LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2006, 03:58 PM   #16
manishsingh4u
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Pune, India
Distribution: OpenSUSE 11.0
Posts: 422

Rep: Reputation: 30

Hello SlackHack, your name indicate that you like Slackware. I have downloaded and burnt the CDs for Slackware 10.2. Tried installing it but couldn't get anything to work, not even X or network! Why is it so different from othere? Where can I get a good admin guide for Slackware 10.2? Is it worth replacing my Ubuntu with Slack? What would u suggest?
 
Old 06-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #17
Rollotamasi
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishsingh4u
I guess, you must be using Konqueror. So just click "Run" (Run Command) from the KMenu (Similar to Start button in windows) and type /mnt/windows.
And there you go.
Note - In most KDEs you can also see the "Run" option by right clicking anywhere on the Desktop.
ACtully, im running suse 10.1 with gnome desktop
 
Old 06-13-2006, 04:01 PM   #18
manishsingh4u
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Pune, India
Distribution: OpenSUSE 11.0
Posts: 422

Rep: Reputation: 30
okay, type in the console.
Code:
nautilus /mnt/windows &
There are many other ways to do this. "Run" is available in Gnome too.

Last edited by manishsingh4u; 06-13-2006 at 04:05 PM.
 
Old 06-13-2006, 04:38 PM   #19
Rollotamasi
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishsingh4u
okay, type in the console.
Code:
nautilus /mnt/windows &
There are many other ways to do this. "Run" is available in Gnome too.
Thanks for the help. I think I have it working now. Im not able to mount it to nautilus but Im also not at work anymore so im assumning thats why.

Just a little background on me. I recently had been carrying a powberbook G4 and and HP laptop. Well, I got a Macbook pro with the intel processor so I was then able to run windows XP on it. I was getting ready to ditch the HP laptop but decided to give linux a try to see if it would be worth keeping around.

I have to admit. So far i'm not to impressed. Networking seems VASTLY more difficut then in OS 10 and even windows for that matter. The thing I like most about OS X is all you have to do is plug it in. Once you do that you can browse every avaiable network resource. No setting anything up. No mounting. No nothing. Plug it in and you can access it. After the fiasco I had with trying to access a single share I think my linux adventure is pretty much over. But regardless, I appericate all the help.
 
Old 06-13-2006, 04:48 PM   #20
manishsingh4u
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Pune, India
Distribution: OpenSUSE 11.0
Posts: 422

Rep: Reputation: 30
Well I appreciate that u tried linux. I have used Windows 3.1, 95, 98, NT4, 2000, ME, XP, 2003 Server, LongHorn, (will try Vista soon).
And I have used Radhat Linux 6.2, 7.3, Fedora Core1, Debian 3.1r1, Kubuntu 5.10, SuSE 9.1, Knoppix, SimplyMEPIS, Mandrake 10.1, etc.
Now I am using Ubuntu 5.10 at home and Windows XP SP2 at office. It's true that Windows is user friendly but, that's also true if u learn Linux well, u would find Linux to be more friendlier and configurable than windows. But, u need to be a digger if u wish to use linux. That's the way it is.
 
Old 06-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #21
Rollotamasi
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishsingh4u
Well I appreciate that u tried linux. I have used Windows 3.1, 95, 98, NT4, 2000, ME, XP, 2003 Server, LongHorn, (will try Vista soon).
And I have used Radhat Linux 6.2, 7.3, Fedora Core1, Debian 3.1r1, Kubuntu 5.10, SuSE 9.1, Knoppix, SimplyMEPIS, Mandrake 10.1, etc.
Now I am using Ubuntu 5.10 at home and Windows XP SP2 at office. It's true that Windows is user friendly but, that's also true if u learn Linux well, u would find Linux to be more friendlier and configurable than windows. But, u need to be a digger if u wish to use linux. That's the way it is.

I will definetly admit that linux is a much more customizable system and probably overall more powerfull. I just dont think I can bring myself to give up the ability to go on to any netwrok and seamlessly browse any resource on it. Its just a HUGE time saver.
 
Old 06-13-2006, 05:05 PM   #22
manishsingh4u
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Pune, India
Distribution: OpenSUSE 11.0
Posts: 422

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollotamasi
I just dont think I can bring myself to give up the ability to go on to any netwrok and seamlessly browse any resource on it. Its just a HUGE time saver.
Yes, u r right. For regular PC users, windows is the best choice. I like it too.
 
Old 06-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #23
slackhack
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Distribution: Arch, Debian, Slack
Posts: 1,016

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishsingh4u
Hello SlackHack, your name indicate that you like Slackware. I have downloaded and burnt the CDs for Slackware 10.2. Tried installing it but couldn't get anything to work, not even X or network! Why is it so different from othere? Where can I get a good admin guide for Slackware 10.2? Is it worth replacing my Ubuntu with Slack? What would u suggest?
i would always recommend switching to slack, it's just a great distro. you can find documentation in the slack book http://www.slackbook.org/ . you seem to know what you're doing, so maybe you just had some bad luck with your hardware. give it another try, and ask questions on the forum if you run into any problems again.
 
Old 06-13-2006, 05:28 PM   #24
slackhack
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Distribution: Arch, Debian, Slack
Posts: 1,016

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollotamasi
I will definetly admit that linux is a much more customizable system and probably overall more powerfull. I just dont think I can bring myself to give up the ability to go on to any netwrok and seamlessly browse any resource on it. Its just a HUGE time saver.
seamlessly browse the resources on any network? i'd love to have that capability myself.
 
Old 06-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #25
manishsingh4u
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Pune, India
Distribution: OpenSUSE 11.0
Posts: 422

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackhack
give it another try
I like this line. So, maybe u would see me on Slackware this Saturday. Thanks.
 
Old 06-13-2006, 09:11 PM   #26
Rollotamasi
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackhack
seamlessly browse the resources on any network? i'd love to have that capability myself.

Get Mac OS 10.4 As far as im concerned its the end all be all of "easy" operating system and i hate macs lol
 
Old 06-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #27
slackhack
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Distribution: Arch, Debian, Slack
Posts: 1,016

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollotamasi
Get Mac OS 10.4 As far as im concerned its the end all be all of "easy" operating system and i hate macs lol

i guess you missed the joke.
 
Old 06-13-2006, 09:57 PM   #28
Rollotamasi
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackhack
i guess you missed the joke.
Aye, I did. Sorry. Had to have a few drinks when I got home to recover from my drive mapping adventrue Brain isnt functioning at full.
 
Old 06-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #29
slackhack
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Distribution: Arch, Debian, Slack
Posts: 1,016

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollotamasi
Aye, I did. Sorry. Had to have a few drinks when I got home to recover from my drive mapping adventrue Brain isnt functioning at full.
that's okay, it was a pretty lame one.
 
Old 06-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #30
kf4otn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Posts: 11
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
What if you do all that and you get the error "Could not resolve mount point /mnd/o"? I was trying to mount a network drive to "o"... Any ideas?
 
  


Reply

Tags
fstab


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm trying to "Map network drive" Aubrey-calm Linux - Newbie 12 08-22-2005 08:10 AM
Tried mounting NTFS drive to /home "suse9.1 Personal Ed." scratch09 Linux - Newbie 5 11-11-2004 02:36 PM
USB drive keeps mounting as "read only" I need to write to it. Lossenelin Linux - Hardware 1 02-12-2004 06:49 PM
"ifcfg-ethx" and "network-functions" files peok Linux - Networking 12 08-13-2003 06:06 PM
Mounting windows "c" drive in Linux jsin Linux - Newbie 5 07-28-2003 11:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration