After trialling linux on my pc that i hardly ever use, ive now gone and made the jump to install it on my laptop that i use religiously (dual booting at least until i get over my teething problems)
Theres quite a few questions i have though, that i'm sure many would be able to provide a simple answer. I figured instead of flooding this board with threads, i'd keep em all together. Just quote the part that contains the question you're answering
Thanks again (i found alot of help setting up a few things last time, which is why im back)
I'm using kubuntu so everyone knows.....
1. Kaffeine doesnt play wmv/avi's (in fact i dont know what it does actually play) - how do i fix this? do i need to install codecs or something? if so where do i find these? i've tried updating xine but it didnt make a difference (in fact i'm not sure my installation was effective at all.
update - it now plays everything except for mpg
2. P2P program? whats a good p2p program to replace limewire from windows?
Solved this one. ended up getting limewire working. Thanks.
[/I] 3. Msn messenger? Kopete is alright, but is there any msn messenger alternative that people would recommend?
4. Dual booting - accessing linux drives from windows. Atm i cant... this is probably abit more complicated, but can anyone get me steered in the right direction? (i can access windows drives from linux thanks to help in another thread on this forum)
5. Currently using wireless assistant Lan Manager 0.5.5 to connect to my home network: a) is there any way of making it start and connect automatically? b) is there any better alternative that has more options? although i havent tried yet, i dont think it will work on my university network as their settings are much more detailed than those on my home network (involves entering "credentials - username/pass)
6. Any torrent programs better than KTorrent? (not that ktorrent is bad...)
7. laptop mouse/touch pad - in windows synaptic driver there is an option to allow the auto scroll to "coast" (i think thats wat they called it - automatically keep scrolling when i reach the bottom edge of the touch pad whilst scrolling). is there anyway to do this in linux?
at this stage thats pretty much it.... thanks for taking the time to read