LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
michaelmas
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 21

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Linux/Linux dual boot tutorial?


Hi, Linux newbie here.

Does anyone know of a relatively comprehensive tutorial on how to dual boot two Linux distros?

I know there are bunch of sites showing how to fit a linux distro alongisde an incumbant Windows, but I haven't found any explaining in depth Linux/Linux dual booting.

When I first set up Ubuntu, it was alongside windows. Frankly, due to me being a novice, it didn't go to well.

What I mainly need is an efficient partioning scheme (my home folder in a seperate partition), why it works and how (or if) that would be different from Win/Linux dual booting.

Also, there should become some issue with the bootloader and an mbr file that must be done carefully, I presume?
 
Old 01-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
malekmustaq
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: root
Distribution: Slackware & BSD
Posts: 1,635

Rep: Reputation: 473Reputation: 473Reputation: 473Reputation: 473Reputation: 473
Quote:
Does anyone know of a relatively comprehensive tutorial on how to dual boot two Linux distros?
I know there are bunch of sites showing how to fit a linux distro alongisde an incumbant Windows, but I haven't found any explaining in depth Linux/Linux dual booting.
Most popular linux distros do not need further configurations when installed side by side with another linux, the grub loader automatically configures accordingly and offer you the choices of all linux systems in your hard drive at the boot time. However, it is best to understand how the grub loader works, just in case you will need to modify later. Here is a link that offers the best Grub2 tutorial. If you want to use Grub Legacy (Grub1?) here is a good tutorial for it.

Dual booting, all happens at the boot loader, so it is best to learn the most popular boot loader.


Quote:
When I first set up Ubuntu, it was alongside windows. Frankly, due to me being a novice, it didn't go to well.
What I mainly need is an efficient partioning scheme (my home folder in a seperate partition), why it works and how (or if) that would be different from Win/Linux dual booting.
Just the same, it is best to mount /home at a different partition. Also, with linux it is far easier.

Quote:
Also, there should become some issue with the bootloader and an mbr file that must be done carefully, I presume?
Grub takes care of that.

Goodluck.
 
Old 01-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
michaelmas
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks.

I'll just give it a try.

It really can't be that complicated.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual boot tutorial sought une Ubuntu 5 08-28-2006 11:38 AM
Dual boot tutorial for notebook sought une Mandriva 2 08-28-2006 07:03 AM
Installing dual Boot 98/Linux - WONT 'LILO' Dual Boot !? L1nux3d Linux - Laptop and Netbook 15 02-11-2006 05:36 AM
decent dual booting tutorial for a windowsXP/linux machine dr_zayus69 Linux - General 5 01-26-2005 08:28 AM
dual boot - XP and Linux - Need to reinstall XP without effecting linux -LILO boot godofmind Linux - General 1 05-05-2004 08:13 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration