In this case, I think that seeking to use the newsgroup for research,
for a project that is "two or three months off," is a reasonable
use of the forum.
I advise that the moderators should therefore permit
this thread to continue.
If nobodynews were searching for an answer to be served-up on a platter, then that obviously would
be cheating. But he isn't. The question is, "I've bitten off more than I can chew
and how do I go about doing this," then that's really just using the Internet as the research-resource that it is. This is a reasonable, "high information content" place to look, and nobodynews is being entirely up-front about it.
put my community-college-instructor hat on for just a moment, however, and emphasize that the first
resource that you should always turn to is your instructor.
There are two good reasons:
- By and large, instructors do know what they are talking about.
- It is critical that an instructor be placed in the loop, and early enough to be able to actually help.
An instructor can easily be working from week-to-week and be unaware
of what is actually being absorbed and what is not. This is the main reason why I use pop-quizzes almost every single week.
It is good that you have started early
on this and that you are holding your own feet to the fire .. and I trust that you and your lab-partner will continue to do so.
You have two
- You must enable Linux to recognize the USB device and to load the appropriate driver for it, allowing the device to be communicated-with. Were I grading this assignment, it would not be good-enough if "it happened to work okay on my system." I would want you to demonstrate that you understand exactly what various Linuxes do when a device is attached or removed, and that you could tell me how to successfully install that support on a machine where that support did not now exist. I would expect you to tell me how to debug it.
- Once Linux recognizes the device, it will be X-Windows (or X-Org) which will actually be doing the talking, and producing mouse events. Again, I would expect for you to be able to demonstrate how that part works, both for X-Windows and for X-Org if they be different. I would expect you to be able to install that support and to debug it.
- You may get lucky. You may find that gamesters have already done the work for you. No matter! If the Advance Attack Team from Emperor Zubo's Army from the Planet Frobozz happened to accidentally beam their USB-enabled neutralizer-device onto your doorstep, how would you interface that device to your system? In other words, demonstrate an abstract, adaptable understanding of the topic.
Aren't you glad I'm
not your teacher?
Be sure to talk it over, though, with
your teacher... early, frequently, intelligently, and in-depth.