You need to give a lot more infomation yhan this. We at least need to know:
- The Language.
- The level your at (1st yr undergrad)?
- What you mean by linux programming?
- Do you want to write a posix compliant cli program?
- Does it have a GUI - X/GTK/QT?
- Does it just need to be run/developed on linux?
- Any example programs (done by previous years)?
- What is the scope how much time do you have?
As has already been said comming up with the project is part of the project. What software would be useful for you? Is there a peice of software that you don't use because it does to much, and becomes to complex?
Why aren't you talking to the lecturer about this.