Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I decided to download the Fedora 10 live CD and dual boot it on my desktop with Windows Vista, but I am having really weird stability issues.
Here's what is happening, in detail:
1. Boot up my computer with Live CD, brings up Fedora, login, no problems.
2. Before I install a Linux OS on my machine, I make sure it can do everything I need it to do, so before installing, I set the following up from the Live CD:
- Set up sudo
- set up rpm repositories
- set up yum (fastestmirror, presto)
- sudo yum install PackageKit
- set up nvidia card
- set up java plugin, adobe flash, alsa-oss (adjust sound levels)
- set up emerald, gparted, pdf viewer
- install Fedora OpenOffice core package from add/remove software
Everything sets-up fine, BUT:
3. At any given time (usually after about 3/4 of the way into setting it up), the system just completly crashes, and one or more the following happens:
- I lose all desktop icons, and both top and bottom gnome navigating bars, and the cursor turns into a little black and white clock, then the system stays unresponsive, never refreshes, and its just the desktop image with nothing else.
- I lose my sudo abilities, and my ability to login to terminal as "su" (if I recall, I get some sort of sequential error)
- Firefox will crash out of nowhere, and I am unable to open another browser again (when I click the icon, it shows that fedora is thinking, and it shows up on the bar at the bottom of the screen, then disappears in about 10 seconds.
Again, there doesn't seem to be a pattern to this. It can happen anytime, but usually happens towards the latter half of my setting up. The only thing I can think of is that there is a little security box that appears early on in the set-up telling me that I need to install the following security updates. I have no justification to blame this, but I always chose yes to update. Also, the security updates hold the yum lock for a very long time.
Does anyone have any of these issues, or have you experienced them in the past? I do like Fedora alot, but I can't run it like this.
seeing as fedora is the definition of NEW and " cutting edge "
and seeing as it is a VERY fast development distro . This will be common
but i have not had many problems with it . a crash every now and then , a program locking sometimes. No sound for a month in fedora 11 .I had to fix the sound in fedora 8 and 9 .Python is TOO NEW to run pysol card game ( boot into CentOS for that ) .I have to do minor edits of MOST code i build to be able to build with gcc 4.4 ( default on fedora 11 ) . And so on ...........