i think you should use suse 9.3 professional.
- very easy to install and to configure with Yast. It is like control panel in windows
ATI or NVIDIA Driver work fine on suse 9.3
- you can play mp3s, real audio out of the box
- you will get a printed admin and user book.
- you will get 1 year installation support from novell
- OpenOffice 2.0Beta is included --> will be updated as soon as possible to final over YOU (Yast Online Update)
- Most things work out of the box. ie. my Canon IXUS 430. Plugged in and it works just fine.
So maybe this will help you to find the right distribution.
I think SUSE is the best distri for beginners and maybe for experts. You can do anything in the GUI but you can do it in the console, too.
I'm using suse since 9.2 and i am very happy with my suse installation.