LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,468

Rep: Reputation: 85
lost all highlights and notes on Adobe Digital Editons


The only suspicious thing was I started out with one book and ended up with four (of the same book). None of them display the highlighting or notes. I Googled around and some people said,'Don't worry. You can restore the highlighting because the annotations files can't be deleted.' Well, I did find the annotations files and one of them is loaded with stuff, but how do I get it to restore the highlights and notes to my book? Thanks.
 
Old 12-11-2014, 04:16 AM   #2
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Sorry but is this relevant to a Linux forum? I checked the Adobe Digital Editions (I assume Editons was a typo) and they only support MacOS and Windows. Maybe that's the problem???
Quote:
Adobe Digital Editions 4.0.2 Installers

Locate your preferred platform and click on it to download the installer. Then run the installer on your machine to install Adobe Digital Editions.

Download Digital Edition 4.0.2 Macintosh (18.7 MB)

Download Digital Edition 4.0.2 Windows (7.2MB)

For information on Adobe Digital Editions' privacy policy, see here.
jdk
 
Old 12-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,468

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
Sorry but is this relevant to a Linux forum? I checked the Adobe Digital Editions (I assume Editons was a typo) and they only support MacOS and Windows. Maybe that's the problem???

jdk
Hey LZM, I was wondering if if was appropriate to post this here. Using WINE (the program, not the beverage) to run ADE (yes, "editions"). I figured since I was running it via Linux there might be some quirk that was causing the problem, but I guess not. (I'm sure there's a ADE forum somewhere.) Take it easy. P.S. Uncle Bob says hi.

---------- Post added 12-11-14 at 01:10 PM ----------

This was probably in the wrong forum so I'll mark it as solved.
 
Old 12-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Yes, you could try running it using Wine or in a VM (virtual machine) but is it worth it? As you may know, Adobe has turned its back on Linux and has withdrawn Linux support from all its products. I'm not sure what you want to use ADE for but have you looked at either Calibre or Libreoffice (there's an extension called Writer2epub). I use Calibre to convert pdf files to epub (actually Mobi files for Kindle) and it works a treat.
Keep the faith.
jdk
 
Old 12-12-2014, 12:08 AM   #5
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,468

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
Yes, you could try running it using Wine or in a VM (virtual machine) but is it worth it? As you may know, Adobe has turned its back on Linux and has withdrawn Linux support from all its products. I'm not sure what you want to use ADE for but have you looked at either Calibre or Libreoffice (there's an extension called Writer2epub). I use Calibre to convert pdf files to epub (actually Mobi files for Kindle) and it works a treat.
Keep the faith.
jdk
Hey jdk. I got a "free" ebook that necessitated getting an Adobe account (password and all). It was such a hassle but I got it. ADE works fine via Wine. I don't understand everything about ADE but I realize I lost my highlighting because I was deleting the books from the ADE "library." I have no love for Adobe or anything MS. (Or Amazon or Google.) (Okay, I'll stop there.) I have Calilbre and am just starting to explore it. Have Libreoffice and Writer2epub. Use LO all the time. Writer2epub almost never. (It's easier to control the process (of making epubs) using Sigil. I love Sigil.) I'm probably going to get an ereader soon so it seems Calibre's conversion expertise will come in very handy. Hope all is well with you and as you all say over there, Happy Christmas!
 
Old 12-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #6
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I had been using a Bookeen Cybook3 (French) Ebook for a few years until the screen died. I then switched to a Kindle 4 because (a) it was cheap (around 50) and worked well. I have never enabled the Wifi and that keeps Amazon far far away from my Kindle which is how I like it. Calibre absolutely LOVES my Kindle and does a fantastic job of converting a variety of formats to the one Kindle uses. Even pdf files, the bain of Cybook, come out quite well with Kindle. Out of curiosity, what kind of ebook is the "free" ebook that forces you to get an account with Adobe? I've never heard of such a disgusting policy.
And a Happy Christmas to you but this morning here in Thanet the winds are 53 km/h so I may be in Finland by Christmas.
jdk

Last edited by jdkaye; 12-17-2014 at 01:35 AM.
 
