LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
David2010
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 255

Rep: Reputation: 23
Linux superblock not found on new install?


Ok this one has puzzled me.

This computer that I got as a gift runs windows just fine but being as I am a linux fan I would really like to run linux on it.

I tried installing Ubuntu on the PC but it just caused some very very strange problems. (Text placed randomly on the screen + strange sounds coming from the computer).

I tried installing Gentoo (my favorite distro) on the PC and it can't find the superblock on the drive. (Error during bootup)

I low level formatted the drive and repartitioned it before installing gentoo.

I don't understand what the superblock is or why it can't find it. :-/

FSTAB

Code:
/dev/hda3   /boot        ext2    defaults,noatime     1 2
/dev/hda1   /            ext3    noatime              0 1
/dev/hda2   none         swap    sw                   0 0

/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom   auto    noauto,user          0 0

proc        /proc        proc    defaults             0 0
shm         /dev/shm     tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,noexec  0 0
GRUB CONF

Code:
root (hd0,2)

kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda1

initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r12
e2fsck -f /dev/hda1 (Shows nothing)
e2fsck -f /dev/hda3 (Shows nothing)
fsck -t ext3 -y /dev/hda1 (Shows nothing)
fsck -t ext2 -y /dev/hda3 (Shows nothing)
 
Old 10-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
malekmustaq
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: root
Distribution: Slackware & BSD
Posts: 1,613

Rep: Reputation: 433Reputation: 433Reputation: 433Reputation: 433Reputation: 433
If it can run liveCD what does --# lspci -v give? can you post it here?
 
Old 10-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
David2010
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 255

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by malekmustaq View Post
If it can run liveCD what does --# lspci -v give? can you post it here?
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset Host Bridge (rev 03)
Subsystem: Dell Optiplex GX240
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Capabilities: [e4] Vendor Specific Information <?>
Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 2.0

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 64
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64
Memory behind bridge: fc000000-fdffffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: f0000000-f7ffffff

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 12) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=64
I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
Memory behind bridge: fe100000-fe2fffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 20000000-200fffff

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 12)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U100 Controller (rev 12) (prog-if 80 [Master])
Subsystem: Dell Optiplex GX240
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
[virtual] Memory at 000001f0 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8]
[virtual] Memory at 000003f0 (type 3, non-prefetchable)
[virtual] Memory at 00000170 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8]
[virtual] Memory at 00000370 (type 3, non-prefetchable)
I/O ports at ffa0 [size=16]

00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 12) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Dell Optiplex GX240
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
I/O ports at ff80 [size=32]

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller (rev 12)
Subsystem: Dell Optiplex GX240
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
I/O ports at dcd0 [size=16]

00:1f.4 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 12) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Dell Optiplex GX240
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
I/O ports at ff60 [size=32]

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 12)
Subsystem: Dell Device 010e
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
I/O ports at dc40 [size=64]

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: nVidia Corporation Dell OEM GeForce 2 MX 400
Flags: 66MHz, medium devsel, IRQ 11
Memory at fc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Expansion ROM at fd000000 [disabled] [size=64K]
Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [44] AGP version 2.0

02:07.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems WMP11v4 802.11b PCI card
Subsystem: Linksys Device 0020
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
Memory at fe1ff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2

02:09.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Subsystem: Linksys WMP54G ver 4.1
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
Memory at fe1f0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2

02:0c.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78)
Subsystem: Dell Optiplex GX240
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
I/O ports at ec80 [size=128]
Memory at fe1ff400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]
Expansion ROM at 20000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
 
Old 10-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
hughetorrance
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: London North West
Distribution: x86_64 Slack 13.37 current : +others
Posts: 459

Rep: Reputation: 59
What is the superblock... ?

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/unders...uperblock.html
 
Old 10-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
impert
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 282

Rep: Reputation: 54
The superblock is the first block of the partition.
Quote:
FSTAB

Code:

/dev/hda3 /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 1 2
/dev/hda1 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user 0 0

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

GRUB CONF

Code:

root (hd0,2)

kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda1

initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r12
You're using a separate /boot partition on "hda3" (For some time now HD partitions are usually referred to as sda1,sda2, etc whether they are IDE or sata, so it might be best to change that)
The line root (hd0,2) has correctly sent grub to this partition. But the next line tells it to look for a /boot folder within this partition - which you don't have. So the line should read:
kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86 etc etc
and the next should be:
initrd /initramfs-blahblah
IF that is exactly what your kernel and initrd are called. Note that you can check this by hitting 'c' as you are booting to get a grub prompt. Type
root (hd0,2)
kernel /ker then hit <tab> for autocompletion.
initrd /ini then hit <tab> again.
Hope this helps.
For more on booting see Saikee's Just booting tips
 
Old 10-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
markush
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: Germany
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 3,979

Rep: Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850
Hello together,
Quote:
Originally Posted by impert View Post
...For some time now HD partitions are usually referred to as sda1,sda2, etc whether they are IDE or sata, so it might be best to change that...
some weeks ago I installed Gentoo on an old PIII machine. On this machine the drives were referred to as /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 and so on. I'd suggest to check the output of
Code:
df -h
or
Code:
ls /dev/?d*
then one can see if the system uses sd? or hd?

Markus
 
Old 11-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
impert
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 282

Rep: Reputation: 54
@Markus Hmmm. Good point
 
Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
David2010
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 255

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by markush View Post
Hello together,
some weeks ago I installed Gentoo on an old PIII machine. On this machine the drives were referred to as /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 and so on. I'd suggest to check the output of
Code:
df -h
or
Code:
ls /dev/?d*
then one can see if the system uses sd? or hd?

Markus
Sorry it took me so long to respond.

"df -h" inside the chroot environment from the Live CD.

Shows this:

Code:
/dev/hda1              35G  2.8G   31G   9% /
/dev/hda3             183M  9.0M  164M   6% /boot
shm                    10M  156K  9.9M   2% /dev/shm
The tmpfs (shm) is mounted.

impert, I fixed that problem but it still won't boot. :-/

I am going to try low level formatting the drive again and installing an older (hopefully more stable) version of gentoo. I already screwed up the first installation. :-(

EDIT:

I think one of the reasons that MAY have caused problems is I accidentally installed portage (The gentoo package manager) into /etc instead of /usr.

Still testing.

Last edited by David2010; 11-01-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Caught something.
 
Old 11-02-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
markush
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: Germany
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 3,979

Rep: Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850
Hi David2010,

could you please post the output of fdisk -l, I remember once I tried to install Linux on a Dell Optiplex without success (lscpi looks like you have an Optiplex).

Markus
 
Old 11-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #10
corewar
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
You can use "dumpe2fs /dev/hda1" to show the superblock in the partition hda1.
I hope it is useful to you.
 
Old 11-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
impert
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 282

Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
impert, I fixed that problem but it still won't boot. :-/
What error message are you getting?
You don't say which live CD you are using. Some boot with syslinux, some grub legacy, and (I think) some with grub2..
Try booting with the live CD and hitting <Esc> while it's booting. (After all the BIOS messages; otherwise you'll get into the BIOS menu which is not what you want now.) Then hit 'C', which should give you a Grub prompt and a command line, if you've got a live CD with Grub.
Note whether the version no is less than 1 - eg Grub 0.97 (grub legacy), or > 1, eg 1.96 - (Grub2).
If it says syslinux, you won't be able to boot your Gentoo with it, AFAIK.
If you have grub legacy, you should be able to boot with the following commands:
Code:
root (hd0,2)
kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda1 ro
initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r12
boot
Note I have tacked the kernel option "ro" on to the kernel line: it's usually necessary.
If you have Grub2, the commands should be:
Code:
set root=(hd0,3)
linux /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda1 ro
initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r12
boot
Note the difference in numbering between G1 & G2: (hd0,2) in G1 is (hd0,3) in G2. Don't ask me why.
All this is "errors and omissions excepted", of course.
Edit: Oh, and you _may_ need some other kernel options if your hardware has quirks. Does it at least start loading the kernel?

Last edited by impert; 11-02-2010 at 11:21 AM.
 
Old 11-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
impert
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 282

Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
All this is "errors and omissions excepted", of course.
And there were some. syslinux should have read isolinux, not that it matters.
I thought there were more Live CDs that used grub. Saikee gives a short list on that link that I posted earlier. Of these the only one that I have is Sidux - following the
instructions I gave above booted me into Fedora 13 perfectly.
Sidux is now Aptosid, but I don't know if they still use Grub 0.97. You can also follow this link or Saikee's instruction in the the link above to get a Grub CD, but note that since he wrote that thread some distros have gone to Grub2. Ubuntu did so with Karmic, I think, so you would have to use a Hardy Heron Live CD.
Hope you're not too confused.
 
Old 11-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
David2010
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 255

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by markush View Post
Hi David2010,

could you please post the output of fdisk -l, I remember once I tried to install Linux on a Dell Optiplex without success (lscpi looks like you have an Optiplex).

Markus
fdisk -l

Code:
Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4863 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xa8000000

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1               1        4498    36130153+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2            4499        4680     1461915   83  Linux
/dev/hda3            4681        4802      979965   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda4   *        4803        4863      489982+  83  Linux
I put my home folder on a seperate partition since I messed up the last install so badly. I also updated the fstab file to include it.

/dev/hda1 is /
/dev/hda2 is /home
/dev/hda3 is swap
/dev/hda4 is /boot
 
Old 11-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #14
David2010
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 255

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by corewar View Post
You can use "dumpe2fs /dev/hda1" to show the superblock in the partition hda1.
I hope it is useful to you.
WAY to large to post here.

I attached the file instead.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dumpe2fs.txt (142.4 KB, 6 views)
 
Old 11-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #15
David2010
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 255

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by impert View Post
What error message are you getting?
You don't say which live CD you are using. Some boot with syslinux, some grub legacy, and (I think) some with grub2..
Try booting with the live CD and hitting <Esc> while it's booting. (After all the BIOS messages; otherwise you'll get into the BIOS menu which is not what you want now.) Then hit 'C', which should give you a Grub prompt and a command line, if you've got a live CD with Grub.
Note whether the version no is less than 1 - eg Grub 0.97 (grub legacy), or > 1, eg 1.96 - (Grub2).
If it says syslinux, you won't be able to boot your Gentoo with it, AFAIK.
If you have grub legacy, you should be able to boot with the following commands:
Code:
root (hd0,2)
kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda1 ro
initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r12
boot
Note I have tacked the kernel option "ro" on to the kernel line: it's usually necessary.
If you have Grub2, the commands should be:
Code:
set root=(hd0,3)
linux /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda1 ro
initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r12
boot
Note the difference in numbering between G1 & G2: (hd0,2) in G1 is (hd0,3) in G2. Don't ask me why.
All this is "errors and omissions excepted", of course.
Edit: Oh, and you _may_ need some other kernel options if your hardware has quirks. Does it at least start loading the kernel?
Its grub version 0.97-r10.

I believe it is gentoo 2008 (could be 2009) but I am not sure. (I have had the CD for a while.)

This gentoo live CD boots with grub legacy.

Yeah it loads the kernel but I still have the error during this part:

Code:
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda1 /dev/hda1:
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains and ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
* Filesystem couldn't be fixed :(
It then pauses for four seconds and restarts.

I tried running e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda1 and then e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda4 but nothing changed.

Besides that, /dev/hda1 is ext3 and NOT ext2. /dev/hda4 is ext2. If that means anything.

This is the fourth fresh install attempt.

Last edited by David2010; 11-02-2010 at 05:48 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cramfsck: superblock magic not found (Scientific Linux) peaceful_lad Linux - General 6 01-05-2010 06:13 AM
Red Hat Linux 9 install: error "No devices found to install ... gunneszz Red Hat 1 03-10-2008 05:52 AM
Autorepaired SUSE 10 for GRUB reinstall - now hda4 reiserfs superblock not found Dagny's Gimp Linux - Newbie 1 05-28-2006 08:00 AM
Need to uninstall grub and install in root superblock ganja_guru Linux - Software 2 06-26-2005 10:06 PM
EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock... Kernel panic: no init found. ebakunin Linux - General 2 06-16-2002 11:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration