
Thanks for the additional listings.

So are you saying there should also be a linda/ directory on sda7? Or tha there should be a linda directory under the frazelle09 directory? I am a little confused by the linda user as it has shown up later in the process here (I have a sister of the same name and she always confused me too! ).

I must step away briefly but will review the thread from the start when I return to make a best guess what to do next. But at this point I am beginning to think that what you are looking for is no longer there... back in a bit!
 
Old 12-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #22
frazelle09
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Mexicali, Baja California, México
Distribution: PCLinuxOS 2016 - 64bit on four machines, including a laptop.
Posts: 113

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Well, i'm a little confused, too. Usually when i set these machines up, i create a user: frazelle09 plus password, so i think that's the one we are looking for. Since it's a little late now, i can't remember if i created user:linda on the new install or if we had another user:linda on the Old install.

Anyway, i'll go take a break, too and see you later on tonight, if you come back.

 
Old 12-18-2014, 12:29 AM   #23
astrogeek
Moderator
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Distribution: Slackware [64]-X.{0|1|2|37|-current} ::12<=X<=14, FreeBSD_10{.0|.1|.2}
Posts: 4,270
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazelle09 View Post
Well, i'm a little confused, too. Usually when i set these machines up, i create a user: frazelle09 plus password, so i think that's the one we are looking for. Since it's a little late now, i can't remember if i created user:linda on the new install or if we had another user:linda on the Old install.

Anyway, i'll go take a break, too and see you later on tonight, if you come back.

Ok, thanks for the comments. I am going to ignore the linda user for the moment (tell her nothing personal!) and comb back through what we know to this point, to see where that leads us...

From your original post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazelle09 View Post
So, i went into the Control Center/disks/partitions and assigned sda7 to /home and checked the box to Not copy over the newly created users.

Now, i can boot into root but the boot menu still offers me the newly created users and they don't work anymore - of course so the only one on the menu that works is root. i can go into the file system as root with the file manager Krusader and see, under /home, my Old users (frazelle09 and guest) and their files.
So the Control Center would have added the /dev/sda7 /home line to fstab. Your new users could not access the directories because the UIDs were different even though the home directory names were the same.

You say that you can see the old users and their files, so I will take it that you actually looked inside those directories with Krusader and are sure they were there.

Now the important point is that as of now, sda7 is mounted under /home...

In my first post I mentioned...
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeek View Post
As root, unmount the old /home (sda7) for safety, then...
...which I assumed in subsequent posts, but then in post #4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazelle09 View Post
Well, i've been able to create user frazelle09 on sda7 (/home) but i just created a new account with GID 500 and did not connect to the old one (which i hope is still there). i was able to recreate the other user account "guest" and do see the old folders and files, including the hidden ones, so at least some of the stuff is still there, although not what we are looking for.

i think i set up user frazelle09 incorrectly, perhaps with the wrong username and/or password. Should i just delete that account or go into PCC Control Center and change the information, leaving the GID alone?
So this was done with sda7 mounted, I presume with the Control Center. I think that at this point the PCC utility must have removed the original files for /home/frazelle09. The 2012 dates are a little confusing, but I can imagine that PCC may have "reset" to some pre-defined structure:

* Removed all directories not in the skeleton list (the Spanish named directories)
* Created new ones that were not present (the Dec 17 directories)
* Left those already there (the 2012 directories)

That is the only reason I can see why there are some 2012 dates same as in the guest, but also some current dates and other missing directories.

FWIW - useradd will not do that, it will only create the new directory structure if one does not exists and will never remove others. One reason I never use GUI config tools, kind of unpredictable and unknowable in the overall scheme of things.

Then the next time we look inside the sda7 partition, it confirms that they are gone (judging by hard link count, 19/48)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazelle09 View Post
Code:
$ su
Password: 
[root@localhost guest]# mkdir /mntsda7
[root@localhost guest]# mount /dev/sda7 /mntsda7
[root@localhost guest]# ls -l /home
total 28
drwx------ 19 frazelle09 frazelle09  4096 Dec 17 00:41 frazelle09/
drwx------ 48 guest      guest       4096 Dec 17 12:14 guest/
drwx------  2 root       root       16384 Oct  7  2010 lost+found/
drwxr-xr-x  7 root       root        4096 Jun  8  2011 mysql/
[root@localhost guest]# ls -n /home
total 28
drwx------ 19 500 500  4096 Dec 17 00:41 frazelle09/
drwx------ 48 501 502  4096 Dec 17 12:14 guest/
drwx------  2   0   0 16384 Oct  7  2010 lost+found/
drwxr-xr-x  7   0   0  4096 Jun  8  2011 mysql/
Unfortunately, as far as i can tell, the "new" frazelle09 does not give me access to the "Old" frazelle09 folders and files - it seems to have created a "new" user with just the basic folders and files...
And I think we can assume there are no backups...

At this point I think you need to decide whether the data on that partition is important enough to put some effort into recovering it, or whether you just take your lumps, hope Linda is very forgiving and try to move along.

Recovery would not be straight forward and probably not 100% successful because the partition has been mounted and written to since the files were deleted. But if you want to try it is important to unmount that partition and not write to it from this point forward. One tool frequently discussed here on LQ is photorec, and there are others, so there are many threads here to help with that. I have never had to use any of them so cannot offer personal experience.

I will be here through the rest of the evening for moral support and any additional help I can offer, but I think this is your current position - please don't shoot the messenger!
 
Old 12-18-2014, 01:05 AM   #24
frazelle09
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Mexicali, Baja California, México
Distribution: PCLinuxOS 2016 - 64bit on four machines, including a laptop.
Posts: 113

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
lol - thanks for the analysis. i was afraid i'd have to resort to some low level recovery of some sort. To answer your question, yes, we need to get back at least her "important" files.

Since i'm still running as Live CD we're not writing to any of the computer's hd partitions at this point.

The messenger did an outstanding job. Go to bed and have a beautiful evening.

Thanks a lot!
 
Old 12-18-2014, 01:28 AM   #25
astrogeek
Moderator
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Distribution: Slackware [64]-X.{0|1|2|37|-current} ::12<=X<=14, FreeBSD_10{.0|.1|.2}
Posts: 4,270
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazelle09 View Post
lol - thanks for the analysis. i was afraid i'd have to resort to some low level recovery of some sort. To answer your question, yes, we need to get back at least her "important" files.

Since i'm still running as Live CD we're not writing to any of the computer's hd partitions at this point.

The messenger did an outstanding job. Go to bed and have a beautiful evening.

Thanks a lot!
You are welcome! Sorry to arrive at this point in the end...

Since the partition itself is intact and you are (mostly) just trying to recover deleted files you will probably have pretty good success based on my following of many such discussions. The "mostly" part is because any parts of deleted files overwritten when the new directories were created will probably not be fully recoverable. But that should be minimal compared to the number of files that were there and the fact that the new users never actually accessed the home directories.

I would suggest opening a new thread describing briefly that the files were deleted and possibly partially overwritten, but that the partition table has not been altered, and see who has your answers!

I would also suggest that you make a bunary copy of the partition to another drive (using dd) and recover from the copy. Expect those who know recovery to be able to tell you exactly how to do that as well.

Good luck! I'll try to follow along as your saga continues!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fedora 20 - Expand /home partition and shrink Win8 partition lolzies Linux - Hardware 1 07-12-2014 10:40 AM
Is there any benefit of making a separate partition for home, root and boot partition Vexe Linux - Hardware 18 02-23-2013 11:00 AM
cannot write $(HOME).dmrc file home is on a seperate partition Person_1873 Linux - Newbie 5 12-07-2008 01:41 PM
,dmrc problem after moving /home partition to NTFS partition yeehung Linux - Newbie 1 11-14-2007 06:17 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration