LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
JHMC
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Linux pause command not on wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/P_commands


I have discovered the 'pause' command does not exist on my system.
It is also not listed under the wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/P_commands. My operating system is essentially that listed in LFS 6.2 and BLFS 6.2. the kernel is 2.6.16.27. What package normally would provide the utility?

Thanks
Jim McConville
 
Old 12-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
colucix
Moderator
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Bologna
Distribution: CentOS 6.5 OpenSuSE 12.3
Posts: 10,502

Rep: Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956
I have never heard about it. If a pause command is meant to sleep a certain amount of time before executing the next statement in a script, this is the command
Code:
sleep
if it is meant to pause the execution of a script waiting for user input, this is a work for
Code:
read -p "Press enter to continue... "
Pause in a *nix system is a C function declared in the unistd.h header. Bye.
 
Old 12-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
JHMC
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by colucix View Post
I have never heard about it. If a pause command is meant to sleep a certain amount of time before executing the next statement in a script, this is the command
Code:
sleep
if it is meant to pause the execution of a script waiting for user input, this is a work for
Code:
read -p "Press enter to continue... "
Pause in a *nix system is a C function declared in the unistd.h header. Bye.
'read' is also not a command on my system. It is also declared in the unistd.h header. This header is is provided in the Linux-Libc-Headers package but apparently the declarations within unistd.h are not compiled as commands.
 
Old 12-17-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
colucix
Moderator
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Bologna
Distribution: CentOS 6.5 OpenSuSE 12.3
Posts: 10,502

Rep: Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956Reputation: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHMC View Post
'read' is also not a command on my system. It is also declared in the unistd.h header. This header is is provided in the Linux-Libc-Headers package but apparently the declarations within unistd.h are not compiled as commands.
read is a builtin command in sh, bash, ksh. In C-like shells a method to read a line of input is
Code:
set variable  =  $<
On my system the header unistd.h is mainly provided from the glibc package, that are the standard C libraries. What you're referring to are the kernel headers which basically provide definitions of the system calls. Anyway, returning to your original question, I don't think you will ever find a package providing a "pause" command, but maybe "sleep" is what you're looking for. Or, if you're experienced in C programming, you may build your customized "pause" command!
 
Old 12-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
JHMC
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by colucix View Post
read is a builtin command in sh, bash, ksh. In C-like shells a method to read a line of input is
Code:
set variable  =  $<
On my system the header unistd.h is mainly provided from the glibc package, that are the standard C libraries. What you're referring to are the kernel headers which basically provide definitions of the system calls. Anyway, returning to your original question, I don't think you will ever find a package providing a "pause" command, but maybe "sleep" is what you're looking for. Or, if you're experienced in C programming, you may build your customized "pause" command!
Thank you for your comments.
I can use the 'read -p "Press Enter to continue" ' in the bash environment for my needs.

Please close the inquiry.
Thanks,
Jim McConville
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New LinuxQuestions.org Site - The LQ Wiki jeremy LQ Suggestions & Feedback 75 11-27-2013 10:16 PM
wiki.linuxfromscratch.org ? jlgreer1 Linux From Scratch 8 12-30-2005 12:54 PM
Wiki: Show Printable Version / printer friendly version / wiki page setup Emmanuel_uk LQ Suggestions & Feedback 1 10-24-2005 08:09 AM
tutorial on wiki wiki web alix123 Programming 1 04-02-2005 02:08 PM
wiki: supposed to use the same wiki namespace? liquigel LQ Suggestions & Feedback 1 03-07-2004 10:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration