LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2005, 02:10 AM   #1
SgC.9711
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Posts: 35

Rep: Reputation: 15
Mandrake 10.2 Realtek 8139 Ethernet unable to connect


Hi I'm a Linux newbie seeking help.

Decided to convert from WinXP after getting tired of frequent crashes, viruses and spamware.

Loaded Mandrake 9.0 on Acer 4060 notebook previously. System worked quite ok, but could not use Skype. Upgraded to Mandrake 2005 LE 10.2 to get Skype working. Unfortunately, now connection to internet does not work.

Connection is to a LAN connected to D-Link router with cable broadband.
Ethernet card is Realtek 8139.

If anyone has solution or workaround, please help. Many thanks.

Charlie
 
Old 10-05-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
TigerOC
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Devon, UK
Distribution: Debian Etc/kernel 2.6.18-4K7
Posts: 2,380

Rep: Reputation: 49
Hi SGC and welcome to LQ. I am not familiar with MDK but do know they have network tools so I will try to be generic and hope you can figure out the tools to set it up.
Bring up a consol and as root (enter su and enter the root password) and enter the command (here after referred to as "do") ifconfig. Hopefully you should get 2 devices lo and eth0. If you don't get eth0 then it hasn't recognised the card and configured it.
If the later is the case then most routers use dhcp so get into the network configuration tool and set the network card to pick up a lease via dhcp. If you are still unable to get on the net then check the file /etc/resolv.conf and if it is blank then either enter DNS addresses that your isp has given in the form;

nameserver <ip-adress>

or use the address of the router which should be available in the router manual because most of them automatically discover the DNS address of the isp and do DNS caching for you.

If everything above is incomprehensible to you ask the questions.

Last edited by TigerOC; 10-05-2005 at 04:31 PM.
 
Old 10-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
tkedwards
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Munich, Germany
Distribution: Opensuse 11.2
Posts: 1,549

Rep: Reputation: 51
You will probably find the Network tools in the Mandrake Control Centre (menu->System->Configuration->Configure Your Computer) the easiest to use. See here for the documentation http://doc.mandrivalinux.com/Mandriv...c-network.html
 
Old 10-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #4
SgC.9711
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks, TigerOC. Will try it out. (Btw, the Mandrake ver should be 10.1 and not 10.2)


Quote:
Originally posted by TigerOC
Hi SGC and welcome to LQ. I am not familiar with MDK but do know they have network tools so I will try to be generic and hope you can figure out the tools to set it up.
Bring up a consol and as root (enter su and enter the root password) and enter the command (here after referred to as "do") ifconfig. Hopefully you should get 2 devices lo and eth0. If you don't get eth0 then it hasn't recognised the card and configured it.
If the later is the case then most routers use dhcp so get into the network configuration tool and set the network card to pick up a lease via dhcp. If you are still unable to get on the net then check the file /etc/resolv.conf and if it is blank then either enter DNS addresses that your isp has given in the form;

nameserver <ip-adress>

or use the address of the router which should be available in the router manual because most of them automatically discover the DNS address of the isp and do DNS caching for you.

If everything above is incomprehensible to you ask the questions.
 
Old 10-05-2005, 11:25 PM   #5
SgC.9711
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks, TkEdwards, for pointing me to a very comrephensive documentation.


Quote:
Originally posted by tkedwards
You will probably find the Network tools in the Mandrake Control Centre (menu->System->Configuration->Configure Your Computer) the easiest to use. See here for the documentation http://doc.mandrivalinux.com/Mandriv...c-network.html
 
Old 10-06-2005, 08:48 AM   #6
SgC.9711
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
TigerOC, I tried the setup in MDK Control Center with its very user friendly GUI. There are 2 devices: eth0 Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG; etho1 Realtek RTL-8139; available.

I set up the protocol as DHCP and as a "dhlclient",
select "Get DNS servers from DHCP.

Both connections still do not work! I searched other forum postings. There was a similar one suggesting compatibility issues with RTL-8139 driver. That the module used "8139too" is incompatile. I found another version of the driver. But I have no idea how to change the driver file on Linux.

Btw, when I was on MDK 9.0, the connections worked just fine. This problem occured only when I re-install MDK 10.1 LE. A workaround will be to switch back to MDK9.0, but I desperately need to use Skype in my work. Right now, I am back on another WinXP machine, since my switch to Linux hasn't been easy.

Hope some expert members in the LQ could help.


Quote:
Originally posted by TigerOC
Hi SGC and welcome to LQ. I am not familiar with MDK but do know they have network tools so I will try to be generic and hope you can figure out the tools to set it up.
Bring up a consol and as root (enter su and enter the root password) and enter the command (here after referred to as "do") ifconfig. Hopefully you should get 2 devices lo and eth0. If you don't get eth0 then it hasn't recognised the card and configured it.
If the later is the case then most routers use dhcp so get into the network configuration tool and set the network card to pick up a lease via dhcp. If you are still unable to get on the net then check the file /etc/resolv.conf and if it is blank then either enter DNS addresses that your isp has given in the form;

nameserver <ip-adress>

or use the address of the router which should be available in the router manual because most of them automatically discover the DNS address of the isp and do DNS caching for you.

If everything above is incomprehensible to you ask the questions.
 
Old 10-06-2005, 10:30 AM   #7
TigerOC
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Devon, UK
Distribution: Debian Etc/kernel 2.6.18-4K7
Posts: 2,380

Rep: Reputation: 49
What does the command ifconfig from a consol return? The 8139too driver is quite old now and cannot believe that there would be a problem with it unless the card is not that version.

Last edited by TigerOC; 10-06-2005 at 10:31 AM.
 
Old 10-06-2005, 01:11 PM   #8
SgC.9711
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
The ifconfig shows:

When on MDK LE2005:

[root@localhost ptc]# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
UP RUNNING NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:9F2:BF:AF
inet6 addr: fe80::2c0:9fff:fed2:bfaf/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:176 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:176 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:14024 (13.6 Kb) TX bytes:14024 (13.6 Kb)

[root@localhost ptc]#

-----------------------------------

When on MDK 9.0 :

root@localhost ptc]# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:9F2:BF:AF
inet addr:192.168.0.197 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1875 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2061 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:869502 (849.1 Kb) TX bytes:324096 (316.5 Kb)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope the above data sheds more clue to the problem and diagnostics.


Quote:
Originally posted by TigerOC
What does the command ifconfig from a consol return? The 8139too driver is quite old now and cannot believe that there would be a problem with it unless the card is not that version.
 
Old 10-06-2005, 03:43 PM   #9
TigerOC
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Devon, UK
Distribution: Debian Etc/kernel 2.6.18-4K7
Posts: 2,380

Rep: Reputation: 49
The above shows that the system is picking up the cards alright but the cards have no ip address. You need configure eth1 to pick up a lease from the router using dhcp using the network configuration tool. Previously, with MDK 9.0, it had a static address of 192.168.0.197
 
Old 10-06-2005, 11:36 PM   #10
SgC.9711
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by TigerOC
The above shows that the system is picking up the cards alright but the cards have no ip address. You need configure eth1 to pick up a lease from the router using dhcp using the network configuration tool. Previously, with MDK 9.0, it had a static address of 192.168.0.197
When it was running MDK 9.0, the IP setting was on DHCP. It was not set to a static IP address. I wonder what else could be the problem.
 
Old 10-06-2005, 11:56 PM   #11
tkedwards
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Munich, Germany
Distribution: Opensuse 11.2
Posts: 1,549

Rep: Reputation: 51
Can you show us the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1, /etc/sysconfig/network
 
Old 10-07-2005, 06:59 AM   #12
SgC.9711
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by tkedwards
Can you show us the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1, /etc/sysconfig/network
Sorry, unable to find the files you indicated. I could browse to the 2 directories:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
/etc/sysconfig/networking

using the "Find files" menu. But I can locate the ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1 files.

Is there another way to search and locate the files? Using CLI commands. I'm a Linux newbie with very knowledge of the CLI commands.
 
Old 10-07-2005, 03:10 PM   #13
SgC.9711
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by tkedwards
Can you show us the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1, /etc/sysconfig/network
Ok. Managed to find the files:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 .. shows:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
METRIC=30

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth .. shows:

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPRO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
METRIC=10
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
USERCTL=no
DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient
NEEDHOSTNAME=no
PEERDNS=yes
PEERYP=no
PEERNTPD=no

/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-lo .. shows:

DEVICE=lo
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=127.0.0.0
# If you're having problems with gated making 127.0.0.0/8 a martian,
# you can change this to something else (255.255.255.255, for example)
BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
NAME=loopback

I hope the above data helps with the troubleshooting.

I am really puzzled. When on MDK 9.0, the connection works fine. On MDK 10.2, it's such a challenge. Wonder what I should do next. Find another Linux distro or go back to WinXP ....

Hope someone can help soon. Thanks!
 
Old 10-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #14
tkedwards
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Munich, Germany
Distribution: Opensuse 11.2
Posts: 1,549

Rep: Reputation: 51
Backup you ifcfg-eth0 file then copy the ifcfg-eth1 file to eth0, ie (as root):
Code:
cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
mv ifcfg-eth0 ifcfg-eth0.bak
cp ifcfg-eth1 ifcfg-eth0
Now edit the ifcfg-eth0 and change 'eth1' to 'eth0'. Restart the dhcpd service (and the dhclient service if its on your machine) and then restart the network service. See if that works. If not post the output of ifconfig.

PS to restart services go into the Mandrake Control Centre->System->Enable or Disable Services
 
Old 10-07-2005, 10:38 PM   #15
SgC.9711
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by tkedwards
Backup you ifcfg-eth0 file then copy the ifcfg-eth1 file to eth0, ie (as root):
Code:
cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
mv ifcfg-eth0 ifcfg-eth0.bak
cp ifcfg-eth1 ifcfg-eth0
Now edit the ifcfg-eth0 and change 'eth1' to 'eth0'. Restart the dhcpd service (and the dhclient service if its on your machine) and then restart the network service. See if that works. If not post the output of ifconfig.

PS to restart services go into the Mandrake Control Centre->System->Enable or Disable Services
Tried the eth0 backup, and changed eth1 to eth0. And restarted dhcpd and network service. Still could not connect.

The ifconfig:
[root@localhost ptc]# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:10 Memory:b0101000-b0101fff

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:9F2:BF:AF
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0xc000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

This is getting to be more challenging. Hope to get closer to the solution.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RealTek RTL8129/8139 Fast Ethernet tom_from_van Linux - Networking 15 08-16-2005 01:24 PM
Ethernet Card Realtek 8139 not working on MDK 10.1 community [MDK]NooB Mandriva 3 05-10-2005 03:54 PM
Realtek 8139 ethernet and new kernel markjuggles Linux - Newbie 4 12-15-2003 10:04 AM
problem with two realtek 8139 ethernet cards w3bbuilder Linux - Newbie 1 08-15-2003 04:46 PM
realtek 8139 ethernet port problem. poortl9109 Linux - Networking 10 01-09-2003 12:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration