LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2015, 04:53 AM   #16
Anil Kagi
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Distribution: LinuxMint 17 Qiana Cinnamon
Posts: 149

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0

Thank you yancek, for coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
Your boot repair script shows Grub in the MBR pointing to the boot files on sda7 and the entries in it's grub.cfg file look correct. Did you move the location of the boot files, move the beginning of the root partition to the right? That could be the problem if you didn't immediately update-grub.
Yes, I did that to both /root and /home partitions. I didn't know it is forbidden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
When you chroot, the script reports that it can't find grub-install or update-grub in /usr/sbin of the installed Mint. Did you check to see if those scripts are actually present? You might try doing this manually although I don't know if that would be any better than the boot repair. See the link below.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...ing#via_ChRoot
Sorry yancek, the instructions provided in the link are greek and latin to me.

All I could do was the first step of executing sudo apt-get install mdadm. Then when I tried to run the second command, there was an error as below;

Quote:
mint@mint ~ $ sudo mdadm --assemble --scan
mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically
Further I didn't understand the next steps and did not know whether I should run them or not.

Forgive my ignorance.

I would be greatfull if you could guide me through this.

Thank you

Anil
 
Old 06-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #17
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 6,869

Rep: Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247
The step you mention is only if you have RAID as stated in number 3 at the link. If you have a standard system, you would start at number 6. Read the steps carefully and note that if you are not using RAID, you also skip number 9.

Moving the start of a partition can create problems as the code in the mbr points to a specific sector on the partition. When you move the partition the boot files at the beginning of a partition they will be at a different sector which is one reason moving the beginning of a boot/root partition is riskier. Running update-grub immediately after the change might have resolved this. Good luck.
 
Old 06-08-2015, 11:39 PM   #18
Anil Kagi
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Distribution: LinuxMint 17 Qiana Cinnamon
Posts: 149

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
The step you mention is only if you have RAID as stated in number 3 at the link. If you have a standard system, you would start at number 6. Read the steps carefully and note that if you are not using RAID, you also skip number 9.

Moving the start of a partition can create problems as the code in the mbr points to a specific sector on the partition. When you move the partition the boot files at the beginning of a partition they will be at a different sector which is one reason moving the beginning of a boot/root partition is riskier. Running update-grub immediately after the change might have resolved this. Good luck.
Hello yancek,

Thank you for being there.

I did as suggested in the link. However I could go as far as step-9. When I gave the command in step-10, I got an error, as below.

Quote:
mint@mint ~ $ sudo chroot /mnt
chroot: failed to run command ‘/bin/bash’: No such file or directory

mint@mint ~ $

In the begining, I suppose I should have skipped the step-3 and directly gone to step-6. However I went through it due to my lack knowledge & fear that lest I miss something. And this is what happened when I gave the rest of the suggested commands.

Quote:
mint@mint ~ $ sudo apt-get install mdadm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Recommended packages:
default-mta mail-transport-agent
The following NEW packages will be installed:
mdadm
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 362 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,222 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main mdadm i386 3.2.5-5ubuntu4 [362 kB]
Fetched 362 kB in 2s (150 kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package mdadm.
(Reading database ... 145966 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../mdadm_3.2.5-5ubuntu4_i386.deb ...
Unpacking mdadm (3.2.5-5ubuntu4) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1) ...
Processing triggers for doc-base (0.10.5) ...
Processing 33 changed doc-base files, 6 added doc-base files...
Registering documents with scrollkeeper...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...
Setting up mdadm (3.2.5-5ubuntu4) ...
Generating mdadm.conf... done.
Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/mdadm-raid ...
update-initramfs is disabled since running on read-only media
update-grub is /usr/sbin/update-grub
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of `/cow'.
* Starting MD monitoring service mdadm --monitor [ OK ]
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...

mint@mint ~ $ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xa33b6c03

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 83875839 41936896 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 83875840 429899775 173011968 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 429901822 625141420 97619799+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 429901824 450871295 10484736 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda6 457369600 478339071 10484736 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda7 478341120 530755182 26207031+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 530757632 543340543 6291456 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda9 543342592 625141420 40899414+ 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 2002 MB, 2002747392 bytes
125 heads, 9 sectors/track, 3476 cylinders, total 3911616 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00563b60

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 63 3911615 1955776+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

mint@mint ~ $ sudo blkid
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sda1: UUID="01D09BBE77381500" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="Local Disk" UUID="01D09BBE40FA9580" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda5: LABEL="OD's Documents" UUID="01D09BBC39D28800" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda6: LABEL="CR's Documents" UUID="01D09BBBDEA09580" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda7: UUID="87e59798-2b4e-4f0d-899c-9b3f62ccc346" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda8: UUID="16cc5b55-eada-4ddb-8794-e9d861072994" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda9: UUID="eb0b6c49-f3be-4155-92cb-fde4355815d4" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="DA04-CF29" TYPE="vfat"