Old 12-16-2014, 12:50 AM   #7
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,468

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
I had been using a Bookeen Cybook3 (French) Ebook for a few years until the screen died. I then switched to a Kindle 4 because (a) it was cheap (around 50) and worked well. I have never enabled the Wifi and that keeps Amazon far far away from my Kindle which is how I like it. Calibre absolutely LOVES my Kindle and does a fantastic job of converting a variety of formats to the one Kindle uses. Even pdf files, the ban of Cybook, come out quite well with Kindle. Out of curiosity, what kind of ebook is the "free" ebook that forces you to get an account with Adobe? I've never heard of such a disgusting policy.
And a Happy Christmas to you but this morning here in Thanet the winds are 53 km/h so I may be in Finland by Christmas.
jdk
LZM. My apologies. I somehow missed seeing that you wrote until today. (I'm going to the eye doctor in January--I'll mention it.)

Regarding the free book I got an email from Kobo saying I could download the ebook Write Publish Repeat for free. It was quite the run-around (entering these codes that didn't work) even getting the file. Then the file was a URLLink.acsm (I still don't know what that is) that in order to open I had to go to Adobe and open an account (where I ran into new hassles) so I could read the book in Adobe Digitial Editions. As with many "free" things they still extract their pound of flesh.

Thanks for the heads-up about Calibre's effectiveness in converting files. I just bought an old Sony PRC300 (that I'm getting endless grief from friends for buying) (It was $29.) I'll probably buy a Kindle though when the price drops below $50. Why have you never enabled the wi-fi on your Kindle? Don't you ever buy ebooks from Amazon?

Finland less windy than England? Colder, no? Why would you go there?
 
Old 12-17-2014, 02:12 AM   #8
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
LZM. My apologies. I somehow missed seeing that you wrote until today. (I'm going to the eye doctor in January--I'll mention it.)
No worries. Good things come to those who wait.

Quote:
Regarding the free book I got an email from Kobo saying I could download the ebook Write Publish Repeat for free. It was quite the run-around (entering these codes that didn't work) even getting the file. Then the file was a URLLink.acsm (I still don't know what that is) that in order to open I had to go to Adobe and open an account (where I ran into new hassles) so I could read the book in Adobe Digitial Editions. As with many "free" things they still extract their pound of flesh.
Is this the book that begins "YOU MIGHT BE WONDERING JUST who we are. That’s an excellent question. Because, hey, we’re about to presume to tell you how to build a successful self-publishing career."? It took me 3 minutes and no hassle to get it.

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up about Calibre's effectiveness in converting files. I just bought an old Sony PRC300 (that I'm getting endless grief from friends for buying) (It was $29.) I'll probably buy a Kindle though when the price drops below $50. Why have you never enabled the wi-fi on your Kindle? Don't you ever buy ebooks from Amazon?
Your quite welcome. Yes, Calibre is a sine qua non if you're an ebook user. I would never buy an ebook from Amazon. The prices are ridiculous given the cost of production. With Amazon you have less rights over your property (the book you paid for) than for a paper version. For example, when you're finished with it you can't give it away to a hospital or a library or a stranger on the bus. These are things you can do with a "real" book. Once you've paid for it, it's yours. Secondly, with Amazon you don't OWN the ebook the way you would a regular book. Amazon can delete and has deleted books from Kindle. Orwellian, isn't it? I believe Amazon also DRM's their ebooks which is a deal-breaker for me.

Quote:
Finland less windy than England? Colder, no? Why would you go there?
Given the direction and strength of the prevailing winds around here lately the (former) Isle of Thanet would break away from the rest of Kent and start drifting up the Channel to the North Sea, around Denmark to the Baltic Sea and on to Finland. Got it? So basically we don't have a choice.
Ciao
jdk

Last edited by jdkaye; 12-17-2014 at 02:14 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Installing Adobe Digital Edition herakles_14 Ubuntu 7 01-02-2013 10:36 PM
LXer: Howto install Adobe Digital Editions on Ubuntu 12.04 and use it with an e-book reader LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-03-2012 11:31 PM
cheap digital cameras a lost cause? MrMagoosLoo Linux - General 10 05-18-2012 07:23 AM
[SOLVED] Adobe Digital Editions - with Wine nixonfamilyusa Linux - Software 2 03-01-2011 06:27 PM
emu-config digital outup, I'm lost HELP! Zeth_htp Linux - General 2 03-05-2003 11:54 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration