ok so first i'd like to thank everybody who's tried to solve that one, i am glad at least you seem to be exchanging useful info for your own enlightenment.
the config thing wasn't working in normal mode, so i tried in sudo, i entered my password, and then?? i don't seem to get any messages back in that mode when i enter a command, i.e. nothing happens.
another dispaired attempt after that bit of frustration and i tried a wired connection to my modem: 2 good news:
- network manager reappeared and is now staying
- i can connect to the internet via wire
about network manager:
- networkmanager applet 0.6.4 from gnome.com. i saw they now have applet 0.8 which i tried to download but it comes in little packets and i don't even understand how to unpack it.
- i can never scan for a network, i have to know the name, but i assume the newer version can do that
- so while i try and use the 0.6.4 interface, i can try and set up a new wireless connection by name, but none work (neither my own network, nor the neighbour's which is unsecured
, i.e. the networks are never found
in case someone has time to kill, i am happy to hook up on skype and/or screenshare so i can get this baby working. i'd love to be able to use it while working on the field out in africa (NGO), so that would be time killed+good deed on your part,