Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Ok. Here is my pc info.
Disk: Seagate Sata 120G on third IDE and maxtor ata133 120G on mobo
promise 203768 controler in IDE mode.
Sata drive has windows XP.
So first I put mandrake 9.2 on maxtor drive, everything installed smothly.
I can do dual boot, no problem and 9.2 can recognize the maxtor drive
using its promise pdc-ultra device driver.
Then come 10.0 community version that I downloaded with no checksum error.
I remove totally 9.2 and try to install 10.0. It got the problem now, since it
does not recognize the maxtor drive. So I can not install basically.
Anybody knows how to fix this problem ? Why 9.2 can install and 10.0 does
Ok. I continue, so I make room on the seagate sata drive, releasing 40G to
the end of the drive to install mandrake 10.0.
Ok installation went fine, smooth I will say, and I install grub to dual boot
my window and linux on /dev/hde.
Now when I reboot, the system just hang does not want to go to windows or linux.
I try to rescue it, using CD1, try to fix it using lilo text, lilo graphic, install it
on /dev/hde6 or /dev/hde, it would never work. Even installing the grub or
lilo on /dev/fd0 does not work. It just display
on the screen and hang.
The last thing I can do is to flash the mbr with fdisk from dos or the
fix from CD1 that ask to reinstall window bootloader.
That is the only thing I can do to get back to windows, and basically I have
to undo 10.0 and go back to install 9.2 instead.
Any guru who knows how to fix this problem ?
I think it is better be fixed, before the 10.0 official CD get released next month.
I had the same problem with slackware 9.1 and my segagate 80 gig. If you go into your computer's BIOS menu, (Hold DEL, or whatever else your motherboard manual says) when your computer is first turning on. Try switching around the boot order of the hard drives or whatever else you have (CD, Floppy). I've found that Red Hat 9 "shrike" works the best in these problems. Sorry if none of this stuff works.
The problem is with Lilo and your BIOS. I ran into the same thing. To get Mandrake going:
1) Reboot using your installation CDs. Hit 'F1' to get more options, then enter 'rescue' as your mode
2) On the screen that appears, tell it to mount your partitions under /mnt
3) Do a 'mount /dev/XXX /mnt/boot' where XXX is the boot partition (hda1 in my case)
4) cd /mnt/
5) chroot .
6) lilo -l (that's a lower case L)
You're in business. lilo -l instructs lilo to use linear mode when computing partition sizes / locations on the disk which is helpful when lilo and the bios don't want to cooperate...