Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Right now I'm expierencing really hard problem with my mail server. With that mail server works around 300 clients at the same time, half a year ago it used to work great without any problem, now IMAP server times out time to time. From client side when the problem appears: when the user is trying to send and email, it sends, but can't copy mail to sent folder, after that it starts to time out sent and inbox folders... Seems like a conection problem. For the moment I found a lil work around, I just restart imap server and it seems to work properly until next call...
So, I think the problem appeard when we have changed our internet provider, and old admin forgot some dot in some config, unfortunatelly I'm still geting familiar with linux so mail server for me is like a mountain right now :/
If anyone expierenced something like that, or have any idea what can be wrong please help with that.
I'm running slackware 13.1
and sorry for not proper information, but those are what i know about my mail:
I'm using vpopmail to administrate user accounts,
for pop3, smtdp I'm using qmail.
Btw, this is mail things that are triggered by rc.local: /etc/rc.d/rc.spamd start
Server seems to work fine, even if it's a lil weak, here is load from top:
Network seems to be good too, I have 40Mb/s on my netwrok, load average from iftop:
TX: cumm: 5.18MB peak: 6.95Mb rates: 6.95Mb 4.15Mb 4.15Mb
RX: 403KB 564Kb 564Kb 322Kb 322Kb
TOTAL: 5.58MB 7.50Mb
If you need I can provide some more information that can help to find out the problem, just point it out for me what could be usefull.
P.S. Im not really sure, but when problem started all 300+ clients were working and expierenced the problem, during summer, it was quiet (not really sure why, was the server alright, or there were less clients during that and no one could complain), but as soon as september came, the problem appeared again...
Hey, I'm not sure how to check what IMAP am I running, but it's called courie-imap I think and it came together with slackware 11.0. (My bad, I told wrong version, my version of slackware is 11.0, sorry about that), also there is slight probability that it is even older, cause slackware could have been upgraded on this machine... So I find folders called: courier-imap-4.8.0. If it's not enough information about imap, please suggest how can I check out for more.
I was checking logs for a while and couldn't see a thing, but now when I was prepairing piece of log to show it to you i found something like that... :
Hello again, sorry for the delay. So after all the problem was the one i realized posting previous post. Thank U for at least 1 soul who wanted to help me, I think it cleared my vision and let me see the problem i couldn't see for half a year. So, the solution was to increase max connections... Simple
(In my case it was instaled into /usr/local/etc/imapd so that might have been the case i was walking circles for a while)
# Maximum number of IMAP servers started
MAXDAEMONS=255 # I had 100 before...
# Maximum number of connections to accept from the same IP address
Sorry to ignore you, I've been slammed at work and haven't been keeping up here. I'm so glad you got your problem resolved! Just keep an eye on your resources (memory, disk I/O) and make sure the increased max connections don't bite you. Glad things are working well, and thanks for posting the solution.