mint@mint ~ $ df -Th
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/cow overlayfs 1.5G 127M 1.3G 9% /
udev devtmpfs 1.5G 12K 1.5G 1% /dev
tmpfs tmpfs 290M 1.4M 288M 1% /run
/dev/sdb1 vfat 1.9G 1.2G 693M 64% /cdrom
/dev/loop0 squashfs 1.2G 1.2G 0 100% /rofs
none tmpfs 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs tmpfs 1.5G 8.0K 1.5G 1% /tmp
none tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none tmpfs 1.5G 692K 1.5G 1% /run/shm
none tmpfs 100M 16K 100M 1% /run/user

mint@mint ~ $ sudo mount /dev/sda7 /mnt

mint@mint ~ $ sudo mount /dev/sda9 /mnt/boot

mint@mint ~ $ for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /run; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done

mint@mint ~ $ sudo chroot /mnt
chroot: failed to run command ‘/bin/bash’: No such file or directory

mint@mint ~ $
Has this got something to do with the 'chroot' command. Is there any alternative command for LM17? If so what is that? Please help.

Thank you

Anil
 
Old 06-09-2015, 03:19 AM   #19
Anil Kagi
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Distribution: LinuxMint 17 Qiana Cinnamon
Posts: 149

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hello everybody,

A quick history of the things that occured before this mishap:

I feel the problem occured for the first time when I reduced the size of the 'Virtual Disk' created by me in the VirtualBox on the LM17 OS.

I was working to install Windows7 on the VM in LM17.

At first I had given a 25GB size to the 'Virtual Disk' for one user in LM17. But I wanted to install windows for atleast one more user of LM17. And I found that I would fall short of space on /home. And so I had to reduce the size of the 'Virtual Disk' and increase the size of the /home partition. Soon after restarting, after the resizing of the virtual-disk, I feel [don't remember exactly] the LM17 OS failed to boot. [Could it be possible that the problem was created due to resizing of the Virtual-disk?]

I do not remember the sequence of events that happened then. But due to the requirement of a larger /home partition to install windows on VM for each linux user, I had to extend/shrink all the other partitions. And I did so accordingly.

And in this process as Yancek pointed out, I have committed the blunder of 'moving the start of a partition'.

Thank you

Anil

Last edited by Anil Kagi; 06-09-2015 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Added matter in italics
 
Old 06-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #20
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 6,869

Rep: Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247Reputation: 1247
You might try the process again eliminating steps 8 and 9. Step 8 as it states is used only if you have a separate boot partition which does not seem to be the case and step 9 is only if you have RAID which you don't seem to have.

I'm not sure that I understand your situation. In your initial post you indicate that you have windows installed on it's own partition and are able to boot and use it. In your last post, you indicate that you were also trying to install windows in a virtual machine within Mint, is that the case?
 
Old 06-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #21
Anil Kagi
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Distribution: LinuxMint 17 Qiana Cinnamon
Posts: 149

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
I'm not sure that I understand your situation. In your initial post you indicate that you have windows installed on it's own partition and are able to boot and use it. In your last post, you indicate that you were also trying to install windows in a virtual machine within Mint, is that the case?
Hello yancek,

Yes, I was also trying to install windows in a virtual machine within Mint. It is because, by doing so I could use Windows without having to reboot, whenever necessary.

Thank you yancek, for your concern

Anil
 
Old 06-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #22
Anil Kagi
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Distribution: LinuxMint 17 Qiana Cinnamon
Posts: 149

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
You might try the process again eliminating steps 8 and 9. Step 8 as it states is used only if you have a separate boot partition which does not seem to be the case and step 9 is only if you have RAID which you don't seem to have.
Hello Yancek;

I did as suggested. Skipped 8 & 9 and successfully did step 10. However, at step 11 again the same error occured, as belows

Quote:
mint@mint ~ $ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xa33b6c03

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 83875839 41936896 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 83875840 429899775 173011968 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 429901822 625141420 97619799+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 429901824 450871295 10484736 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda6 457369600 478339071 10484736 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda7 478341120 530755182 26207031+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 530757632 543340543 6291456 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda9 543342592 625141420 40899414+ 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 2002 MB, 2002747392 bytes
125 heads, 9 sectors/track, 3476 cylinders, total 3911616 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00563b60

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 63 3911615 1955776+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

mint@mint ~ $ sudo blkid
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sda1: UUID="01D09BBE77381500" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="Local Disk" UUID="01D09BBE40FA9580" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda5: LABEL="OD's Documents" UUID="01D09BBC39D28800" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda6: LABEL="CR's Documents" UUID="01D09BBBDEA09580" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda7: UUID="87e59798-2b4e-4f0d-899c-9b3f62ccc346" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda8: UUID="16cc5b55-eada-4ddb-8794-e9d861072994" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda9: UUID="eb0b6c49-f3be-4155-92cb-fde4355815d4" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="DA04-CF29" TYPE="vfat"

mint@mint ~ $ df -Th
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/cow overlayfs 1.5G 75M 1.4G 6% /
udev devtmpfs 1.5G 12K 1.5G 1% /dev
tmpfs tmpfs 290M 1.4M 288M 1% /run
/dev/sdb1 vfat 1.9G 1.2G 693M 64% /cdrom
/dev/loop0 squashfs 1.2G 1.2G 0 100% /rofs
none tmpfs 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs tmpfs 1.5G 8.0K 1.5G 1% /tmp
none tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none tmpfs 1.5G 788K 1.5G 1% /run/shm
none tmpfs 100M 24K 100M 1% /run/user

mint@mint ~ $ sudo mount /dev/sda7 /mnt

mint@mint ~ $ for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /run; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done

mint@mint ~ $ sudo chroot /mnt
chroot: failed to run command ‘/bin/bash’: No such file or directory

mint@mint ~ $
Thank you

Anil
 
Old 06-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #23
EDDY1
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland,Ca
Distribution: wins7, Debian wheezy
Posts: 6,838

Rep: Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649
Post output of
Quote:
cat /etc/fstab
 
Old 06-12-2015, 12:20 AM   #24
Anil Kagi
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Distribution: LinuxMint 17 Qiana Cinnamon
Posts: 149

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDY1 View Post
Post output of
Hello EDDY1,

Here is the output;

Quote:
mint@mint ~ $ cat /etc/fstab
overlayfs / overlayfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/sda8 swap swap defaults 0 0
mint@mint ~ $
Thank you EDDY1, for being with me.

Anil
 
Old 06-12-2015, 12:33 AM   #25
EDDY1
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland,Ca
Distribution: wins7, Debian wheezy
Posts: 6,838

Rep: Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649
Did your chroot fail?
Try mounting in file manager & look at the fstab manually.
You may have to mount with disk utility.
 
Old 06-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #26
Anil Kagi
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Distribution: LinuxMint 17 Qiana Cinnamon
Posts: 149

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDY1 View Post
Did your chroot fail?
Try mounting in file manager & look at the fstab manually.
You may have to mount with disk utility.
Hello EDDY1,

Thank you for being with me.

As I mentioned earlier, whenever I give the command 'chroot' and 'sudo chroot', I get the following error;

Quote:
mint@mint ~ $ sudo chroot /mnt
chroot: failed to run command ‘/bin/bash’: No such file or directory

mint@mint ~ $
And now after manually mounting the partitions and giving the command 'chroot', I get this following error;

Quote:
mint@mint ~ $ cat /etc/fstab
overlayfs / overlayfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/sda8 swap swap defaults 0 0

mint@mint ~ $

With 'sudo chroot' also, I get the same error, as below;

Quote:
mint@mint ~ $ sudo chroot
chroot: missing operand
Try 'chroot --help' for more information.
mint@mint ~ $
And as I mentioned earlier, I cannot find the /etc folder in the /root partition, which I mounted manually. My /root partition contents look as belows;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-06-13 03:08:53.png
Views:	7
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	18695

I took the screen-shots of the mount options in the 'Disks' (gnome-disk-utility). Thought they may throw some light in resolving my problem. Here they are below;

Screen-shot of mount options of Root partition;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot of root partition.png
Views:	6
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	18697

Screen-shot of mount options of Home partition;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot of home partition.png
Views:	5
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	18698

Where is my /etc folder? Why is it missing? Can it be found and replaced again?

Thank you

Anil
 
Old 06-13-2015, 01:53 AM   #27
EDDY1
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland,Ca
Distribution: wins7, Debian wheezy
Posts: 6,838

Rep: Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649
You have a few devices listed a 42G & a 43G check them also.
 
Old 06-13-2015, 02:37 AM   #28
Anil Kagi
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Distribution: LinuxMint 17 Qiana Cinnamon
Posts: 149

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDY1 View Post
You have a few devices listed a 42G & a 43G check them also.
Hello EDDY1,

The 42GB partition is the /home partition which I have checked and,

the 43GB partition is the Windows partition.

Thank you

Anil
 
Old 06-13-2015, 04:20 AM   #29
richey75
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2015
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Could you please document the partition scheme desired in this thread?
 
Old 06-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #30
Anil Kagi
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Distribution: LinuxMint 17 Qiana Cinnamon
Posts: 149

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by richey75 View Post
Could you please document the partition scheme desired in this thread?
Thank you Richey75 for your interest,

I didn't really get what info you mentioned. Anyway I suppose you wanted to know what are the numbers of partitions and their sizes I need. I am here below giving the screen-shot of the scheme shown by Gparted. Here below it is, and that is what I want and it is already there I suppose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot  of Gparted.png
Views:	9
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	18699

The 1.20MB unallocated space after sda7, is not what I wanted or created. It got generated on its own.

Hope I answered your querry satifactorily.

Thank you

Anil
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to boot the live cd Magic Partition lee_can Linux - General 7 01-29-2014 08:38 PM
unable to dual boot with new windows partition Cultist Linux - Software 1 03-13-2012 08:34 AM
Unable To Boot To Fedora When Grub Installed in /boot Partition FedoraNewbie Linux - Newbie 4 09-26-2006 04:46 AM
Help: Unable to Boot into Linux Partition. rvijay Linux - Newbie 2 09-21-2003 02:57 PM
unable to dual boot after change partition guanyu Linux - Newbie 2 08-26-2003 10:43 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration