Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Hi ! I am using mandrake 10 beta 1 and My md5sum verison is I think latest and about 5 or 6 .I just downloaded mandrake 10 beta 2 from wget and when I check the md5sum of it .It is showing me different result at each check .For example ;in the first time ,the CD1 ,CD2 were reported corrupt and CD3 was fine .Then in second time it report that CD3 was corrupt but CD1 was fine and in third time all of the download are ok and none FAILED but I lost track of how many time I check but it keep giving different result in each check .What should I do and was it normal?
Were you downloading the file again after each check? If so, then each download was different. If you do it again, and one of the CD's is correct, then don't download it again. Leave it be, and only download the incorrect checksums.
No ,I was I just downloaded once .I was about to download CD1 and CD2 after I checking for the frist time ,but before I deleted the file I run md5sum again .And since then ,I was running md5sum over and over again in same 3 iso image.I never downloaded again,those 3 iso file are the frist one I ever downloaded .I don't know what is going on.I mean I thought md5sum are just simple file with three or more roll of strings in it to check the other file string .what could possible be wrong.
I think I should download again ,I used to download them with bittorrent but in this version of mandrake build python ,it couldn' t load broswer for bittorrent .The download work with bittorrent but when I minmize the bittorrent gui window ,it hang .So I did the download with wget but it strange to see md5sum reporting differently .My experience with iso download was never successful ,even with bittorrent, like all my downloaded iso CD are corrupt .But despite that I use them ,like this one mdk beta1;kdelibcore is corrupt so after I install the OS ,I stay in text mod ,download the frist ISO again and just install the kdelibcore after mounting the ISO in my harddrive ,I don't know what wrong but none of my download are successful .I just want to get it right this time .I should try again .
I wonder if after you downloaded one of the earlier versions, there was an update to the files in the mirror, or if they were not finished downloading at first. To be safe, download the md5sum.asc file again and recheck a final time.
Other then that, I'd say its a good time to stop licking those frogs!
As far as I know there wasn't any update ,not yet ;may be this mandrake bug because after all this is still in beta stage.but amazly ,I am downloading CD1 again from mandrake ,this time from their main site in paris,wget is acting differenly like the progress bar is actually showing like it suppose to be ,the last time in progress the they got an arrow that going back and forth the line and not progressing like it suppose to be .Hope I got it right this time,Apart from that mandrake is really cool and it is improving a lot .