LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
dragonprasad
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Location: INDIA
Distribution: Ubuntu, windows, Android
Posts: 80
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Post Linux - gui


hello guy's

i have started to create my own LINUX from the help of Linux From Scratch. And now I am also planing to create my own GUI for it.

Is it possible to create it?
If yes then which language should i prefer?
Or can i get a sample GUI from any of the earlier LINUX versions to study it and create my own?
 
Old 12-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
TroN-0074
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan USA
Distribution: OpenSUSE 13.2 64bit-Gnome on ASUS U52F
Posts: 1,444

Rep: Reputation: 340Reputation: 340Reputation: 340Reputation: 340
I am not a developer, nor a designer but I know Gnome is done using the GTK libraries and KDE is done using QT libraries.
I think for coding they use C, C++, python and other languages.
For some reason I get the impression and think there are more applications GTK base than there are qt base

Right now the display server in Linux is having major changes and soon I believe the majority of users will be using wayland instead of X11, another group of users might be using Mir.

If you are interested in light weight graphical interfaces you should look at Enlightenment 17 (Soon to be 18)

I think what you have in mind is awesome and I want to wish you good luck on your project.

Last edited by TroN-0074; 12-09-2013 at 01:46 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,331
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529Reputation: 3529
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonprasad View Post
Is it possible to create it?
Given enough skills and time, sure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonprasad View Post
If yes then which language should i prefer?
The language you're comfortable with.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonprasad View Post
Or can i get a sample GUI from any of the earlier LINUX versions to study it and create my own?
Open Source Software means you're free to download, view and modify source code.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
berndbausch
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Location: Tokyo
Distribution: Redhat/Centos, Ubuntu, Raspbian, Fedora
Posts: 1,687

Rep: Reputation: 353Reputation: 353Reputation: 353Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonprasad View Post
hello guy's

i have started to create my own LINUX from the help of Linux From Scratch. And now I am also planing to create my own GUI for it.

Is it possible to create it?
If yes then which language should i prefer?
Or can i get a sample GUI from any of the earlier LINUX versions to study it and create my own?
Linux from Scratch has a few additional projects, including Beyond Linux from Scratch. BLFS contains instructions to add a GUI.
What do you mean by "my own GUI"?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
dragonprasad
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Location: INDIA
Distribution: Ubuntu, windows, Android
Posts: 80
Blog Entries: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by berndbausch View Post
Linux from Scratch has a few additional projects, including Beyond Linux from Scratch. BLFS contains instructions to add a GUI.
What do you mean by "my own GUI"?
my own GUI means that like other Linux developer i also want to have GUI for it and i wish to make it my self from scratch....
 
Old 12-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
dragonprasad
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Location: INDIA
Distribution: Ubuntu, windows, Android
Posts: 80
Blog Entries: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroN-0074 View Post
I am not a developer, nor a designer but I know Gnome is done using the GTK libraries and KDE is done using QT libraries.
I think for coding they use C, C++, python and other languages.
For some reason I get the impression and think there are more applications GTK base than there are qt base

Right now the display server in Linux is having major changes and soon I believe the majority of users will be using wayland instead of X11, another group of users might be using Mir.

If you are interested in light weight graphical interfaces you should look at Enlightenment 17 (Soon to be 18)

I think what you have in mind is awesome and I want to wish you good luck on your project.


Thank you for your help
 
Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
dragonprasad
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Location: INDIA
Distribution: Ubuntu, windows, Android
Posts: 80
Blog Entries: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
Open Source Software means you're free to download, view and modify source code.
can you please share the link from where i can get the GUI to study
 
Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
evo2
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Mostly Debian and Scientific Linux
Posts: 5,753

Rep: Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288Reputation: 1288
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonprasad View Post
my own GUI means that like other Linux developer i also want to have GUI for it and i wish to make it my self from scratch....
So you plan to write a display server (instead of using X11 or wayland...), graphics tool kit and full suite of graphical applications? I really don't think it is possible for a single person to do this sort of thing unless they are willing to dedicate their entire life to it. I would strongly suggest making use of already existing software. See BLFS as already suggested.

Evo2.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
dragonprasad
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Location: INDIA
Distribution: Ubuntu, windows, Android
Posts: 80
Blog Entries: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo2 View Post
Hi,

So you plan to write a display server (instead of using X11 or wayland...), graphics tool kit and full suite of graphical applications? I really don't think it is possible for a single person to do this sort of thing unless they are willing to dedicate their entire life to it. I would strongly suggest making use of already existing software. See BLFS as already suggested.

Evo2.
thanks for your suggestion.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
linux newbie..dont know how to get into GUI mode..does any GUI exists for linux..?? azizul Linux - Newbie 18 06-21-2013 11:44 AM
Cannot get GUI on any linux distro (live, install gui nor post install) 8800GTX AlteRFirE Linux - Desktop 1 07-08-2008 05:08 PM
Writing GUI front-ends: what language + what GUI library? pear Programming 7 07-07-2008 09:17 AM
Isn't Windows 95 or 98 a better GUI solution for old machines than an old Linux GUI lynchmob09 General 10 04-20-2004 02:24 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration