LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   my first slackware experience not going so well (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/my-first-slackware-experience-not-going-so-well-4175474259/)

hegira 08-22-2013 05:30 AM

my first slackware experience not going so well
 
I wanted to put slackware64 14 on a laptop using isohybrid. The usb does not have source media on it though, so when I get to part where I have to select source media, I try a dvd with the iso file burned onto it, and I also tried mounting another usb with the media tree on it. When I try the dvd, I get the message saying no slackware cd or dvd is detected. When I try the usb way, it seems I do not have the tree properly placed in that usb stick. I have read many many posts about doing this, but nothing is working. I have a windows computer here with a read and write dvd drive, so I really want to just get the dvd to work. Is it possible that the iso file is just "copied" to the dvd but not "burned", and that is why this is happening? Can someone please help me out, I really want to get this to work. Many thanks in advance --

grail 08-22-2013 05:44 AM

Quote:

Is it possible that the iso file is just "copied" to the dvd but not "burned"
Yes this would be an issue as if only copied to the dvd then it will not prompt the laptop to boot from the disc.

If using Ubuntu (based on your post) simply fire up your software and burn the disc across ( I assume here you downloaded the DVD version and not CD as some times that can give you a hiccup (not always))

hegira 08-22-2013 07:14 AM

Hi Grail. I appreciate the help. This time I used imgburn so I am sure the iso is "burned" to the dvd, and it does detect a slackware disk but it says "cannot install software, complete the following tasks: 1. select source media. 2. blah blah... I know it should be a dvd iso because I used #8 from the list here: http://www.cyberciti.biz/open-source...e-14-download/. Any suggestions?

onebuck 08-22-2013 07:22 AM

Member Response
 
Hi,

Welcome to LQ!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hegira (Post 5013714)
I wanted to put slackware64 14 on a laptop using isohybrid. The usb does not have source media on it though, so when I get to part where I have to select source media, I try a dvd with the iso file burned onto it, and I also tried mounting another usb with the media tree on it. When I try the dvd, I get the message saying no slackware cd or dvd is detected. When I try the usb way, it seems I do not have the tree properly placed in that usb stick. I have read many many posts about doing this, but nothing is working. I have a windows computer here with a read and write dvd drive, so I really want to just get the dvd to work. Is it possible that the iso file is just "copied" to the dvd but not "burned", and that is why this is happening? Can someone please help me out, I really want to get this to work. Many thanks in advance --

You should first verify the downloaded ISO image md5sum;
Quote:

-- MD5SUM:
M$Windows iso md5sum checking <- LQ Post on how too
md5sum.exe <- M$Win Application to perform md5sum checking.
winMd5Sum Portable <- FREE + Good for all M$ Windows
EDIT: For Gnu/Linux md5sum, please read 'man md5sum'to get the scope of use.

You can use several techniques to burn the valid ISO image to DVD;
Quote:

M$Windows:
Windows Burn tutorial <- 'Nero' Live Video for the newbies who burn the iso instead of the image of the iso.
Imgburn <- 'ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit!' + Freeware
Linux:

Burn:
DVD-Authoring with Linux <- By Rainer Jochem
ISO, CDR, and CDRW media in Linux <- Techniques for media use & how to accomplish it!
CdromMd5sumsAfterBurning <- 'Describes some ways to check the validity of a burnt CD, either via the md5sum or via cmp (compare)'.
cdparanoia.SlackBuild rworkman's <- 'Cdparanoia is a Compact Disc Digital Audio (CDDA) extraction tool, commonly known on the net as a 'ripper'.'
Good no burn techniques;
Quote:

NoBurn:
Mount ISO image under Linux <- Mount ISO using the loop device
SlackwareŽ 12 installation with the ISOs but without burning them! <- Janux_NET
As for the USB install, you should be using Slackware's USB install text as a guide;Simply, you could use by mounting to a loop device for the ISO or you could just mount the DVD on your local disk then provide the mount point during install.

All the above links are from SlackwareŽ-Links section Media burning. More than just Slackware links!

Hope this helps.

onebuck 08-22-2013 07:27 AM

Member Response
 
Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by hegira (Post 5013755)
Hi Grail. I appreciate the help. This time I used imgburn so I am sure the iso is "burned" to the dvd, and it does detect a slackware disk but it says "cannot install software, complete the following tasks: 1. select source media. 2. blah blah... I know it should be a dvd iso because I used #8 from the list here: http://www.cyberciti.biz/open-source...e-14-download/. Any suggestions?

I rely on;
Quote:

Get Slack <- SlackwareŽ Linux Project Referenced mirrors

hegira 08-22-2013 07:42 AM

I am starting to think this is an issue with the cd/dvd drive on this laptop. I decided I will go ahead to try to mount the iso image suggested in one of onebuck's quotes. I went to the link in the quote and looked over it. I think I understand the commands, but can I just use any medium to actually put the ido on the computer -- I mean can I just use a second usb with the source media iso just copied to it? When I try this I get message:

mount: can't find slackware-14.0-source-dvd.iso in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

This makes me think I need to put the iso image into one of those directories -- is that what I should do? I will try to put the iso image from the usb to /etc/fstab I guess?

Kruppt 08-22-2013 07:43 AM

Read these two posts
Posted on the slackware Usenet group
in the thread "Slack 14.0 CD won't load"

The two responses that are of interest below:
http://tinyurl.com/kru4eav
http://tinyurl.com/kxr79va
http://tinyurl.com/n89jc3u

onebuck 08-22-2013 09:01 AM

Member Response
 
Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by hegira (Post 5013770)
I am starting to think this is an issue with the cd/dvd drive on this laptop. I decided I will go ahead to try to mount the iso image suggested in one of onebuck's quotes. I went to the link in the quote and looked over it. I think I understand the commands, but can I just use any medium to actually put the ido on the computer -- I mean can I just use a second usb with the source media iso just copied to it? When I try this I get message:

mount: can't find slackware-14.0-source-dvd.iso in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

This makes me think I need to put the iso image into one of those directories -- is that what I should do? I will try to put the iso image from the usb to /etc/fstab I guess?

Looks like you are not mounting to loop device as suggested by Mount ISO image under Linux
Quote:

Procedure to mount ISO images under Linux

1) You must login as a root user, if not root user then switch to root user using following command:
$ su -
2) Create the directory i.e. mount point:
# mkdir -p /mnt/disk
3) Use mount command as follows to mount iso file called disk1.iso:
# mount -o loop disk1.iso /mnt/disk
4) Change directory to list files stored inside an ISO image:
# cd /mnt/disk
# ls -l
If you want to copy the ISO to a local media then mount to a mount point then copy the ISO content to the media then create a local mount point by 'mkdir /your_mount_point' then use 'mount /your_local media_copy of_ISO /your_mount_point'. Then point to '/your_mount_point/slackware64' when the installer requests location.

Hope this helps.

hegira 08-22-2013 10:02 AM

Hi everyone. Thanks for your patience. I live in china so its late for me. I will have to crash soon and get back to it tormorrow.

hegira 08-22-2013 05:36 PM

Onebuck, here is exactly what I did:

I don't have to log in as root as I am already root.

I type:

mkdir -p /mnt/disk

So far no problem. But then wen I type:

mount -o loop slackware-14.0-source-dvd.iso /mnt/disk

I get the message:

mount: can't find slackware-14.0-source-dvd.iso in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

What am I missing here? I am replacing "disk1.iso" with the correct thing arent I?

GazL 08-22-2013 05:51 PM

If you're trying to install you want the slackware-14.0-install-dvd.iso not the 'source' one.

MCMLXXIII 08-22-2013 06:38 PM

Since you mentioned that you're trying this from a Windows computer, Alien Bob's USB install guide for Windows users should get a proper look. Best of luck!

hegira 08-22-2013 09:54 PM

I am not installing this on a windows computer. I was just saying that I have one available with read and write dvd drive, so I was hoping to just get this done with a dvd. Bu tevery time I try the dvd when I get to the point where it is time to select source media, it detects the dvd, but then it goes to a message that says:

Quote:

CANNOT INSTALL SOFTWARE YET

Before installing software, complete the following tasks:

1. Select source media.
2. Set up your target Linux partition(s).
3. Select which software categories to install.
Does anyone know why it keeps bringing me to this page. It seems wrong because the way I get their is by selecting source media, and then it tells me to first select source media!? :/

hegira 08-22-2013 09:59 PM

GazL, I used isohybrid to install with usb, so I have gotten past the partitioning part, and now it is asking me to select source media. Do I also need the install iso for this part?

MCMLXXIII 08-22-2013 10:30 PM

Apologies for the misunderstanding. I was under the impression you were doing this from a Windows machine.

Try this USB method:

This assumes you already have a Slackware 14 iso downloaded to your computer.

Open a terminal and type the following commands:

Quote:

isohybrid slackware64-14.0-install-dvd.iso
<--- This might take awhile to process, so be patient and let it do its thing. Once that's finished, proceed to the next step.

As root, type this command, but before you do, make sure the USB drive is NOT mounted:

Quote:

dd if=slackware64-14.0-install-dvd.iso of=/dev/sdX
<--- Point the if= to the proper directory where the Slackware iso is located (in my case /home/anonz/Downloads/slackware64-14.0-install-dvd.iso) and then replace sdX with whatever drive letter your fdisk -l outputs. In my case the USB drive is recognized as /dev/sdb.

Now you have a full Slackware USB install ready to be booted.

Before you type setup at the prompt, double-check your USB drive letter by typing as root fdisk -l. Once you know the exact drive letter, proceed with typing setup and when you're prompted to choose your source media, pick Install from a Slackware CD or DVD then select manual and then custom. Then you'll want to type the name of your drive shown by fdisk -l output as mentioned above. So if your fdisk -l output is /dev/sdb1, then that's what you'll enter, and the installation should continue from there.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.