Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I'm relatively new to the linux world, finally installing the Mandrake 9.1 distro on my box at home, and I've managed to to get everything up and running as I'd like thus far with the exception of midi playback.
Here's the issue, and I'll try to explain this as well as I can without being able to give the specific error or what I've done so far to correct it (because I'm connectionless from home and I'm posting this from a computer lab):
On midi playback, using the kmidi program or the ZSNES emulator, the midi files play, but they are missing alot of the sound. The error in kmidi's dialogue mentions something about "so-and-so patchset not found", or a similar statement. The same sound patches are also the ones that seem to be missing from ZSNES as well.
I've looked on various sites and search engines about this particular problem and I've yet to find anything that clearly lays out what I need to do. I currently have OSS drivers installed and they are functioning properly as far as I can tell. I tested for something else (soundcore I think, or some kind of module for sound) and it was installed and running as well. So I'm really at a loss as to what steps I need to take next to fix my problem.
I am using an ISA Creative Soundblaster AWE32 as my soundcard which I configured using sndconfig.
What you need is a patch set. Go to rpmfind.net and find timidity instruments. After you have download it, run konsole and open Midnight Commander in the session menu. Go to the timidity instruments and copy the files to a directory. Then log in as root and copy or move all the instruments to the patch directory of kmidi. Configure timidity.cfg for the patches. There are example cfg files on timidity site.
Electro: As it turns out, I already had Timidity installed. However, when I run it nothing really a happens... the window begins to open and then just closes. Kmidi no longer can even open a file either... pretty much leaving me with nothing to playback midi's with.
vladkrack: I tried the load the opl3 module but that module didn't exist. *shrug*
On a good note, somewhere along the line my ZSNES midi playback seems to be operating successfully. I'll continue to tinker around with both of the other programs and see what I can do.