I'm 4 days into my Mandrake install and its STILL working (mostly)! last time I tried I locked everything up in 2 days!!
There is already a wealth of web answers to my problems, but I've obviously not getting it, as there are still issues with the way I've installed the nvidia drivers and run sndconfig.
Celeron 433 Mhz
Geforce 4 Ti 4200
96 meg RAM
Mandrake 9.0 (off mag cover discs) - (have ver 10 on pre-order)
I've installed the nvidia drivers "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run" OK as per the many instructions and selected the Geforce4 generic setup version.
I've run sndconfig and picked my sound card OK as console su
and for that session everything was fine no matter who I was logged in as.
The next day when I logged in as a user, the 3D apps (tuxracer, cannon smash etc) didn't work and most other games had no sound.
I used mandrake control center to test the video card, after which the 3D apps started working and I reran sndconfig at which point the sound started working as well.
My guess (equivalent to throwing darts blindfold
) is that something required for initialisation does not have the correct permissions set.
Please could someone let me know where I'm going wrong - I'm all googled out, and am going over the same pages no matter how I phrase the question.