Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
This is more of a search for similar phenomenon rather than a SOS - incident been too weird to be solved.
Till 2 days ago I could connect to the net using a realtek lancard on a Opensuse 10.3 system. Then abruptly, the day before, I could not connect. The card was being recognised and the network monitor showed that the connection was up, but I could not get any site to open. The ISP reported that the system was not to blame. Disabling the card and reenabling it, deleting and recreating a new connection all were tried out to no avail. Probably the DHCP part of the connection could be to blame, or the DNS configuration wrong, but using the default, automatically set values worked fine till that moment.
Now the real fun part : I tried Kubuntu and Mandriva live CDs and in both cases I could not open any site, though I did not try to manually set network settings. But with a Belenix 0.6 there was no problem, and I could go online as if nothing had happened, again using the automatically detected network settings.
The windows user in me tell me a "repair reinstall" should work. But I do not find anything else wrong with the Opensuse installation. And given than Kubuntu and Mandriva are also facing the same problem, I don't think Opensuse is to blame either.