LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Mokoyombi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
MD5 Sum Verification Procedure


I am currently in the process of downloading Zorin OS 6 (32 bit) and would like to know what is the correct procedure to verify the MD5 sum before burning the ISO files to a DVD (or loading to a USB drive). The MD5 Sum is given in the download page, but there is no reference as to how to compare it to the downloaded file(s) or where to find this information. Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated. My experience with operating systems has only been with Windows XP Pro but I'm very interested in switching to Linux for reasons best discussed in my profile... Thank you in advance for your help!
 
Old 07-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
rosehosting.com
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 222

Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokoyombi View Post
I am currently in the process of downloading Zorin OS 6 (32 bit) and would like to know what is the correct procedure to verify the MD5 sum before burning the ISO files to a DVD (or loading to a USB drive). The MD5 Sum is given in the download page, but there is no reference as to how to compare it to the downloaded file(s) or where to find this information. Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated. My experience with operating systems has only been with Windows XP Pro but I'm very interested in switching to Linux for reasons best discussed in my profile... Thank you in advance for your help!

Once you've downloaded the iso image, use the 'md5sum' tool to verify if the hash is the same as the one on the website. For example:

Code:
md5sum /tmp/someiso.iso
d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e  /tmp/someiso.iso
the hexadecimal value is the MD5 hash of the iso image.

hope that helps
 
Old 07-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 6,596

Rep: Reputation: 1880Reputation: 1880Reputation: 1880Reputation: 1880Reputation: 1880Reputation: 1880Reputation: 1880Reputation: 1880Reputation: 1880Reputation: 1880Reputation: 1880
Centos* provide an md5sum.exe here: http://mirror.centos.org/centos/dostools/
You can download that and run it from the command prompt under Windows.

*I just googled it and it was the first site I trust which has the .exe, there may be others and I chose the site because I have more trust in Linux distro official sites than Windows shareware ones.
 
Old 07-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Mokoyombi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosehosting.com View Post
Once you've downloaded the iso image, use the 'md5sum' tool to verify if the hash is the same as the one on the website. For example:

Code:
md5sum /tmp/someiso.iso
d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e  /tmp/someiso.iso
the hexadecimal value is the MD5 hash of the iso image.

hope that helps
Please explain! How do I use the 'md5sum' tool? Where do I find it? How do I compare what I downloaded with the hash on the website? Please keep in mind that I have no knowledge on how to use Linux! Note: I'm downloading Zorin OS6 (32 bit) using a machine running Windows XP.
 
Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
rosehosting.com
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 222

Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokoyombi View Post
Please explain! How do I use the 'md5sum' tool? Where do I find it? How do I compare what I downloaded with the hash on the website? Please keep in mind that I have no knowledge on how to use Linux! Note: I'm downloading Zorin OS6 (32 bit) using a machine running Windows XP.
download the 'md5sum.exe' binary from the url @273 posted above and put it inside your '_windows_/System32' directory. once it's there, fire up command prompt and execute 'md5sum c:\path\to\iso\image.iso'. it will show you the MD5 hash of the iso image.

EDIT: of course change to path to the path where your iso image is located.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No MD5 sum in user password kenneho Linux - Server 2 01-04-2010 02:10 AM
MD5 sum Pedroski Linux - Software 4 12-08-2009 02:17 PM
How to check the MD5 sum Gins Linux - General 12 05-21-2006 11:32 AM
md5 sum incorrect barrythai Fedora 3 10-10-2005 11:59 AM
knoppix and Md5 sum ??? bigjohn Linux - Newbie 10 09-27-2003 11:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration