Well first off, Hello everyone!!
Here is my situation, since I have the most PC knowledge at my company (8 years as a Windows System Admin, until 2 years ago when I went into programming) I’ve been given the task of getting the network to actually work, and I have no clue as what Linux can do. Here are the systems and what functions they are or going to be doing:
- Domain server – None. Just have all PCs in the same workgroup
- NetScreen – firewall, VPN, & DHCP for internal systems & VPN clients (just setup & config’d yesterday)
- Linux 1 – Samba & CVS (to be setup after Linux 2)
- Linux 2 – DNS (not yet, soon if I can figure BIND out) & Backup server for Linux 1
- Windows 2k Pro & XP Pro PCs – 40 end-user PCs
As you can see it’s a simple (and unsecured) config. What I want to, that is if it’s possible, is:
- We only have a simple workgroup; I want to setup Samba to act as a domain server. Can this be done?
- The workgroup is called example.com, but we have externally hosted web and mail using example.com. Do I need to change the internal domain as not to cause problems with Samba, BIND and the external domain?
- Can BIND be setup for dynamic updates, so that Window systems register to it when getting a DHCP IP?
- Would I be able to do the above if DHCP was on the same server?
- I want to use our ISP's DNS servers, which are Caching DNS servers. Can I just point non-internal requests to them?
I want to say thanks to all in advance for any and all info given.